Non-issue? Bush waiting 7 minutes on 9/11 - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-11-2004, 10:02 AM   #16
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer

You just called the president a coward, poor form.
Yes how dare me.

I didn't call him a coward, I said it was a cowardly mistake, and I still stand by that. Big difference, even the biggest heroes have made cowardly mistakes. So don't attack me and put words in my mouth please.

How long is that transit to AF1, was it parked outside of the school? 7 minutes, is 7 minutes and for the leader of the country to choose to be left in the dark while I myself probably knew more than he did makes absolutely no sence to me.

Old 08-11-2004, 10:15 AM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 06:36 AM
are some of you really accepting the idea that he didn't want to 'freak out' the children?

if he calculated that there was little he could do so he decided to stay put, that might make sense (though i think there are reasons to doubt his capacity to do that). but to not be right on top of his nation's worst national tragedy so that story time wasn't ruined is laughable. especially since he has spent the 35 months since scaring the living crap out of the kids, their parents, siblings, friends, enemies, post delivererererer...

Old 08-11-2004, 10:36 AM   #18
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
are some of you really accepting the idea that he didn't want to 'freak out' the children?

if he calculated that there was little he could do so he decided to stay put, that might make sense (though i think there are reasons to doubt his capacity to do that). but to not be right on top of his nation's worst national tragedy so that story time wasn't ruined is laughable. especially since he has spent the 35 months since scaring the living crap out of the kids, their parents, siblings, friends, enemies, post delivererererer...
OK, perhaps this is a bit silly. I suppose one could say he was too nonchalant. When I found out about the attack on the WTC, I panicked myself because I have two sisters in New York City. One of them was living in Lower Manhattan at the time, actually not too far from the WTC! Fortunately she'd gone to work in Brooklyn. However, it took me three hours to get the news that they were OK. Those just might have been the longest three hours of my life. I was absolutely petrified, and I suppose a case could be made that Bush just should have put that book down and gone to see what in hell had happened. But I thought some other things in Fahrenheit 9/11 were stronger.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:38 AM   #19
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by kobayashi
no, he probably didn't have a clue what to do and was pondering the effects this would have:
a. on the country and
b. on him

that's what I would prolly have done

I have never tried to make anyone think of me as a decisive leader

so that still the only 'story' there is for me
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-11-2004, 10:40 AM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:36 AM
Funny, few made an issue of this before Moore's film.

Great leadership is demonstrated by calm, deliberate action.

And 7 minutes did not change a thing.
Old 08-11-2004, 10:52 AM   #21
you are what you is

Local Time: 11:36 AM
if sitting in a chair staring into space like a zomby indicates calm deliberate action is being taking and therefore equals great leadership they would have made me the president of The Netherlands years ago
“Some scientists claim that hydrogen, because it is so plentiful, is the basic building block of the universe. I dispute that. I say there is more stupidity than hydrogen, and that is the basic building block of the universe.”
~Frank Zappa
Old 08-11-2004, 10:56 AM   #22
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:36 AM
I tend to agree with nbcrusader. I'm not sure what difference those seven minutes could have made. He probably wanted to finish what he came to do, step out as quietly and quickly as possible, and in fact have a few minutes to think and to ready himself. I really have no problem with that, since no one has tendered an argument for what more could have been accomplished in those minutes, beyond something for appearance's sake.

Join Amnesty.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:12 AM   #23
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
He may have figured that if he got up and rushed out, the kids would be upset or confused
Exactly. And I can't say I'd blame him. My parents have always told me that in a situation where something bad is happening, the best thing to do is to remain as calm as you possibly can, because all panic does is create confusion and makes getting anything done even less probable than it already may be.

I honestly can accept this reasoning, kobayashi. I can also accept the idea that he was stunned. I mean, everyone likely still clearly remembers their reactions when they heard this news. I know it took me some time to register the whole thing in my head. Hell, it was still hard for me to wrap my mind around it for a good few days afterward, to be honest. The situation was just such a bizarre one, so a stunned reaction would be normal in my eyes. And hey, perhaps he was using some of that time to plan out how exactly he'd excuse himself, what he'd do once he left the room, etc., so as to, again, keep order and keep everyone calm.

Yeah. Out of all the things I could criticize Bush for, this is way, way down there on the list.

Angela
Old 08-11-2004, 11:45 AM   #24
Refugee

President Bush has made his "strong leadership" a cornerstone of his campaign. The problem with those seven minutes is that they directly call into question his role as a "strong leader." True, he could not have accomplished much in those seven minutes, but a truly strong leader would not have sat there reading The Pet Goat for seven minutes. Can you think of any other presidency where that would be acceptable? Can you imagine if Bill Clinton had sat there for seven minutes? He would have been upbraided for it the next day, national unity be damned.

As to those who say that he stayed put because he didn't want to upset the children ... Surely there are more than two options when dealing with that situation. No one is seriously suggesting that the President should have stood up and ran out of the room screaming and flailing his arms and scaring the children. He could have calmly excused himself by telling the children that he was sorry, but something very important had come up and that he had to cut their visit short. True, it may have made the kids uncomfortable, but they were going to find out about the attacks soon anyway, right? Given the events of the day, the president cutting their visit short would be the least of their worries.

All that being said, I do think that relatively it's not that big of a deal. In the larger scheme of things it's nothing more than an interesting historical footnote, really.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:54 AM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:36 AM
One of the proudest things I was ever a part of was the decision by our school to NOT make any announcements during the day about 9/11. We let them go through the day without the knowledge that theyr world was about to change dramatically.

The best part of that day was watching the kids leaving the school laughing and smiling as if it were any other day. Standing outside waving goodbye to them as the buses left the lot was a treasure for me and the members of the staff. The next day was a dark contrast to that moment.

I am baffled that this is somehow the issue du jour.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:01 PM   #26
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
One of the proudest things I was ever a part of was the decision by our school to NOT make any announcements during the day about 9/11. We let them go through the day without the knowledge that theyr world was about to change dramatically.

The best part of that day was watching the kids leaving the school laughing and smiling as if it were any other day. Standing outside waving goodbye to them as the buses left the lot was a treasure for me and the members of the staff. The next day was a dark contrast to that moment.
There is incredible wisdom in this.

On the west coast, many children arrived at school with the images of the towers in their heads. During flag deck (before classes started), my wife observed a negative mood among the children, with pushing and shoving - the kids were on edge. Throughout the day, the teachers had to remind the students that the attacks occurred far away from them.

I hope the kids in the Florida classroom spent the day with the same smiles and laughs as they did at your school Dread.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:15 PM   #27
Refugee

Since Bush may have been a target it may have been more sensible to evacuate the school so as not to put the children at risk.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:34 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

If the terrorists had the intel to hit GWB in an elementary school in Florida during his relatively brief visit, then we have bigger troubles that this "7-minute issue".
Old 08-11-2004, 12:37 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 AM
I don't believe the terrorists knew where Bush was. It's no secret that there was another target in Washington besides the Pentagon. Thus the unfortunate plane crash in Pennsylvania. The rumor was that it was supposed to hit Congress, but it could have been aimed at the White House--who knows? Plus, I do think Bush took the approach that panicking would be bad strategy. If you're the President you have to be psyched up for a crisis situation, so I'm sure he was.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:40 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
First off, in response to ThatGuy's post...I can see where you're coming from with that explanation. Makes sense.

Second...

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Wow, really? My school didn't handle it like that at all.

I remember being in my math class a few minutes before the class officially started. All of a sudden, kids were coming in talking about a plane that had hit the WTC. And I was confused-at first, I thought it was just a horrific accident. And I remembered that the WTC was in New York City, and seeing as I'd just been to that city earlier in the year, that made it even weirder. I still had no clue of the full gist of what was going on, though. Then at 9 am, a lady came over the intercom and said, "Well, I guess you've all heard about what happened by now." Well, I hadn't, so I was hoping she'd tell me. And she did. And then my teacher turned on the radio and our class spent the period listening to it. And then I went to my drama and choir classes and spent both periods watching the news clips and stuff.

Unlike the kids nbcrusader mentioned, however, the kids at my school were pretty well-behaved about it all-they were just talking about it and everything, nobody was shoving anybody or stuff like that. A few kids made some stupid jokes about it all, but for the most part, everyone was pretty respectful and everything.

But yeah, we all knew about it the day it happened. That's kinda weird to hear that your school handled it that way, Dread.

Angela