Non-American views of America/Americans - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2004, 03:16 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 11:11 AM
Non-American views of America/Americans

I find it very interesting what non americans say about the election and the people. I missed the election by 24 days as i will be 18 on the 26th. I would have voted for Kerry although its not like a dont like bush. He's done a decent job, and now he needs to clean everything up. But the country is reall y divided. i think everyone at school voted for kerry, and that sasy something about the young vote. Pennsylvania carried kerry anyway. Just wondering what everyone else was thinking.

Old 11-03-2004, 03:18 PM   #2
Refugee

and it must really suck to spend 100's of millions of dollars (fund raisers most likely) and 2 years of your life and end up a loser. But like Kerry said. "No one is a loser cause we will always wake up Americans"

Old 11-03-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:11 AM
I am most definitely a minority of foreigners on this forum who supports Bush. It comes down to the GWOT and unwavering support for Israel, the two issues are entwined. Now I will not argue the point for the next week or so because people are venting, but I have reasons that I think Bush is better for the world in the long term; backing away from the fight would seal America's fate.

Don't agree with me thats perfectly fine, but at least do so with dignity.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:34 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:11 PM
I have nothing against America as a whole. Some of my best friends are Americans, in fact. I do, however, have something against your president.

Everyone was talking about it today at school. And just about everyone was in utter shock and disappointment that Kerry didn't make it. Myself included, though I must say, I wasn't all that shocked over the results. I knew Bush would win from the word go.
Old 11-03-2004, 03:36 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:11 PM
I am very disappointed in my fellow Americans. I thought they were better.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
The Fly

Local Time: 05:11 PM
Let me try to write down my point of view as a german.

When I grew up, i always looked up to america - everybody i knew did. I always respected the United States for what they are - a great country with ideals and big ideas. Hey, it saved us from the Nazis and let our country become a great democrathy!
America always had a good reputation here in Germany, especially when Clinton was President.
Then there was the election in 00 - a total mess and betrayal to the voter, and suddenly the country that always seemed to be the perfect one wasn´t that perfect anymore. But: shit happends, I thought.
There were some people who were worried about Bush, but then again, they said: ok, what´s the matter - maybe he´s not the right man for the job of the most important man in the world, but it´s still America, the trusted country with all those ideals and bis ideas.
That´s four years ago. Only four years, but they changed it all.
At first there was 9/11, and it was one of the saddest days - not only in the US, also in the rest of the world and germany. I was shocked and fighting with tears when i saw what happened. And I was on the side of the US when they marched in in Afghanistan.

But then there was Iraq, which has nothing to do with the war on terror and was already planned before 9/11. The false resons for that war and the lies that were made to start the war.
Now there´s anti-americanism wherever you go. Many germans lost their trust and respect to the US, and all because of Mr. Bush ("Aaaaall becauuuse of yooouuu!" *g*). The country that we all looked up to turned into one that we don´t trust anymore. In only four years!! The enormous lie, that led into the Iraq-war changed it all. Then there was Kyoto, Abu-Graibh and all those things that let us lose our trust. America has lost its respect in the world because of its president. It isolated itself because of the imperialistic, greedy and dishonest politics in Iraq.
Not all germans were against the war. I wasn´t, because I trusted this president. I couldn´t imagine that the president of a great country like yours would betray the whole world. He did.

That´s why about 80 % of the german people would have voted for Kerry, and so would I have. But it was a democratic decision (and I´m glad it was!) and I respect it. And I still respect the amercian people and their country. But I hope Kerry was not right when he said, the re-election of Bush would mean "more of the same". Because I still do believe and hope, that the people here can look up to america the way they did before and respect and trust it. But I´m afraid that this will take another four years and another election.
Nevertheless, I´m not as negative as many others in my country because I know that America is better that its president.
God bless you!
Old 11-03-2004, 06:02 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Always good to have a true believers out there, even when they disagree with the administration.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:39 PM   #8
MacPhisto's serving wench

Quote:
Originally posted by FlamingRudy
Hey, it saved us from the Nazis . . .

There were many many other countries involved in removing the Nazis from power...
Old 11-03-2004, 06:40 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

They saved them from the Soviet Union.
Old 11-03-2004, 06:43 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by FlamingRudy
Let me try to write down my point of view as a german.

Nevertheless, I´m not as negative as many others in my country because I know that America is better then its president.
God bless you!
Amen.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:01 PM   #11
The Fly

One of the major concerns I have is that foreign media portrays what they want to portray of the US. I watch the BBC news frequently and am amazed by the absolute bias they reflect. I can only imagine it is far worse in some other media outlets. There also seem to be many non-Americans who seem to favor Kerry, or dislike Bush, without having all points of view presented to them. I have had the same issue with people from outside of MA tell me what a good leader Kerry is without really knowing in detail what his record is or what he stands for. In fact, many people in MA who voted for him can't tell me exactly why. I think all dissenting views should always be analyzed and tolerated. I just wish more people were informed on the details of every issue. We, as Americans, I think always try to do the best we can in helping others around the globe. You may not always agree with our methods. It is your right as free people. Others around the globe are not as lucky.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:09 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Boston01
One of the major concerns I have is that foreign media portrays what they want to portray of the US.
That actually works both ways. I find American media astonishingly bad. And I can definitely see bias (both ways) in the media here in Australia and overseas. Just watch and read more from more corners of the globe. Eventually you'll read/hear enough different opinions to get an opinion.
Old 11-03-2004, 07:22 PM   #13
The Fly

The American media has been astonishingly bad throughout this madman's term. It has managed to get its act together somewhat over the last few months but way too late. As a European who hates Bush and everything that he stands for I really fear for our world over the next four years. To those Americans who voted against Bush I hope u know that the rest of the world realises that u are there and that u will be there in the future. Take care.
Old 11-03-2004, 08:16 PM   #14
War Child

Flaming Rudy: Nice writing!
Old 11-04-2004, 12:04 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:11 AM
my views of america are probably best not expressed.

i don't hate americans. there's many here that i really like at interference alone, and i know a good deal in real too.

however, the administration and the mentality of a good number of american folk that i've encoutered makes me heave.

perhaps a quick lesson in geography would improve matters, but i'm afraid their government is more interested in spending money on wars they don't need to fight rather than giving it to an education system that doesn't offer any immediate monetary rewards for a company such as halliburton.

look at me, i'm rambling. my apologies, it's late and my words are mudded. perhaps tommorow i'll come back and articulate my feelings better.

however, it is important to stress that i do not hate americans. not even maybe. i love them like i love canadians and anyone else.