Nomination or an Oscar

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
The nominating film to be shown tonight was crafted by Steven Spielberg's associate James Moll.

It will include footage from Kerry's Vietnam days. There are claims that the footage was actually "reenacted" by Kerry in a non-combat situation.

The film's maker also admits to "enhancing" the film by adding "bullets in the water" during some scenes.

The film is titled "A Remarkable Promise"

"There are claims that" Drudge doesn't always report factual stories, and that Fox News distorts the truth. :wink:

http://mediamatters.org/items/200407290002

Edited to add this relevant quote from the filmmaker:

And you know, this isn't a piece of journalism.

Yes, he did add shots of bullets on the water for effect. It's a shame that Kerry coudn't capture them on film while he was there but he was, you know, getting shot at.

Last edited:
Excellent article, ThatGuy.

That said, I don't like adding bullets in the water for effect. It's too melodramatic and...oh, Hollywood.

Bill Clinton said it best.

When Viet Nam was happening George Bush, Dick Cheney and I did not want to go.

John Kerry left Havard and said "send me."

Then he said "send me" on the swift boats to flush out enemey fire.

Reenactments, enhanced or not.
We know where he was and what he volenteered for.

I agree that the bullets on the water shot is a little silly. But in an eleven minute film I doubt they take up more than a second or two.

deep said:
Bill Clinton said it best.

When Viet Nam was happening George Bush, Dick Cheney and I did not want to go.

John Kerry left Havard and said "send me."

Then he said "send me" on the swift boats to flush out enemey fire.

Reenactments, enhanced or not.
We know where he was and what he volenteered for.

We also know that John Kerry refered to Colin Powell, members of my family as well as all soldiers fighting in Vietnam as war criminals. Yet, in John Kerry's 4 MONTHS of service in Vietnam, he was forced to admit that he never saw any atrocities committed by US troops. John Kerry spent far more time attacking this country and its military during that war than serving it in Vietnam. Whether or not you think that was the right thing to do, it is a fact.

We also know that when John Kerry campaigned for the Senate in 1984, he campaigned on a platform that advocated preventing or stopping the production of the M1 Tank, M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle, Apache Attack Helicopter, and the Patriot Missile. All of these Weapon Systems are currently VITAL to the men and women defending our country around the world, yet John Kerry would have prefered that they not have these weapon systems, each of which is the BEST in their fields.

Didn't Dick Cheney also propose large cuts in the military?

Cheney Proposed Cutting F-16 Aircraft. In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Cheney said, "If you're going to have a smaller air force, you don't need as many F-16s...The F-16D we basically continue to buy and close it out because we're not going to have as big a force structure and we won't need as many F-16s." According to the Boston Globe, Bush's 1991 defense budget "kill[ed] 81 programs for potential savings of $ 11.9 billion...Major weapons killed include[d]....the Air Force's F-16 airplane." [Cheney testimony, House Armed Services Committee, 2/7/91; Boston Globe, 2/5/91]

Cheney Proposed Cuts to B-2 Program. According to the Boston Globe, in 1990, "Defense Secretary Richard Cheney announced a cutback... of nearly 45 percent in the administration's B-2 Stealth bomber program, from 132 airplanes to 75..." [Boston Globe, 4/27/90]

Cheney Proposed Cutting AH-64 Apaches. In testimony before the Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, Cheney said, "This is just a list of some of the programs that I've recommended termination: the V-22 Osprey, the F-14D, the Army Helicopter Improvement Program, Phoenix missile, F-15E, the Apache helicopter, the M1 tank, et cetera." In testimony before the House Armed Services Committee, Cheney said, "The Army, as I indicated in my earlier testimony, recommended to me that we keep a robust Apache helicopter program going forward, AH-64...I forced the Army to make choices...So I recommended that we cancel the AH-64 program two years out." [Cheney testimony, Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, 6/12/90; Cheney Testimony, House Armed Services Committee, 7/13/89, emphasis added]

Cheney Proposed Cutting M-1 Abrams Tanks. In testimony before the Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, Cheney said, "This is just a list of some of the programs that I've recommended termination: the V-22 Osprey, the F-14D, the Army Helicopter Improvement Program, Phoenix missile, F-15E, the Apache helicopter, the M1 tank, et cetera." The Boston Globe reported on the impact of Cheney's cuts to armored tanks: "The Army's cupboard is left particularly bare. Coming in the wake of last year's killing of the M-1 tank and the Apache helicopter, the death of the M-2 means the Army will soon have virtually no major weapons in production." [Cheney testimony, Senate Appropriations Committee, Defense Subcommittee, 6/12/90; Boston Globe, 2/5/91]

Cheney Proposed Cutting B-52 Bombers. In 1990, Cheney proposed cutting 14 B-52 bombers. Cheney also sought the retirement of two Navy battleships, two nuclear cruisers, and eight nuclear-powered attack submarines. In 1991, Cheney scrapped the Navy's A-12 Stealth attack plane, a fighter that was proclaimed to be a key part of the future of navy aviation in advanced stealth technology. [Newsday, 2/5/91; NY Times, 1/8/91; Boston Globe, 4/27/90; Boston Globe, 1/30/90]
From http://www.democrats.org/specialreports/cheney_record/

STING2 said:

We also know that John Kerry refered to Colin Powell, members of my family as well as all soldiers fighting in Vietnam as war criminals. Yet, in John Kerry's 4 MONTHS of service in Vietnam, he was forced to admit that he never saw any atrocities committed by US troops. John Kerry spent far more time attacking this country and its military during that war than serving it in Vietnam. Whether or not you think that was the right thing to do, it is a fact.

We also know that when John Kerry campaigned for the Senate in 1984, he campaigned on a platform that advocated preventing or stopping the production of the M1 Tank, M2 Bradley Fighting Vehicle, Apache Attack Helicopter, and the Patriot Missile. All of these Weapon Systems are currently VITAL to the men and women defending our country around the world, yet John Kerry would have prefered that they not have these weapon systems, each of which is the BEST in their fields.

I never saw any abuses in Abu graib prision.

Sting do you do a disservice to the memories of the 58000 names on the wall by wanting a Commander in Chief that said.

something along the lines of: ?I wasn?t about to blow out my eardrum with a shotgun, and I didn?t have the option of movig to Canada, so I decided to better myself by learning how to fly airplanes?.... He?s the one who originally made the connection of using the national guard to avoid service in Vietnam.

You choose a coward over a hero?

Back
Top Bottom