Nobel peace prize won by jimmy carter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
An Amazing man?.. Well, I love the justification for him winning this now marginilized pile of shit. "For criticizing American Policy."

Nothing more than a swipe at W. and his administration.

L. Unplugged

See you in Alumni Alley SF?

no alumni alley for me. i like to sit down. i'm old and lame.

omg you're back. :sad: ;)

he didn't win for criticizing american policy. don't be lame.

Lemonite said:
An Amazing man?.. Well, I love the justification for him winning this now marginilized pile of shit. "For criticizing American Policy."

You just don't like Democrats. ;) Besides, this was the "Nobel Peace Prize," not the "Nobel War Prize."

Melon

Lemonite said:

You don't seem to understand why he won, and with that attitude, you probably never will.

From CNN.com

Announcing the winner on Friday, the five-member Norwegian Nobel Committee praised Carter's decades of "untiring effort to find peaceful solutions to international conflicts, to advance democracy and human rights, and to promote economic and social development."

"In a situation currently marked by threats of the use of power, Carter has stood by the principles that conflicts must as far as possible be resolved through mediation and international cooperation based on international law, respect for human rights and economic development," the Nobel Committee said.

Congratulations, President Carter. :)

melon said:
You just don't like Democrats. ;) Besides, this was the "Nobel Peace Prize," not the "Nobel War Prize."

Melon

Carter has set the standard for ex-presidential behavior. He puts his beliefs into action, as demonstrated by his endless support of Habitat for Humanity.

Just a thought (and not related to Carter), but does the Nobel committee have a narrow view of those eligible as a Peace Prize winner? Peace is sometime obtained by taking a hawkish attitude. Forty years of enormous destructive power in the now unified Germany is gone. Does that qualify as peace?

Congratulations!!!!

The man is absolutely inspirational to anyone who is a global citizen. I'm surprised he hasn't been honored with the Nobel Peace Prize before this.

Even the fact that people nominated Bono for his humanitarian contributions to the world is a supreme honor. This award celebrates lifetime achievements, so I would not be surprised to see him honored one day...cause I don't think he's going to stop caring and being 'the Pest'.

:hug:

nbcrusader said:
Carter has set the standard for ex-presidential behavior. He puts his beliefs into action, as demonstrated by his endless support of Habitat for Humanity.

Indeed. I think his actions have been proven over the past two decades that he is instrumental for peace.

Just a thought (and not related to Carter), but does the Nobel committee have a narrow view of those eligible as a Peace Prize winner? Peace is sometime obtained by taking a hawkish attitude. Forty years of enormous destructive power in the now unified Germany is gone. Does that qualify as peace?

I think that, in this case, it is certainly possible for peace, but this judgment in regards to the current "war on terror" will only be achieved by time; seeing as to whether these actions will indeed inspire peace, if these actions will only achieve American economical dominance, or if these actions will only inflame violence. Again, the only way to see this is through the passage of time, hence making judgment on Bush or Blair and their actions thus far to be highly premature.

Melon

I always thought Jimmy C to be an extriordiary humanitarian:)

The best President- No.
Humanitarian? Yes:up:

Too honest and revealing in Playboy Interview?- Yes

A good decent human being who brought 2 men together at Camp David?-yes

He deserves the prize..

diamond
:dance:

In my opinion:

The man was too good a human being to be president.

This probably sounds strange, but, this is how I feel. I have the utmost respect for him as a human being.

I think Jimmy Carter earned this Prize. He's championed human rights in so many ways--from monitoring elections to make sure they're democratic to supporting Habitat for Humanity and so much else. Congrats to a fellow native of the U.S. South.

Dreadsox said:
In my opinion:

The man was too good a human being to be president.

This probably sounds strange, but, this is how I feel. I have the utmost respect for him as a human being.

this is exactly what i said to my co-worker today. i agree completely.

it was interesting, or tiresome probably is a better word, I turned on some of the conservative pundits today just to hear what their reaction would be, and of course they set out bashing the credibility of award and its voters, I guess the very idea of a "peace prize" is lost on those who clamor for war, someone even went as far as to blaim to rise of Bin Laden on Carter for granting amnesty to draft dodgers of Vietnam, thus "paving the way for Clinton to become president," and "creating" the situation in Afghanistan... and there are still people who give this man's program an ounce of credibility? (I'm talking about Rush btw, no he didnt actually say those words himself, he had one of his "callers" say that for him, but everyone knows he only takes screened calls and most definitely knew what this caller's agenda was, to his credit he made a snickering laugh and said, "oh I hadn't even thought of that!")

mega dildos Rush...

Ok..who was it from here who posted the opinion on the BBC talking point page about the Prize... the one about how Bono should have won...fess up! :)

I honestly thought Jimmy Carter had already won it...I approve of the choice.

dream wanderer

The Wanderer said:
it was interesting, or tiresome probably is a better word, I turned on some of the conservative pundits today just to hear what their reaction would be, and of course they set out bashing the credibility of award and its voters, I guess the very idea of a "peace prize" is lost on those who clamor for war, someone even went as far as to blaim to rise of Bin Laden on Carter for granting amnesty to draft dodgers of Vietnam, thus "paving the way for Clinton to become president," and "creating" the situation in Afghanistan... and there are still people who give this man's program an ounce of credibility? (I'm talking about Rush btw, no he didnt actually say those words himself, he had one of his "callers" say that for him, but everyone knows he only takes screened calls and most definitely knew what this caller's agenda was, to his credit he made a snickering laugh and said, "oh I hadn't even thought of that!")

mega dildos Rush...

So any extremist who calls is setup by Rush to express an opinion that is unpopular? Wow! You liberals are hilariously cynical!

"and of course they set out bashing the credibility of award and its voters, I guess the very idea of a "peace prize" is lost on those who clamor for war"

I don't remember many conservatives bashing Kissinger when he received the peace prize. Sorry, I don't want to bring up historical facts, I know that it hurts you inside. :ohmy:

It is very disturbing to see the great majority's incessant resistance to acknowledge a fact of human nature that the world we live in is a world regulated and ruled by the threat and the manifestation of excessive force. To think this can be changed is well.. noble, but ignorant.

To think that a man who has disrupted a terrorist network in means unseen before, placed before the world a plan to bring peace to the 2000 old shithole that is Palestine, and make headway into revolutionizing the Middle East as it is known.. Ultimately bringing Peace, and not just a round table discussion with Belly dancers below the table revolting ham and giving BJ's, is shameful, and nothing more than a slap in the face for the Bush Administration.

However, it is nice to know that Bill Clinton is furious at this.

L.Unplugged

Lemonite said:
It is very disturbing to see the great majority's incessant resistance to acknowledge a fact of human nature that the world we live in is a world regulated and ruled by the threat and the manifestation of excessive force. To think this can be changed is well.. noble, but ignorant.

To think that a man who has disrupted a terrorist network in means unseen before, placed before the world a plan to bring peace to the 2000 old shithole that is Palestine, and make headway into revolutionizing the Middle East as it is known.. Ultimately bringing Peace, and not just a round table discussion with Belly dancers below the table revolting ham and giving BJ's, is shameful, and nothing more than a slap in the face for the Bush Administration.

However, it is nice to know that Bill Clinton is furious at this.

L.Unplugged

Patience is clearly not a virtue of yours. As I stated before, most of what the Bush Administration has done, so far, can easily be rendered as incomplete. Post-Taliban Afghanistan, as it appears, is not a land of peace and stability currently, but will it later? That is what time shall tell. As for the rest of the "war on terror"? *Nothing* has happened, and all of it has been talk. That is *not* to say that this won't change in the future, and that is why any talk of Bush receiving a Nobel Peace Prize for what he has done so far would be nothing more than a politically-charged award and, objectively, has nothing to do than actual realizations of peace. Jimmy Carter's actions are twenty years in the making. Dubya's actions are still yet to be seen and proven to actually be instrumental in formulating peace or whether it will just inflame global violence.

Melon

melon said:

. Dubya's actions are still yet to be seen and proven to actually be instrumental in formulating peace or whether it will just inflame global violence.

Melon

Well lets wait and see:)

DB9
:dance:

PS-

Something tells me GW has did somethings-good things that we dont even know about yet-(behind the scenes ) to make the world a safer place:up:

At a future date many will be eating crow:yes:

Lemonite said:
2000 old shithole that is Palestine

I realise I haven't been here a lot recently and probably have no right to make this comment, but I'm going to say it anyway. Lemonite, please, get a freaking clue about the subject you're talking about! Do you know ANYTHING about Palestine or the Palestinian people? Do you know anything of their culture or their history? Perhaps you'd like to explain to some Palestinian friends of mine, who, by the way, are some of the most intelligent people I've ever been fortunate enough to meet, exactly why you believe their country to be a "shithole." Or perhaps you'd just like to tell me why you hold such a negative opinion of Palestine?

FizzingWhizzbees said:

I realise I haven't been here a lot recently and probably have no right to make this comment, but I'm going to say it anyway. Lemonite, please, get a freaking clue about the subject you're talking about! Do you know ANYTHING about Palestine or the Palestinian people? Do you know anything of their culture or their history? Perhaps you'd like to explain to some Palestinian friends of mine, who, by the way, are some of the most intelligent people I've ever been fortunate enough to meet, exactly why you believe their country to be a "shithole." Or perhaps you'd just like to tell me why you hold such a negative opinion of Palestine?

First, Palestine is not a state. Secondly, I don't think shithole refers to the people or the culture as much as the current physical condition of Palestinian territory. I might be wrong though.

Back
Top Bottom