Nobel Peace Prize Awarded

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My final statement which none of you have so far accepted is that her contributions to Kenya far outweigh her statement which y'all disagree with. :ohmy:

On the whole, she is an excellent candidate for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I can say no more than what I have already said.

THE GOAL IS SOUL....:up: :yes:

Jamila said:
My final statement which none of you have so far accepted is that her contributions to Kenya far outweigh her statement which y'all disagree with. :ohmy:

I think it'd be more accurate to say that no one is arguing about her work in replenishing the forests of Kenya.

But you can't possibly defend her statement on AIDS.

Ok, she thinks the West (US!!!) created a killer virus to keep her people under control. Somehow I don't find that very respectable!

You all have your own personal agenda's you BUSH suppoprters all of you. :wink:

Dr. Teeth you especially have clearly been a Bush supporter and you are known to post in here with your secret little agrnda.

Anitram, take the Bush bumoer sticker off your car. Clearly you are Blinded by your LOVE for the Bush administration.

Speedy, you can't see through the red white and blue shades. We must accept everything someone says at all times, or you shall be found lacking.

Jamila said:
" Maathai....said her comments in August were intended to promote an inquiring attitude to AIDS among Africans and combat the fatalistic notion that it was a curse from God."

As the State Department said you do not have to agree with her on every issue.

Again her contributions to peace, democracy, poverty alleviation and women's rights in Kenya far outweigh the fact that some people are offended by her anti-American statements.

Nelson Mandela and Rev. Desmond Tutu are completely outspoken in their dislike for Bush and his administration. Does this undermine their credibility?

No - being suspicious of the U.S government who has historically supported repressive governments which exploited their people and robbed their countries' treasuries in Africa is a natural reaction in many parts of the continent.

Again, your comments show a narrow worldview - only looking at life through your own viewpoints.

The only way to understand some Africans' suspicions of the developed world, especially of the USA, is to put your own viewpoints on the backshelf and try to walk in someone else's shoes.

But that is hard for some folks. :ohmy:

1) I take offense to her statements on a FAR deeper level than the fact that I'm American.

2) Desmond Tutu is one of the wisest people I've ever had the pleasure of hearing and what he says is informed, not statements that are so completely absurd they can't have any other purpose other than to get people riled up.

3) America is not the only cause of the current state of corruption and underdevelopment in Africa.

4) The first documented cases of AIDS occured in the USA in 1981, NOT in Africa, NOT in some lab. Also,
Is it known where the emergence of HIV in humans took place?

Many people now assume that because HIV has apparently developed from a form of SIV found in a type of chimpanzee in West Africa, that is was actually in West Africa that HIV first emerged in humans. It is then presumed that HIV spread from there around the world.

However, as discussed above, chimpanzees are not necessarily the original source of HIV and it is likely that the virus crossed over to humans on more than one occasion. So it is quite possible that HIV emerged at the same time in say both South America and Africa, or that it even emerged in the Americas before it emerged in Africa.

So, what, the US plants AIDS in different parts of Africa and then just for fun, infects itself?

Last edited:
I once had a classmate who was from Liberia, who said that many Africans think AIDS stands for American Invention to Discourage Sex. It looks like a lot of Africans share the same views as Maathai.

But this guy said he didn't share those beliefs at all, and he said that was because he was more educated on this issue.

And here's a well educated woman saying such things

Last edited:
Pearl said:
I once had a classmate who was from Liberia, who said that many Africans think AIDS stands for American Invention to Discourage Sex. It looks like a lot of Africans share the same views as Maathai.

It's just so frusterating though b/c here we are in the 21st century trying to overcome racism and it's like one step forward, two steps back. :mad:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom