Nobel Peace Prize Awarded - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-11-2004, 01:38 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:47 AM
Why do people immediately jump up and use "hostility"? Is nobody allowed to ask questions anymore?

Quote:
"Some say that AIDS came from the monkeys, and I doubt that because we have been living with monkeys (since) time immemorial, others say it was a curse from God, but I say it cannot be that.

"Us black people are dying more than any other people in this planet," Ms Maathai told a press conference in Nairobi a day after winning the prize for her work in human rights and reversing deforestation across Africa.

"It's true that there are some people who create agents to wipe out other people. If there were no such people, we could have not have invaded Iraq," she said.

"We invaded Iraq because we believed that Saddam Hussein had made, or was in the process of creating agents of biological warfare," said Ms Maathai.

"In fact it (the HIV virus) is created by a scientist for biological warfare," she added.

"Why has there been so much secrecy about AIDS? When you ask where did the virus come from, it raises a lot of flags. That makes me suspicious," Ms Maathai said.
I am a scientist, and I personally find this to be an incredibly offensive statement by her, as well as extremely irresponsible. I'm not saying she's necessarily undeserving of the award, but what she's saying is utter garbage, and DrTeeth and others have every right to call her on it.

And yes, this award was also given out to Yasser Arafat, so there you have it.

Old 10-11-2004, 01:41 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Oh, and that was AFTER she won the Nobel. These are her statements before:

Quote:
"We know that the developed nations are using biological warfare, leaving guns to the primitive people," the Standard quoted Maathai as telling a public workshop in the central Kenyan town of Nyeri on August 30.

"They have the resources to do this."

"AIDS (is) not a curse from God to Africans or the black people," she said, according to the paper's account of the meeting published a day later.

"It is a tool to control them designed by some evil-minded scientists, but we may not know who particularly did."

Old 10-11-2004, 01:45 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:47 AM
Wait... she believes a mad scientist created the AIDS virus to control Africam Americans?

Did I hear that right?
Old 10-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #19
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 09:47 PM
Apparently that is what she believes but because she's a Nobel prize winner, we're supposed to sweep it under the carpet and pretend those quotes don't exist.
Old 10-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

She's so wrong. It came from monkeys.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:17 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:47 AM
That's crazy.
Old 10-11-2004, 02:40 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 03:47 PM
After giving the award to terrorist kingpin Yassir Arafat I have a lot less respect for it.
Old 10-11-2004, 06:49 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:47 PM
Can anyone post an actual link to an actual article with these comments?

And, if Ms. Maathai actually did state those comments, that still does not diminish the fact that she has helped to reforestate her country, has provided thousands of poor Kenyan women with an economic means to take care of their families, have fought for the economic and political rights of women in her country and worked tirelessly for political democracy in her country when it was under a repressive government.

The simple fact is that most people here had no idea who this courageous woman was a week ago, but are now experts on her!

Wangari Maathai has more ATTRUBUTES than she has liabilities. On the whole, she is an excellent choice for the Nobel Peace Prize.

I think the fact that Arafat was once awarded this prize (along with Yitzak Rabin) is the underlying reason why people are demeaning this Prize.

That is very short-sighted.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:00 PM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

Jamila, go and Google it. It will take you less than 1.3 seconds to come up with hundreds of links.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #25
BAW
The Flower

http://www.reuters.co.uk/newsArticle...toryID=6458267
Old 10-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Why do people immediately jump up and use "hostility"? Is nobody allowed to ask questions anymore?

I am a scientist, and I personally find this to be an incredibly offensive statement by her, as well as extremely irresponsible.
Not to mention really stupid. I mean, if we did invent AIDS as a plague to leash upon the people of Africa, we'd probably also have invented a vaccine to protect ourselves as well...
Old 10-11-2004, 07:39 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:47 PM
" Maathai....said her comments in August were intended to promote an inquiring attitude to AIDS among Africans and combat the fatalistic notion that it was a curse from God."

As the State Department said you do not have to agree with her on every issue.

Again her contributions to peace, democracy, poverty alleviation and women's rights in Kenya far outweigh the fact that some people are offended by her anti-American statements.

Nelson Mandela and Rev. Desmond Tutu are completely outspoken in their dislike for Bush and his administration. Does this undermine their credibility?

No - being suspicious of the U.S government who has historically supported repressive governments which exploited their people and robbed their countries' treasuries in Africa is a natural reaction in many parts of the continent.

Again, your comments show a narrow worldview - only looking at life through your own viewpoints.

The only way to understand some Africans' suspicions of the developed world, especially of the USA, is to put your own viewpoints on the backshelf and try to walk in someone else's shoes.

But that is hard for some folks.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:46 PM   #28
BAW
The Flower

Why are you assuming anyone is taking issue with her "un-American" statements instead of her blatantly wrong, uninformed views on the AIDS virus?
Old 10-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila
"Again her contributions to peace, democracy, poverty alleviation and women's rights in Kenya far outweigh the fact that some people are offended by her anti-American statements.

WTF?

I'm not even American, I don't give a half a crap what she thinks about the current administration, although for the record, it seems like you're projecting your own thoughts on the woman, since nowhere in her statements did I see anything particularly anti-Bush, or anti-America. Just a bunch of incorrect crap and slander against the same scientists who are trying to save the people she claims we're out to kill.
Old 10-11-2004, 07:49 PM   #30
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Jamila

The only way to understand some Africans' suspicions of the developed world, especially of the USA, is to put your own viewpoints on the backshelf and try to walk in someone else's shoes.

But that is hard for some folks.
I wouldn't blame an uneducated person from Africa for thinking that AIDS was a biological weapon.

But apparently Wangari Maathai used to be a professor in veterinary medicine, and she held a visiting position at Yale University. I don't think her comments about AIDS can be construed as ignorance.