Nobel Peace Prize

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BostonAnne said:

:ohmy: I'll need to keep a better eye on that boy :yikes: I hope he didn't offend you guys.

He claims to be a Democrat, but you never know. :shrug:

um, what does MILF stand for?

Are you kidding me....:wink:

Meeting you and your son made the night all that more spectacular! You have a GREAT kid on your hands.

OSLO, Norway (CNN) -- The U.N. nuclear watchdog and its head, Mohamed ElBaradei, won the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for their efforts to limit the spread of atomic weapons.

"for their efforts to prevent nuclear energy from being used for military purposes and to ensure that nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is used in the safest possible way"

Congratulations to International Atomic Energy Agency and Mohamed ElBaradei. :up:

(and thank you to MrsSpringsteen for posting links and info in this thread)

Wow the IAEA won it?

Haha. Its located right around my corner. Actually, I know a few people from there.. very interesting, they told me about their systems etc. when we visited them in the intl. organization political sciences course.

The peace nobel prize... huh. I wouldn´t have expected the IAEA to get it.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9618236/

051007_elbaradei_vmed_4a.widec.jpg

The U.N. nuclear watchdog and its head, Mohamed ElBaradei, won the 2005 Nobel Peace Prize on Friday for their efforts to limit the spread of atomic weapons.

Of course, they accomplished next to nothing in 2005. Perhaps they should have gotten the award in a different year.

Dreadsox said:

Are you kidding me....:wink:

Meeting you and your son made the night all that more spectacular! You have a GREAT kid on your hands.

:hug: We had a great time too! :)

(and I'm feeling very proud of my great kid right now... :) )

meh... i certainly didn't think bono would win, but i do think he's more worthy than these jokers, who really haven't accomplished anything this year. iraq is a mess, iran is doing what they want, and so is north korea. what makes these guys worthy of winning? because they're trying? swell... bono's trying and accomplishing. this is a very political selection and it's a joke.

if i was jamilia, i'd be pissed.

BostonAnne said:

I believe he will win it eventually. :)

i agree.

you know why? i stayed up late to watch Conan last night and feel like dog poo today, but i noticed that Bono was at his most engaged and excited not when talking about U2 or the tour but when talking about Africa.

it does sound like he's at the beginning of losing interest in U2 and becoming a full time activist.

this might take 5 years, but, it seems to me, that Africa is where his heart is.

(ducks)

nbcrusader said:

Of course, they accomplished next to nothing in 2005. Perhaps they should have gotten the award in a different year.

I think nobel prizes are not awarded for a certain year, but more for the course of hard work in a period of several years to decades.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
more worthy than these jokers, who really haven't accomplished anything this year. iraq is a mess, iran is doing what they want, and so is north korea.

Don´t forget it was the IAEA who pressured to stay inside of Iraq to continue their inspections. It´s your political leaders who kicked them out. Also don´t forget that the US haven´t found any nuclear weapons of mass destruction in Iraq up until now, 2 years after the invasion.

You should also take notice that the whole "problem" with North Korea was brought up by the IAEA as early as 2002.

I´ll just give you a few more bits of info, since you don´t seem to be looking on their website. Not everything is reported by mainstream media.

I, for one, think it´s ok they won the prize, even if I would have preferred it to go to others. But sure enough, imo the IAEA is doing good work, even if I am very critical of their pro-nuclear opinion when it comes to peaceful use.

5 October 2005 | Fourteen kilograms of highly enriched uranium that could be used to assemble a nuclear weapon have been safely returned to the Russian Federation from the Czech Republic. The mission was a joint effort between the IAEA, the United States, the Czech Republic and Russia, as part of the Global Threat Reduction Initiative.

27 September 2005 | Countries reported 121 incidents to the IAEA in 2004 of illicit trafficking and other unauthorized activities involving nuclear and other radioactive materials,

24 September 2005 | At the end of week-long meetings beginning 19 September, the IAEA Board of Governors adopted a resolution on the implementation of safeguards in the Islamic Republic of Iran.

23 September 2005 | The IAEA Board of Governors has moved to strengthen the nuclear safeguards system. The Board agreed on modifications to what is known as a Small Quantities Protocol (SQP) designed for States that have little or no nuclear material and no nuclear material in facilities.

19 September 2005 | IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei has welcomed the commitment by the Democratic People´s Republic of Korea (DPRK, North Korea) to abandon nuclear weapons, and rejoin the Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty (NPT).

16 August 2005 | Scientists are re-examining the potential dangers to nuclear power plants in the wake of the catastrophic earthquake that struck the Indian Ocean last December, triggering a massive tsunami.

8 August 2005 | IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei has informed members of the Board of Governors that Iran today started to feed uranium ore concentrate into the first part of the process line at its Uranium Conversion Facility.

5 August 2005 | At a commemorative event marking the 60th anniversary of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings, IAEA Director General ElBaradei said the only way to prevent these from ever happening again is to bring about an end to all nuclear weapons. The commermorative event was held in front the Bell of Peace shrine at the Vienna International Centre.

29 July 2005 | Continued support to Armenia to help plan its energy needs has been committed by IAEA Director General Mohamed ElBaradei during a two-day visit, 27 – 28 July 2005, in which he met with the Armenian President, Prime Minister, ministers of Foreign Affairs, Energy, and Health, as well as the head of the Armenian Nuclear Regulatory Authority (ANRA).

4 July 2005 | Hundreds of delegates from some 80 countries opened a conference in Vienna this week to consider and adopt amendments to the international Convention on the Physical Protection of Nuclear Material.

27 June 2005 | Concerned by the increased threats posed by terrorism, more than 350 delegates from 80 States parties to the CPPNM will gather in a five day Conference beginning on Monday, 4 July 2005 that is expected to adopt additional measures, aimed at averting nuclear terrorism, smuggling and sabotage.

28 June 2005 | An IAEA project to help African countries study and manage shared groundwater supplies has received a matching grant of $1 million from the Global Environment Facility (GEF).

26 May 2005 | The IAEA has helped Latvian authorities remove weapons grade material from a shut down research reactor in Salaspils, close to the capital Riga.

20 May 2005 | The IAEA is working more closely with the United Nations Environment Program (UNEP) and other partners to help countries assess and manage limited water resources.

4 May 2005 | The International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) is coordinating a test of radiological emergency plans through a simulated accident at the Cernavoda nuclear power plant in eastern Romania starting on May 11, 2005.

14 April 2005 | The international treaty against nuclear terrorism adopted by the United Nations General Assembly this week bolters the global legal framework to counter terrorist threats, including cooperation with the IAEA.

8 April 2005 | Top nuclear officials from more than 30 countries are at IAEA headquarters for two weeks in April to review the safety of nuclear power plants. The countries are parties to an international convention that binds them to achieve and maintain high standards of safety at land-based nuclear installations.

17 January 2005 | IAEA Director General Dr. Mohamed ElBaradei is in Ghana and Nigeria this week on a routine visit to see how the tools of nuclear science and technology are helping these countries meet critical needs.

etc. etc.

I think one can hardly say the IAEA did "nothing much" in 2005.

Irvine511 said:

i agree.

you know why? i stayed up late to watch Conan last night and feel like dog poo today, but i noticed that Bono was at his most engaged and excited not when talking about U2 or the tour but when talking about Africa.

it does sound like he's at the beginning of losing interest in U2 and becoming a full time activist.

this might take 5 years, but, it seems to me, that Africa is where his heart is.

(ducks)

I don't think he's losing interest in U2 at all. He has tons of fun with U2 and needs and enjoys it. I think his heart is in both places (oh ya and with his family too. :heart:)

whenhiphopdrovethebigcars said:

I think nobel prizes are not awarded for a certain year, but more for the course of hard work in a period of several years to decades.

I agree. For example the science awards are generally awarded to people who's work took decades, even lifetimes. Why should the Peace Prize be awarded to someone who does something showy for a year? The peace programs that work aren't just quick one off deals, they are boring, continuous, and very long term.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
meh... i certainly didn't think bono would win, but i do think he's more worthy than these jokers, who really haven't accomplished anything this year. iraq is a mess,

iraq????

they were right on about iraq NOT reconstituting their nuclear program

Bush administration probably created phony yellow-cake document and IAEA did not buy it

Bush and cronies wanted this guy out and pushed for it

they got SHOT down 100 per cent
this prize is one more example of the repudiation of the BUSH administration

iraq is a mess, so true

Blame the idiots in the administration

I am not sure if Bono deserved the award or not, he may still be a bit 'green,' but any organization linked to the U.N. in my opinon should not even be in the running for this award (at least the modern UN of today and the past 5 years.)

They have done many shameful things, and I am not so sure this organization has done more to halt proliferation of nukes, than the fear that the modern governments of today have.

(not that that is OK.)

It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth that the nuclear subject even was the reason for the awarding of the prize. I think it is a bit early to tell what some countries are going to do with this technology, and the fact that Africa is starving and 'burning' is absolutely inexplicable.

Maybe someone did not get the prize because enough has not been done in, or for Africa, but I do hope this turns around.

ouizy said:
I am not sure if Bono deserved the award or not, he may still be a bit 'green,' but any organization linked to the U.N. in my opinon should not even be in the running for this award (at least the modern UN of today and the past 5 years.)

They have done many shameful things, and I am not so sure this organization has done more to halt proliferation of nukes, than the fear that the modern governments of today have.

(not that that is OK.)

It just leaves a sour taste in my mouth that the nuclear subject even was the reason for the awarding of the prize. I think it is a bit early to tell what some countries are going to do with this technology, and the fact that Africa is starving and 'burning' is absolutely inexplicable.

Maybe someone did not get the prize because enough has not been done in, or for Africa, but I do hope this turns around.

I do agree to what you say about the African cause, but I don´t agree to what you say about the UN. I think most of the bashing of the UN organizations occured in the United States. Apparently the Nobel Academy does not share your view either. I am sure there are good reasons for it.

Btw, El B. is just live on Austrian TV in interview and he says that, yeah for the Iraq the IAEA was right, and the U.S. was wrong, but this doesn´t mean the US can´t be right another time, and he doesn´t see it like a kick towards the U.S. ass, but rather acknowledges that the prize was given for the independent work they do.

Peace ...do they know what it really means? Mankind can self-destruct themselves in an instant.....we all know that...who can build the bigger mousetrap state of mind.

Peace.....where does the hungry child, homeless and afraid... fit in this word?

Bono.....you are the winner in my :heart:

carol
wizard2c
:|

To understand wisdom is to understand respect.

nbcrusader said:

All the Nobel prizes are awarded for the individual and/or groups body of work, not work done in the current year.

I'm surprised at how nasty this thread is. Many good people were nominated. Some won the prize, some eg Bono and Bob Geldof did not.

This world needs more leaders. People who actually grab an idea and run with it. Congratulations to everyone who won, or whos work was deemed worthy of nomination.

beli said:

All the Nobel prizes are awarded for the individual and/or groups body of work, not work done in the current year.

I'm surprised at how nasty this thread is. Many good people were nominated. Some won the prize, some eg Bono and Bob Geldof did not.

This world needs more leaders. People who actually grab an idea and run with it. Congratulations to everyone who won, or whos work was deemed worthy of nomination.

Perhaps you've mis-interpreted some of the comments. Given the slate of candidates, it is fair to question why one gets the award and others do not. And the awards are not always "life time achievement" awards. Others have won for specific work done in the year they received the award.

The Nobel Peace Prize for 2005

The Norwegian Nobel Committee has decided that the Nobel Peace Prize for 2005 is to be shared, in two equal parts, between the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and its Director General, Mohamed ElBaradei, for their efforts to prevent nuclear energy from being used for military purposes and to ensure that nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is used in the safest possible way.

At a time when the threat of nuclear arms is again increasing, the Norwegian Nobel Committee wishes to underline that this threat must be met through the broadest possible international cooperation. This principle finds its clearest expression today in the work of the IAEA and its Director General. In the nuclear non-proliferation regime, it is the IAEA which controls that nuclear energy is not misused for military purposes, and the Director General has stood out as an unafraid advocate of new measures to strengthen that regime. At a time when disarmament efforts appear deadlocked, when there is a danger that nuclear arms will spread both to states and to terrorist groups, and when nuclear power again appears to be playing an increasingly significant role, IAEA's work is of incalculable importance.

In his will, Alfred Nobel wrote that the Peace Prize should, among other criteria, be awarded to whoever had done most for the "abolition or reduction of standing armies". In its application of this criterion in recent decades, the Norwegian Nobel Committee has concentrated on the struggle to diminish the significance of nuclear arms in international politics, with a view to their abolition. That the world has achieved little in this respect makes active opposition to nuclear arms all the more important today.

Oslo, 7 October 2005

Congratulations to the winners.

Last edited:
Most of the nominees deserve the prize. But you can't give the prize to everyone. So the committee has to decide on whom they believe deserves it most.

Every year the committee makes a decision and there are many people who criticise this decision.
But I think to be nominated is a very great honour, and the people who are nominated are thankful for that, but also have great respect for the ones who get the prize.
Of course there are people or organizations who should have get the prize as well, but in my view the committee has a very good explanation why they gave the prize to the IAEA. Nothing is more dangerous than atomic weapons or power plants which are time bombs.
So the peace price to the IAEA and ElBaradei also puts a spotlight on this topic and it needs it.

I would say it's really hard for the committee to decide who should get the prize, but they have to come to a conclusion and the should get some respect that the dared to do that, not get criticised.

there's a campaign going for Oprah

http://www.boston.com/ae/celebrity/...obel_for_oprah_its_fun_but_silly_talk?mode=PF

"If nothing else, the Nobel Peace Prize could use an injection of Winfrey's glamour. When's the last time anyone paid attention to the award? Can anyone even name this year's recipient? (For the record, it was the International Atomic Energy Agency and Mohamed ElBaradei, cited for ''their efforts to prevent nuclear energy from being used for military purposes and to ensure that nuclear energy for peaceful purposes is used in the safest possible way." Worthwhile, yes, but boooooring!)

Unlike the Academy Awards or Grammys, you never hear people buzzing about the Nobel Prize ceremonies in Oslo, Norway. The top fashion designers certainly aren't lining up to dress the winners in egregiously overpriced creations. Not since Jimmy Carter won in 2002 has there been a name even remotely familiar to most of us.

But if they give Winfrey the prize, she might bring along several limos worth of such famous friends as Tina Turner and John Travolta -- but hopefully not Cruise, because no one needs that strange little man leaving footprints on the furniture.

There would be obnoxious red-carpet interviews conducted by Star Jones Reynolds, starlets sporting peace sign earrings and pendants designed by the House of Harry Winston, and a splashy televised ceremony, complete with really bad musical numbers. Even Bono, U2's lead singer who has himself been nominated, couldn't garner more attention or better ratings. Anyone can work for peace, but you can't beat Winfrey's luminous star power."

Back
Top Bottom