Nobel Peace Prize - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 AM   #16
The Fly

Local Time: 07:09 PM
Trendiness is not the custom or forte of the prize committee so I doubt they would confer the prize on 2 individuals who have (in 2005) succeeded only in organizing a massive rock concert (their other list of demands to government being tied up in so much red tape and conditionalities that who knows if Bono will ever get to "cash the checks" as he always states his job is to do) and also don't actually come from the community they are supposedly representing.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM   #17
Refugee

Congrads Beli....for the guys at work anyway

As to the Peace prize being "sexier", I guess you answer your own question....giving awards to people who sign peace treaties, stop or prevent conflicts, and bring people together in politcal conflcits is in itself much "sexier" an issue than medicine or science (or, these days, even literature.) To put it in a nutshell: war is sexier than medicine. And as such...many of the participants are often likely to be world leaders who sign treaties, or found charitible organizations (eg Mother Theresa, Doctors Without Borders) ..have already made headlines and/or are houseold names, whether they are celebrities or not. (Remember that Arafat shared a Noble with Peres. Quite possibly the most dubious Nobel ever given out....but showing that this is one award that is NOT "fixed", and CANNOT be bought. The Nobel Peace Prize committe may be the last truly independent organization on earth.

As to Bono getting it....maybe, in 20 yrs, when he is old, after a virtual lifetime of "working" for peace....but as he has often said, he has actually done little of the work. It;s the soldeirs in the streets who should get it, he says. I disagree....he should get recognition too....BUT....

And as I've said before, Vaclev Havel deserves the Prize much more right now. But nobody has ever honered the leader of the Velvet Revolution..even though all the other "revolutionaries" from that era seem to have been honored....

PS, I want to make a note for all of you who read my Zoo Confessionals post the other day. I have the situation worked out..for 3 more weeks anyway. I went to my landlady and told her the situation..she conferred with her boss, and they gave me the lease extension, and told me I could pay my rent on the 22nd. By which time, or course, I will have gotten another check. Of course, my bills will be thrown into disarray, but I can find some way to get hold of the money for my bills in three weeks. At least my lease is renewed...and thus they can't legally throw me out, I have a copy for myself. I guess they were both in a good mood....

Now, I am going to go tonight to Boston (I'm leaving now, from Albany) and to NYC on Friday, and I am going to enjoy my 2nd and 3rd time ever in the GA like I've never enjoyed 2 other u2 shows. I guess God DID want me to go after all....lucky I did not know how the black market works...

Dread, if you are reading this, it looks like I am going to go directly in. I won'teven get there until after 6. And yes, I DO want to see Keane West....I'll be in the back of the floor as it is, and as a short person can't see very well..but I don't care, I'll be able to have a much better spot on Friday.

Old 10-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Teta040

And as I've said before, Vaclev Havel deserves the Prize much more right now. But nobody has ever honered the leader of the Velvet Revolution..even though all the other "revolutionaries" from that era seem to have been honored....

agreed.

good luck with your housing situation, and have a great time at the concert.
Old 10-04-2005, 02:47 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Dread, if you are reading this, it looks like I am going to go directly in. I won'teven get there until after 6. And yes, I DO want to see Keane West....I'll be in the back of the floor as it is, and as a short person can't see very well..but I don't care, I'll be able to have a much better spot on Friday.
I am anticipating a 6PM arrival.....My cell will be on....I will be in the front row of section 11. You may catch me with Boston Anne.

Peace
Old 10-04-2005, 03:31 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:09 PM
I sincerely hope not. People need to remember that Bono and Geldof are just 'front men' for DATA, etc. They didn't come up with any of the ideas themselves. They may do worthwhile PR work, but what about people who do a lot more on the ground work but don't look for pats on the back from the media in the way that Bono and Geldof do?
Old 10-04-2005, 03:32 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I sincerely hope not. People need to remember that Bono and Geldof are just 'front men' for DATA, etc. They didn't come up with any of the ideas themselves. They may do worthwhile PR work, but what about people who do a lot more on the ground work but don't look for pats on the back from the media in the way that Bono and Geldof do?

i think Bono and Geldorf would agree with you.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:35 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
I agree, I have a great deal of respect for Vaclav Havel, he went to jail God knows how many times before the dictators got kicked out of the Castle in Prague to get rid of them. He should take home a Nobel. He's nominated, they need to give it to him.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:44 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

If Bono gets the prize I'm going to kick myself in the face.

I don't know how I'll do it, but I'll find a way.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:47 PM   #24
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Why
Old 10-04-2005, 07:13 PM   #25
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by shart1780

Yeah, why? I'd prefer Havel, to be honest, but I'm not going to kick myself if they decide to give it to Bono.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:55 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:09 AM
Really it is a POS prize to begin with ~ standing up other luminaries of world peace such as Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger. The most politically motivated of them all and the one that has lost the most glamour.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:07 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:09 PM
"Won't this year... will eventually."

"Won't--but should."

Thank you, BostonAnne and verte - I agree.

(although I wish Bono and Geldof would win this year)
Old 10-04-2005, 08:13 PM   #28
Refugee

"Yes...he will receive the PRIZE and a years supply of Laundry detergent and dog Biscuits...all supplied by our favorite sponsor!!
Thank you for playing the game Mister Bono.
We shall be back for more exciting prizes give-a-ways , but now a word from our sponsors!

TV screen goes into a commercial.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

i think Bono and Geldorf would agree with you.
I do too. I suspect the guy would be very relieved NOT to. Either that or I've completely misjudged his character.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:31 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by A_Wanderer
Really it is a POS prize to begin with ~ standing up other luminaries of world peace such as Yasser Arafat and Henry Kissinger. The most politically motivated of them all and the one that has lost the most glamour.
Yeah, some real creeps have gotten it, but it's OK to hope it "returns to form" and goes to a real peace-maker.