No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America! - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-04-2004, 12:30 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:40 AM
No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

By MAGGIE HABERMAN in New York

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Thursday, March 4th, 2004

The Bush reelection campaign yesterday unveiled its first three campaign commercials showcasing Ground Zero images, angering some 9/11 families who accused President Bush of exploiting the tragedy for political advantage.

"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people," said Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the twin tower attacks. "It is unconscionable."

Gabrielle and several other family members said the injury was compounded by Bush's refusal to testify in open session before the 9/11 commission.

"I would be less offended if he showed a picture of himself in front of the Statue of Liberty," said Tom Roger, whose daughter was a flight attendant on doomed American Airlines Flight 11. "But to show the horror of 9/11 in the background, that's just some advertising agency's attempt to grab people by the throat."

Mindy Kleinberg said she was offended because the White House has not cooperated fully with the commission and because of the sight of remains being lifted out of Ground Zero in one of the spots.

"How heinous is that?" Kleinberg asked. "That's somebody's [loved one]."

Firefighter Tommy Fee in Rescue Squad 270 in Queens was appalled.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place. The image of firefighters at Ground Zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics," Fee said.

But Jennie Farrell, who lost her brother, electrician James Cartier, called the ad "tastefully done," adding: "It speaks to the truth of the times. Sept. 11 ... was something beyond the realm of imagination, and George Bush ... led us through one of the darkest moments in history."

The gauzy, upbeat spots, aimed at shoring up Bush's sagging approval numbers, begin airing today on national cable networks and 50 media markets in 17 states that Bush-Cheney strategists consider electoral battlegrounds.

Two ads, including a Spanish version, show fleeting images of the World Trade Center devastation. The 30-second spots include a poignant image of an American flag fluttering defiantly amid the WTC wreckage.

One, titled "Safer, Stronger," also features a one-second shot of firefighters removing the flag-draped remains of a victim from the twisted debris.

Both ads reinforce the Ground Zero imagery with frontal shots of two firefighters. Unlike the paid actors and actresses in most of the footage, they are not ringers, but their red headgear gives them away as non-New Yorkers. The Bush campaign declined to reveal where the burly smoke-eaters actually work.

Bush officials defended the imagery as totally appropriate.

"9/11 was the defining moment of these times," campaign manager Ken Mehlman told reporters. "Because of that day, America is at war and still is."

Charging Democratic rival John Kerry with politicizing the attacks by alleging Bush has turned his back on the city, Mehlman added: "The President's never forgotten. It's a central part of his leadership."

The spots, pegged to the theme of "steady leadership in time of change," do not mention Kerry. Instead, their uplifting message hopes to refurbish Bush's battered image after two months of harsh Democratic attacks and a series of missteps by the normally surefooted White House political apparatus.

"We've been off our game for weeks," a senior Bush strategist conceded. "Thank goodness, there's plenty of time to get well, and plenty of grist to chop Kerry down to size."

Old 03-04-2004, 12:41 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:40 AM

Old 03-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

I wonder who is exploiting the 9/11 victims' families?

Like it or not, GWB's response to 9/11 was a defining moment in his presidency (at least the first 4 years).
Old 03-04-2004, 12:55 PM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Like it or not, GWB's response to 9/11 was a defining moment in his presidency (at least the first 4 years).
Yes it was a defining moment, not the defining moment. But still a little respect would be nice.
Old 03-04-2004, 01:03 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:40 PM
Perhaps they should have shown a clip of the President's speech on 9/11. I'll be honest and say that it was a pretty damn good speech. This would be a little less controversial. But keeping controversy out of politics is about like having a figure skating competition and banning ice skates.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:08 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 09:40 AM
Really, did anyone think he'd exclude 9/11 from his campaign? Did anyone think he'd run on domestic issues? HA!

This is all Bush has got! Therefore, if he actually wins with this economy I will official state that the union is a bunch of morons.

Old 03-04-2004, 02:18 PM   #7
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Yes it was a defining moment, not the defining moment. But still a little respect would be nice.
bullcrap... any event like that isn't just another defining moment... it is THE defining moment for any president who happens to be in office at the time.

when you have so many victims from all walks of life, there isn't anything you can do that isn't going to offend someone. anyone who's payed any attention to the re-development of the WTC site could've told you that. there are many who would consider not mentioning 9/11 in his campaign to be disrespectful... so it's a no win situation.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:25 PM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Face it, this is a manufactured headline. If you ask all family members of 9/11 victims what they thought of the ad, some would be upset and others would say (the part not bolded by deep):

Quote:
But Jennie Farrell, who lost her brother, electrician James Cartier, called the ad "tastefully done," adding: "It speaks to the truth of the times. Sept. 11 ... was something beyond the realm of imagination, and George Bush ... led us through one of the darkest moments in history."
The media makes its money with shocking headlines - some will take the bait.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:32 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:40 PM
He is not making this add to showcase a "defining moment" in his presidency. He's making it to say "if you don't re-elect me this will happen again." It's pathetic.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #10
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees
He is not making this add to showcase a "defining moment" in his presidency. He's making it to say "if you don't re-elect me this will happen again." It's pathetic.
I agree. If he wanted to showcase a "defining moment" he should have used clips of his speech from the rubble of the WTC, or something like that. Showing the destruction only plays on the fears of the viewer.

I haven't seen the ad, though, so I'm only basing my opinions on the description of it in the article.
Old 03-04-2004, 02:44 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 03:40 PM
Re: No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

By MAGGIE HABERMAN in New York

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Thursday, March 4th, 2004

"

Firefighter Tommy Fee in Rescue Squad 270 in Queens was appalled.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place. The image of firefighters at Ground Zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics," Fee said.

NEW BUSH ADS USE OF FIRE FIGHTER IMAGES SMACK OF POLITICAL OPPORTUNISM

As Bush Trades on Heroism of Fire Fighters, His Homeland Security Funding Cuts Hurt Fire Fighters and Communities

WASHINGTON, DC – The General President of the International Association of Fire Fighters, AFL-CIO (IAFF), Harold Schaitberger, issued the following statement today after President Bush unveiled new political ads that use images of fire fighters in September 11, 2001 attacks for political gain.

“I’m disappointed but not surprised that the President would try to trade on the heroism of those fire fighters in the September 11 attacks. The use of 9/11 images are hypocrisy at its worst. Here’s a President that initially opposed the creation of the Department of Homeland Security and now uses its first anniversary as cause to promote his re-election. Here is a President that proposed two budgets with no funding for FIRE Act grants and still plays on the image of America’s bravest. His advertisements are disgraceful.

http://daily.iaff.org/030404press.htm
Old 03-04-2004, 02:46 PM   #12
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

bullcrap... any event like that isn't just another defining moment... it is THE defining moment for any president who happens to be in office at the time.

Sorry when I think of Bush this is not THE defining moment for me and I'm not the only one. Even if it was, to exploit it is discusting. My cousin was murdered last year and if the detective used this solved case to further his career I'd be discusted. Murder is murder be it one life or 3,000, to use it to further your career is sick.
Old 03-04-2004, 04:00 PM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

9/11 is the defining moment for a generation... how can it not be the defining moment for the president at the time? i guess we'll have to agree to disagree on that one...

and nbc...
Old 03-04-2004, 04:24 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Re: Re: No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

Quote:
Originally posted by Rono
The General President of the International Association of Fire Fighters, AFL-CIO (IAFF), Harold Schaitberger, issued the following statement today after President Bush unveiled new political ads that use images of fire fighters in September 11, 2001 attacks for political gain.

“I’m disappointed but not surprised that the President would try to trade on the heroism of those fire fighters in the September 11 attacks. The use of 9/11 images are hypocrisy at its worst. Here’s a President that initially opposed the creation of the Department of Homeland Security and now uses its first anniversary as cause to promote his re-election. Here is a President that proposed two budgets with no funding for FIRE Act grants and still plays on the image of America’s bravest. His advertisements are disgraceful.
Oh, the irony is rich coming from a union official....
Old 03-04-2004, 04:54 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

My add would begin with the first trade center bombing....
the USS Cole Bombing and show clips of all of the other bombings over the 8 years of Clinton....

Go to the Presidents Speech at Ground Zero....

And then ask the question "Should we return to 8 Years of inaction?"