No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deep

Blue Crack Addict
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

By MAGGIE HABERMAN in New York

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Thursday, March 4th, 2004

The Bush reelection campaign yesterday unveiled its first three campaign commercials showcasing Ground Zero images, angering some 9/11 families who accused President Bush of exploiting the tragedy for political advantage.

"It's a slap in the face of the murders of 3,000 people," said Monica Gabrielle, whose husband died in the twin tower attacks. "It is unconscionable."

Gabrielle and several other family members said the injury was compounded by Bush's refusal to testify in open session before the 9/11 commission.

"I would be less offended if he showed a picture of himself in front of the Statue of Liberty," said Tom Roger, whose daughter was a flight attendant on doomed American Airlines Flight 11. "But to show the horror of 9/11 in the background, that's just some advertising agency's attempt to grab people by the throat."

Mindy Kleinberg said she was offended because the White House has not cooperated fully with the commission and because of the sight of remains being lifted out of Ground Zero in one of the spots.

"How heinous is that?" Kleinberg asked. "That's somebody's [loved one]."

Firefighter Tommy Fee in Rescue Squad 270 in Queens was appalled.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place. The image of firefighters at Ground Zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics," Fee said.

But Jennie Farrell, who lost her brother, electrician James Cartier, called the ad "tastefully done," adding: "It speaks to the truth of the times. Sept. 11 ... was something beyond the realm of imagination, and George Bush ... led us through one of the darkest moments in history."

The gauzy, upbeat spots, aimed at shoring up Bush's sagging approval numbers, begin airing today on national cable networks and 50 media markets in 17 states that Bush-Cheney strategists consider electoral battlegrounds.

Two ads, including a Spanish version, show fleeting images of the World Trade Center devastation. The 30-second spots include a poignant image of an American flag fluttering defiantly amid the WTC wreckage.

One, titled "Safer, Stronger," also features a one-second shot of firefighters removing the flag-draped remains of a victim from the twisted debris.

Both ads reinforce the Ground Zero imagery with frontal shots of two firefighters. Unlike the paid actors and actresses in most of the footage, they are not ringers, but their red headgear gives them away as non-New Yorkers. The Bush campaign declined to reveal where the burly smoke-eaters actually work.

Bush officials defended the imagery as totally appropriate.

"9/11 was the defining moment of these times," campaign manager Ken Mehlman told reporters. "Because of that day, America is at war and still is."

Charging Democratic rival John Kerry with politicizing the attacks by alleging Bush has turned his back on the city, Mehlman added: "The President's never forgotten. It's a central part of his leadership."

The spots, pegged to the theme of "steady leadership in time of change," do not mention Kerry. Instead, their uplifting message hopes to refurbish Bush's battered image after two months of harsh Democratic attacks and a series of missteps by the normally surefooted White House political apparatus.

"We've been off our game for weeks," a senior Bush strategist conceded. "Thank goodness, there's plenty of time to get well, and plenty of grist to chop Kerry down to size."

:|

I wonder who is exploiting the 9/11 victims' families?

Like it or not, GWB's response to 9/11 was a defining moment in his presidency (at least the first 4 years).

nbcrusader said:

Like it or not, GWB's response to 9/11 was a defining moment in his presidency (at least the first 4 years).

Yes it was a defining moment, not the defining moment. But still a little respect would be nice.

Perhaps they should have shown a clip of the President's speech on 9/11. I'll be honest and say that it was a pretty damn good speech. This would be a little less controversial. But keeping controversy out of politics is about like having a figure skating competition and banning ice skates.

Really, did anyone think he'd exclude 9/11 from his campaign? Did anyone think he'd run on domestic issues? HA!

This is all Bush has got! Therefore, if he actually wins with this economy I will official state that the union is a bunch of morons.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes it was a defining moment, not the defining moment. But still a little respect would be nice.

bullcrap... any event like that isn't just another defining moment... it is THE defining moment for any president who happens to be in office at the time.

when you have so many victims from all walks of life, there isn't anything you can do that isn't going to offend someone. anyone who's payed any attention to the re-development of the WTC site could've told you that. there are many who would consider not mentioning 9/11 in his campaign to be disrespectful... so it's a no win situation.

Face it, this is a manufactured headline. If you ask all family members of 9/11 victims what they thought of the ad, some would be upset and others would say (the part not bolded by deep):

But Jennie Farrell, who lost her brother, electrician James Cartier, called the ad "tastefully done," adding: "It speaks to the truth of the times. Sept. 11 ... was something beyond the realm of imagination, and George Bush ... led us through one of the darkest moments in history."

The media makes its money with shocking headlines - some will take the bait.

He is not making this add to showcase a "defining moment" in his presidency. He's making it to say "if you don't re-elect me this will happen again." It's pathetic.

FizzingWhizzbees said:
He is not making this add to showcase a "defining moment" in his presidency. He's making it to say "if you don't re-elect me this will happen again." It's pathetic.

I agree. If he wanted to showcase a "defining moment" he should have used clips of his speech from the rubble of the WTC, or something like that. Showing the destruction only plays on the fears of the viewer.

I haven't seen the ad, though, so I'm only basing my opinions on the description of it in the article.

deep said:
New York Daily News - http://www.nydailynews.com

Furor over Bush's 9/11 ad

By MAGGIE HABERMAN in New York

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITERS
Thursday, March 4th, 2004

"

Firefighter Tommy Fee in Rescue Squad 270 in Queens was appalled.

"It's as sick as people who stole things out of the place. The image of firefighters at Ground Zero should not be used for this stuff, for politics," Fee said.

NEW BUSH ADS USE OF FIRE FIGHTER IMAGES SMACK OF POLITICAL OPPORTUNISM

As Bush Trades on Heroism of Fire Fighters, His Homeland Security Funding Cuts Hurt Fire Fighters and Communities

WASHINGTON, DC ? The General President of the International Association of Fire Fighters, AFL-CIO (IAFF), Harold Schaitberger, issued the following statement today after President Bush unveiled new political ads that use images of fire fighters in September 11, 2001 attacks for political gain.

?I?m disappointed but not surprised that the President would try to trade on the heroism of those fire fighters in the September 11 attacks. The use of 9/11 images are hypocrisy at its worst. Here?s a President that initially opposed the creation of the Department of Homeland Security and now uses its first anniversary as cause to promote his re-election. Here is a President that proposed two budgets with no funding for FIRE Act grants and still plays on the image of America?s bravest. His advertisements are disgraceful.

http://daily.iaff.org/030404press.htm

Headache in a Suitcase said:

bullcrap... any event like that isn't just another defining moment... it is THE defining moment for any president who happens to be in office at the time.

Sorry when I think of Bush this is not THE defining moment for me and I'm not the only one. Even if it was, to exploit it is discusting. My cousin was murdered last year and if the detective used this solved case to further his career I'd be discusted. Murder is murder be it one life or 3,000, to use it to further your career is sick.

Re: Re: No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

Rono said:
The General President of the International Association of Fire Fighters, AFL-CIO (IAFF), Harold Schaitberger, issued the following statement today after President Bush unveiled new political ads that use images of fire fighters in September 11, 2001 attacks for political gain.

?I?m disappointed but not surprised that the President would try to trade on the heroism of those fire fighters in the September 11 attacks. The use of 9/11 images are hypocrisy at its worst. Here?s a President that initially opposed the creation of the Department of Homeland Security and now uses its first anniversary as cause to promote his re-election. Here is a President that proposed two budgets with no funding for FIRE Act grants and still plays on the image of America?s bravest. His advertisements are disgraceful.

Oh, the irony is rich coming from a union official....

My add would begin with the first trade center bombing....
the USS Cole Bombing and show clips of all of the other bombings over the 8 years of Clinton....

Go to the Presidents Speech at Ground Zero....

And then ask the question "Should we return to 8 Years of inaction?"

All I have to say is that if Clinton was still president and pulled this stunt, the GOP would be crying "sacrilege" and probably try and start another quack impeachment proceeding.

This is politics--100% simple. Certainly, this is Bush's "defining moment," because he has no other. He's a failure as a president, and without endless war and tragedy, he's exposed for what he really is: a divisive religious fanatic.

Melon

Dreadsox said:
My add would begin with the first trade center bombing....
the USS Cole Bombing and show clips of all of the other bombings over the 8 years of Clinton....

Go to the Presidents Speech at Ground Zero....

And then ask the question "Should we return to 8 Years of inaction?"

Or how about showing pictures of Saddam gassing the Kurds and pummelling the Shi'ites after Gulf War I--the war Bush I never finished?

Or how about Afghanistan, where Reagan funded very questionable groups, united under the sole banner of "anti-communist"?

These actions are partly what led up to the formation of Al-Qaeda and their subsequent attacks. Where was Bush II prior to 9/11? Giving close to $40 million to the Taliban to "reward" them for the "War on Drugs" in April 2001--five months prior to the 9/11 attacks. Clearly, if you are going to blame Clinton for inaction, the same blame *must* be given to our current president, who clearly ignored the threat just as much, if not more. After all, even if Clinton's military attacks are now to be justified as inadequate, at least he didn't give $40 million to the fanatics that housed bin Laden in their country! We were a nation blinded by money for a decade, and every politician in office at the time--Republican and Democrat--are equally guilty. It makes all that wasted time, money, and effort on investigating Whitewater and Monica Lewinsky look all the more ridiculous and certainly helped undermine the president's ability to govern during that time.

Oh and BTW, John Kerry is not Bill Clinton.

Melon

Last edited:
But who needs facts when you have a finger to point and you are dealing with politics?

Formula to win presidency = blame other side + tug on heartstrings(or cater to pseudo morals) + play to their wallets

melon said:
Oh and BTW, John Kerry is not Bill Clinton.

Melon

Really, but he would love to be the "Second Black President"....And he voted against the 1st Iraq War, and he has supported cuts after cuts in equiptment that has saved lives in our military. A case can be made that we would be returning to a time when we did not react to the events that were happening around us.

Dreadsox said:
Really, but he would love to be the "Second Black President"....And he voted against the 1st Iraq War, and he has supported cuts after cuts in equiptment that has saved lives in our military. A case can be made that we would be returning to a time when we did not react to the events that were happening around us.

And guess which president is looking for more military base closings? None other than our current one, and Bush used the Clinton-era military very effectively for his term here; change, after all, isn't overnight.

Let's face it: technological changes require less people and less facilities. The private sector has been forced to deal with this, so isn't it a natural extension to expect the military sector would downsize too?

Melon

Do you suppose Bush will use his "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" photo-op in an ad? I'll bet he loved the way that flight suit enhanced his 'maleness'. What macho posturing! I hope that Kerry finds a way to use it to his advantage.

najeena said:
Do you suppose Bush will use his "MISSION ACCOMPLISHED" photo-op in an ad? I'll bet he loved the way that flight suit enhanced his 'maleness'. What macho posturing! I hope that Kerry finds a way to use it to his advantage.

Actually I would hope that Kerry just stick to the issues, but who am I kidding this is American politics.:|

It's very simple people: in these troubled times, it would be unpatriotic to not vote Bush in for another term. After all, he has to finished starving the beast.

Oops, wasn't Alan supposed to mention that part? Oh well, too late now...

NEW YORK (CNN) -- Former New York Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, who won worldwide acclaim for his handling of the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks that devastated his city, said Thursday that using images from that day in campaign ads for President Bush is both "appropriate" and "relevant."

"The reality is that President Bush played a very, very big role in bringing our country through the worst attack in our history," he said. "So it's an appropriate thing for him to point out as part of his record, just like Democrats are going to attack parts of his record and say, 'We think it should have been done differently.' "

http://www.cnn.com/2004/ALLPOLITICS/03/04/elec04.prez.giuliani.bush/index.html

What's next from the left... are they gonna say Giuliani is "insensitive" to the victims of 9/11 because he supports Bush's right to use those particular images? I'd love to see that one...

Headache in a Suitcase said:

What's next from the left... are they gonna say Giuliani is "insensitive" to the victims of 9/11 because he supports Bush's right to use those particular images? I'd love to see that one...

You're right now because Giuliani gave his blessing it's set in stone...Bush was right.

Come on, what was he going to say?

Re: Re: Re: No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

:sad:

Re: Re: Re: No Shame, No Blame, What is Good for Haliburton is Good for America!

nbcrusader said:

Oh, the irony is rich coming from a union official....

Why all the distain for Union leaders?

Are they the "new pedofiles"? (i. e. somebody all descent people should hate)

Back
Top Bottom