No Shaking of the Booty!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
Lawmaker Seeks to End Sexy Cheerleading

AUSTIN, Texas (AP) - The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

This may lead to people wearing their pants too low. Texas does not want to become another Virginia! :angry:

it does surprise me how much Texas and Saudi Arabia have in common ... vast open spaces, intense heat, oil, attitudes towards dancin' that we haven't seen expressed in a public forum since "Footloose."

Last edited:
Irvine511 said:
it does surprise me how much Texas and Saudi Arabia have in common ... vast open spaces, intense heat, oil, attitudes towards dancin' that we haven't seen expressed in a public forum since "Footloose."

Careful, Irvine, before someone accuses you of spewing Michael Moore rhetoric on Texas-Saudi Royal Family links!

As if George W. shouldn't come to the defence of these fine entertainers being attacked. Given his cheerleading background, he can surely empathize with the uncontrollable urge to sexually gyrate to help get a crowd into a throbbing frenzy.

Judah said:
As if George W. shouldn't come to the defence of these fine entertainers being attacked. Given his cheerleading background,
:shame:

That was before he found Jay-sus.

He's not gonna talk about his shameful youth.

He said he won't kick gays
because he was a sinner, too.

:sigh:...

I really think some adults forget what it was like to be a teen. Do those people mean to tell me that when they were teens, there weren't girls doing somewhat suggestive moves on the field?

Also, I wasn't aware sexy dancing automatically led to having sex with just anyone, or outside of marriage (which I personally actually don't see as bad, nor anyone else's business). I'd like to see where the connection is with that.

Angela

Sexy dancing is fine with me...

Oh love
Oh love, lover
Move you
Spirit move
Baby love me
Move
Baby love me
Move you
Baby love me
Move with it
She moves with it

Lift my days, light up my nights

As long as U2 is playing. :wink:

I like looking at cheerleaders as much as any guy would, but here area few of my thoughts:

--This is a waste of time. It always suprises me how lawmakers seem to have so much time on their hands. This is my number 1 issue with this. If things are that bad in some districts, it should be the Texas State High School Leagues (or whatever it's called there) job to set up appropriate guidelines for cheering.

--That said, I do see the issue here. Cheerleaders are supposed to get the crowd going, not coming if you catch my drift. :wink: Public school isn't the place to learn how to become a stripper. As I remind my students all the time; "there is a time and a place for everything." Some things are appropriate for school functions and some things aren't, simple as that.

--It's pretty unfair to post only the first 2 paragraphs of that article-- there are some pretty good points made later one:

"J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

Let's all keep in mine that what's sexy or even too sexy is subjective. Slow dancing with a foot between each other is too much for some people. Cheerleading in general is too sexy for some people...

How do you legislate such a subjective idea? And why waste your time? If you think it's too much then don't do the routine, talk to the coach, talk to your daughter etc.

We don't need a f**king law about it.

I have to wonder about these sex obsessed lawmakers sometimes.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

closted, self-loathing, Republican homosexuals.

you know, like the people in the WH press room.

;)

Judah said:
I agree. Put all those tempting gals in burkas! While they're at it, take all women's drivers' licenses away. We'll get to recalling their voting rights later...

The mullahs...err..."ministers" then need to beat these girls until they break to "teach them a lesson."

Melon

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Let's all keep in mine that what's sexy or even too sexy is subjective. Slow dancing with a foot between each other is too much for some people. Cheerleading in general is too sexy for some people...

How do you legislate such a subjective idea? And why waste your time? If you think it's too much then don't do the routine, talk to the coach, talk to your daughter etc.

We don't need a f**king law about it.

:up:. Thank you.

Angela

Judah said:

Don't forget the Koran says "beat them lightly."

"Lightly" being a fairly subjective term, methinx.

yes, yes. firm but fair. no need to inflict lasting damage, but girls must be made aware of the temptation their bare legs create for the men.

remembering this

The Positively True Adventures of the Alleged Texas Cheerleader-Murdering Mom

along with this current situation

Leads me to consider that:

cheerleading should just be banned in the LoneStar State.

Do Miss America said:

Murder??? How is murder a legislative obsession?
It has nothing to do with this thread, but let's think a second here... war, capital punishment, doctor assisted suicide, abortion, euthanasia... these kinds of life or death issues are talked about every day.

I suppose this Texas legislator will blacklist the makers of such films as BRING IT ON, and perhaps ban them from showing at the local cinema.

~U2Alabama

Strikes me that most of the time, those who holler the most about this stuff are A> getitng too much of it themselves (guilty of the crimes they prpose to erase...have a thing for teenage girls there, buddy? Bono should keep Eve and Jordan locked up in the hotel when U2 come to Houston and Dallas..they're going to be on the tour, you know..this was ajoke, a joke...!!!) Or B) they aren't getting enough of it themselves.

The Nazis were norotiously gay and/or sexually repressed, you know.

)

deep said:
Leads me to consider that:

cheerleading should just be banned in the LoneStar State.

Or perhaps we should just ban the LoneStar State in general. That and chicken fried anything.

Teta040 said:
The Nazis were norotiously gay and/or sexually repressed, you know.
I love how this sounds...like something your grandma would say to you over breakfast with the evil eye.

"Hitler was Jewish too, did ya know that? I bet you didn't!"

Last edited:
Ft. Worth Frog said:
Nobody mentioned this guy is a Democrat, not a Republican.

Yeah, well, most "Southern Democrats" might as well be Republicans, if you look at most of their stances.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom