No Pussycat Doll Dolls - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2006, 08:51 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:46 AM
No Pussycat Doll Dolls

Call me old fashioned but I don't think dolls based on that group are the best type of doll for girls to be playing with. It is for a more mature audience. I think perhaps dolls and the way girls view them can have a greater impact on kids than we might realize. Of course the body image of Barbie isn't exactly realistic, well it wasn't way back in the day when I played with them. Maybe now it has changed. And Barbie now has all kinds of career options and the like and has split with Ken-but I think they got back together

PAWTUCKET, R.I. — Hasbro Inc. shelved plans Wednesday to release a line of dolls based on the Pussycat Dolls, an all-female music group known for risque lyrics and skimpy outfits.

Hasbro, the nation's second biggest toy maker, said it decided the dolls were "inappropriate" for the company to market and that the pop group catered to a more mature audience.

The move comes amid criticism from a national advocacy group, Dads & Daughters, that had campaigned against the doll line.

The company had reached a deal with Interscope Records, the group's label, to release dolls modeled after the popular sextet -- whose songs include the hit single, "Don't Cha." But it released a statement Wednesday saying it had abandoned plans for the doll line.

"Interscope's current creative direction and images for the recording group are focused on a much older target than we had anticipated at the time of our original discussions, thereby making a doll line inappropriate for Hasbro," the company said.

A Hasbro spokeswoman, Gail Carvelli, declined to comment beyond the statement.

Joe Kelly, president of Dads & Daughters, which organized a letter-writing campaign to get Hasbro to cancel the doll line, said he was pleased with the company's decision.

We asked Hasbro executives to imagine encouraging their own six-year-old daughters and granddaughters to engage in developmentally unhealthy behavior," Kelly said in a statement.

"It appears that they did that, and then made the right decision for their families, our families, and the company."

Here is the web site for the Dads And Daughters group, it's nice to see fathers specifically concerned with issues like that regarding their daughters. The father/daughter relationship can be important in how daughters view themselves.

http://www.dadsanddaughters.org/

Old 05-26-2006, 11:00 AM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 AM
sounds like a good organization.

I'm glad Hasbro realized that marketing sexualization to kindergarden age girls is not worth the profit.

Old 05-26-2006, 01:09 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:46 PM
I'm glad they decided not to try to sell sexiness to kindergarteners. It's not right.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:45 PM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 AM
I don't know why Hasbro considered it in the first place... I mean, didn't they have the sense to see the potential backlash in marketing burlesque-ly dolls for little girls, or even imagine it on the shelves of stores like Toys 'R Us, Walmart, or whatnot?

I have no qualms towards dolls, but sometimes you have to think about what you're going to create, if you market these types of dolls for little children.
Old 05-26-2006, 04:00 PM   #5
Refugee

Local Time: 01:46 PM

Hasbro tries to market sensibly...I've often visited their web page and found the criteria quite researched.

Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:46 AM

what toys are right for 5 year olds?
Old 05-26-2006, 04:32 PM   #7
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by deep

what toys are right for 5 year olds?

the ones that get them excited about colonialist adventures in far away deserts, NOT ones that will make them break their high school virginity pledges.

sheesh.
Old 05-26-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 09:46 AM
I guess there are really no way to determine what's right and what's not right for little children to play with.

I suppose the judgement of the person who's going to purchase said toys would be best in determining it.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:48 PM   #9
ONE
love, blood, life

Thank you someone! At least someone had common sense to make a correct decision.