No More Trent Lott!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Dreadsox said:

As for Mr. Lott.....He did not say, if you had won we would be better off because segregation would have made the country better. He made his comments and they have been interpreted to mean certain things. He made his comments at a party for a 100 year old man. A man, who despite his wretched beliefs, has served his nation, his state, and the people for a long long time. He made his comments, based on what I saw on TV to make the 100 year old man feel good not to say he believes the country would be better off because of segregation. There are a 1,000 other issues that he could have been referring to with his comments.

Pre.

Cise.

Ly.

Sheesh. :|

U2Bama said:

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone." ...but it is generally a good rule to live by.

the whole Southern "states' rights" and "Dixieicratic" movements that I as a Southerner am so terribly ashamed of.

~U2Alabama

Second, Bama, I have every faith that you personally have absolutely no reason to be ashamed of anything that was done in the name of The South. I can say that with certainty.

First off, sure, that's a good rule to live by. But it shouldn't be imposed to let people get away with things like this. To be honest, I feel very comfortable casting a stone in this situation.

bottom line-
Trent is a clumsy ox and not adept for the job.:|
The majority of Republicans were looking for him to mis-step and he did, therefore finding a suitable excuse to transfer him.
He does represent the majority of Republicans:larry:
Its not that he is from the South, Frist is from the South.

Its that his timing and judgement are bad.
As a Republican in this day and age that can be to your demise, and lead to your extinction.

Not for Democrats though, we give them a pass, we hold them to a lower standard....;)

thank u-
Diamond
:dance:

Last edited:
Boy...for all these Republicans happy that Trent Lott is gone, there seems to be a lot of defending him going on. :|

Melon

diamond said:
Not for Democrats though, we give them a pass, we hold them to a lower standard....;)

Care to elaborate on this sweeping generalization?

Melon

plez refer to the wink..;)
however the way we chased out Trent..
and the way the dems handled Senator Robert "Sheets" Byrd-D by openingly using the "N" word less than a yr. ago should speak volumes..
Many are clueless here as the Mass Media which leans left chose to keep quiet..
Hypocrasy-sp in its finest form.

thaaaaank- u
Diamond
:dance:

Last edited:
melon said:
Boy...for all these Republicans happy that Trent Lott is gone, there seems to be a lot of defending him going on. :|

Melon

Defending Lott, or objecting to the "word police" tactics used?

I didn't see any "I :heart: Trent Lott" bumperstickers out there.

From Meet the Press last weekend:

MR. RUSSERT: ...a leading candidate. Let me turn to the role of President Bush in this whole saga. Trent Lott made his comments on December 5. One week later, on December 12, we heard from the president, and this is what he said:

(Videotape, December 12, 2002):

PRES. GEORGE W. BUSH: Recent comments by Senator Lott do not reflect the spirit of our country. He has apologized, and rightly so. Every day our nation was segregated was a day that America was unfaithful to our founding ideals.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: Robert George, was that the beginning of the end for Trent Lott?

MR. GEORGE: Oh, yeah, definitely. I mean, the president sent a clear signal that any hint of a sense that segregation was right in any kind of way was not what he wanted in the Republican Party that he?s trying to lead. And I think when you look back, Senator Lott never really recovered from that.

MR. RUSSERT: And one week later after that, David, Trent Lott was still holding on to his position. The secretary of State, Colin Powell, and then next day the president?s brother, Jeb Bush, weighed in. Let?s watch those both:

(Videotape, Wednesday):

SEC?Y COLIN POWELL: I was disappointed in the senator?s statement. I deplored the sentiments behind the statement. There was nothing about the 1948 election or the Dixiecrat agenda that should have been acceptable in any way to any American at that time or any American now.

(End videotape)

(Videotape, Thursday):

GOV. JEB BUSH, (R-FL): At some point this becomes such a, you know, swirling controversy that it?s difficult for Senator Lott to carry out his duties as majority leader.

(End videotape)

MR. RUSSERT: All the while the White House press secretary was saying, ?The president says that Trent Lott doesn?t have to resign.?

MR. BRODER: And should stay, according to what he told U.S. News. This was a coup, and it was brilliantly executed on the part of the White House because, so far, nobody has actually been able to find White House fingerprints on this. But the president ends up with the very person that he most wanted as majority leader, Bill Frist, in the job.

Wow...and I did not see it last weekend. I always read the transcripts when I miss the show. Politics in action! The President brought Lott down. Impressive....Most impressive.

Peace

Last edited:
Dreadsox said:
The President brought Lott down.

Exactly. So all of you condemning the "tactics" that brought down Trent Lott, blame your president.

Melon

melon said:

Exactly. So all of you condemning the "tactics" that brought down Trent Lott, blame your president.

Melon
Nooooooooo.
Lott brought himself down.:|
Pres. Bush , our President and your President "facilitated" his exit.
Melon must you be so stubbornly obtuse?:huh:

thank u
merry Christmas
:angry:

the 'tactics' were a blessing in disguise.
we employed them for the common good of our country whilst "screamers" over -played their hand.

thanks again.:):up:

Diamond

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom