No More Trent Lott! - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-21-2002, 01:46 AM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:05 AM

I did not intend to imply that you liked Senator Lott. And I did intend to add that I really liked the article you posted the other day addressing the offensive remarks of Senator Kerry and "Reverend" Jackson.

It is a common misconception that all of the old segregationist "Dixiecratic" types later became Republicans. This is not the case; Al Gore Sr., Fritz Hollings, the late George Wallace, and last but not least, Democratic Senator (and former KKK member) Robert Byrd of West Virginia, who filibustered the Civil Rights Act of 1964 for 14 hours and still uses the "n-word," all of these men remained Democrats. Where is the uproar about these guys? I will say it again: it all comes down to whether they have an "R" or a "D" next to their name.

Former President Clinton pointed his crooked finger this week at Republicans, calling them hypocrites. He also should have pointed that crooked finger at the Gore family, with Al Gore, Jr., calling Trent Lott a racist while his own father, Al Gore, Sr. opposed Civil Rights legislation! Partisan liberals wish that such information could be censored.

As far as the whole patriot act scare, I remember myself supporting Janet Reno and the Department of Justice throughout all of the Waco and Ruby Ridge incidents. I still support the actions and positions taken in each situation. At that time, I was even in support of the feds having the ability to monitor hate groups, militias, and such. But also at that time, that is about where I drew the line; when would they start monitoring their political opponents? My liberal friends comforted me and said, "you don't have anything to worry about unless you are a racist or militia member, etc." Where should I draw that line today? I guess it is okay to monitor "right wing" groups but not potential terrorists. Oh well.

~U2Alabama

Old 12-21-2002, 01:50 AM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:05 AM

Bama-
Brilliant post.

DB9

Old 12-21-2002, 02:09 AM   #18
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 05:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by diamond
Bama-
Brilliant post.

DB9
I second that.
Old 12-21-2002, 02:51 AM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

I don't know how you missed it.

"Lott apologized many times.

Clinton......Lying under oath when he had taken a OATH to uphold the constitution....Is a far more offensive thing to me. Especially when people men and women in our armed forces have lost careers for lesser offences. People who put their lives on the line for us all are held to a higher standard than the president.

Where was Clinton's apology? "

Quote:
Clinton apology: the full text

Friday December 11, 1998

Statement by the President

As anyone close to me knows, for months I have been grappling with how best to reconcile myself to the American people, to acknowledge my own wrongdoing and still to maintain my focus on the work of the presidency.

Others are presenting my defense on the facts, the law, and the Constitution. Nothing I can say now can add to that. What I want the American people to know, what I want the Congress to know is that I am profoundly sorry for all I have done wrong in words and deeds. I never should have misled the country, the Congress, my friends or my family. Quite simply, I gave into my shame.

I have been condemned by my accusers with harsh words. And while it's hard to hear yourself called deceitful and manipulative, I remember Ben Franklin's admonition that our critics are our friends, for they do show us our faults.

Mere words cannot fully express the profound remorse I feel for what our country is going through, and for what members of both parties in Congress are now forced to deal with.

These past months have been a tortuous process of coming to terms with what I did. I understand that accountability demands consequences, and I'm prepared to accept them. Painful though the condemnation of the Congress would be, it would pale in comparison to the consequences of the pain I have caused my family. There is no greater agony.

Like anyone who honestly faces the shame of wrongful conduct, I would give anything to go back and undo what I did. But one of the painful truths I have to live with is the reality that that is simply not possible. An old and dear friend of mine recently sent me the wisdom of a poet, who wrote, "The moving finger writes, and having writ moves on. Nor all your piety, nor wit shall lure it back to cancel half a line. Nor all your tears wash out a word of it.

So nothing - not piety, nor tears, nor wit, nor torment - can alter what I have done. I must make my peace with that. I must also be at peace with the fact that the public consequences of my actions are in the hands of the American people and their representatives in the Congress. Should they determine that my errors of word and deed require their rebuke and censure, I am ready to accept that.

Meanwhile, I will continue to do all I can to reclaim the trust of the American people and to serve them well. We must all return to the work, the vital work, of strengthening our nation for the new century. Our country has wonderful opportunities and daunting challenges ahead. I intend to seize those opportunities and meet those challenges with all the energy and ability, and strength God has given me.

That is simply all I can do - the work of the American people.

Thank you very much.

Dread,

Type Clinton +apology in google, your computer might crash.

This guy apologized for everything, slavery, tuskagee, korean war masacre, America indians, new coke, Rwanda genocide and monica sex incident.
Old 12-21-2002, 09:34 AM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:05 AM
No! No!!!!!

I am talking about the.....

I am sorry I do not have the integrity to step down from the office of which I hold.

Nixon at least had the character trait to not put the country through the crap.

Lott, apologized immediately 5 times by my count.

Clinton lied....
Lied......
Lied......
Accused others of conspiracy......
Lied......
Lied......
Dragged it on for a year......
Bombed a Pharmacutical Plant in Africa the day the interview tapes were released when he said it depends on what "IS IS"(BTW Bombed it against the advice of his intelligence agencies and others)
ect....
ect....
ect....

Lets see.....Apologized when....Just before the IMPEACHMENT VOTE almost a YEAR LATER?????????Please....Give me a break, they were within days of voting to impeach.

He did not give into his shame!!!!!! LOL He was covering up a pattern that had existed for years. He was trying to prevent someone from proving he used his position to get SEX when he was Governor. He was interfering with a citizens right to a fair trial when he was supposed to be upholding the law.

Really....since we no longer have the "moral authority" to say don't develop WMD because we used them......

Couldn't the same be said about Clinton.....That he no longer had the moral authority to lead this country?

One last thing.....
Al Gore would be President right now if Clinton had resigned. Think about it. He would have had two years under his belt going into the election. The power of a sitting President in that election would have made a difference. But, no, do not act with integrity and honor. It must be a right wing conspiracy.

Please Deep, fine...technically I guess that was an apology, maybe I overstepped saying he did not, but how does what Lott said compare to what this man did??????

Peace

Bama....Excellent post.....U da man!!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 09:59 AM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Bama

Dreadsox

I agree with you both. And I especially appreciate how you guys take the time to respond intelligently in this forum.

Hell, I appreciate everyone's posts
Old 12-21-2002, 11:36 AM   #22
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
It must be a right wing conspiracy.
Vastly.

And dread, nb, #9, and BAW, thank you for your commendations, though I am not worthy.

Happy Festivus.

~U2Alabama
Old 12-21-2002, 03:55 PM   #23
She's the One

It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

Why are you defending him? Seriously. Why? And please try to keep the focus of your comments on Trent. Please don't point to the other boys who jumped off the roof, too, and didn't get yelled at.

Why would you defend a bigoted old bastard who finally got the shit he deserved for the thinking and actions he's pursued for years?

Or you can dismiss me as a liberal, and refuse to answer me. (Which will answer my question in ways you may not have intended.)

(Notice how I've not mentioned anyone else here, not any other Republicans or Democrats who've said stupid, racist stuff.)
Old 12-21-2002, 04:42 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

Hi Martha!

I did not bring up others to get off the subject but to make a point. I do not believe in smokescreens, and I think my posts reflect that I was making a point.

If we truly believe in the freedom of speech and the ability to express ideas, then to remove someone from power because of something they said is wrong.

As for Mr. Lott.....He did not say, if you had won we would be better off because segregation would have made the country better. He made his comments and they have been interpreted to mean certain things. He made his comments at a party for a 100 year old man. A man, who despite his wretched beliefs, has served his nation, his state, and the people for a long long time. He made his comments, based on what I saw on TV to make the 100 year old man feel good not to say he believes the country would be better off because of segregation. There are a 1,000 other issues that he could have been referring to with his comments.

Do I like Lott. No. Do I think segregation was an abomination on this country? Yes. Do I think it was a racist policy? Yes.

Peace
Old 12-21-2002, 04:57 PM   #25
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:05 AM
Quote:

the "shrill" will always be w us..
ignore him Matt, hes attempting to bait u.

Diamond
All right, diamond, deep asked a question and dread answered it. There was no need for you to throw in your 2 cents from the proverbial peanut gallery. Let's keep this as pleasant as a discussion about a throwback segregationalist ex-Senate majority leader can be.

Join Amnesty.
Old 12-21-2002, 05:25 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Im w Martha on this.

Even tho the left gets a a pass w some of their racists/racial comments - there is a double standard, Trents comments showed his racial obtuseness and insensitivity as an American Leader .

Im proud to say we hold a higher standard now on righting wrong things said by our leaders.

The Democrats cannot claim this.
We can.

Pax-
hi there..

DB9
Old 12-21-2002, 05:55 PM   #27
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by martha
It's interesting how all of you guys start out by saying how much you can't stand the old boy, and then bring up other people to take the focus away from someone who appears to have been very consistent in his bigoted views and the expression of those views.

Why are you defending him? Seriously. Why? And please try to keep the focus of your comments on Trent. Please don't point to the other boys who jumped off the roof, too, and didn't get yelled at.

Why would you defend a bigoted old bastard who finally got the shit he deserved for the thinking and actions he's pursued for years?

Or you can dismiss me as a liberal, and refuse to answer me. (Which will answer my question in ways you may not have intended.)

(Notice how I've not mentioned anyone else here, not any other Republicans or Democrats who've said stupid, racist stuff.)
Alright, let's focus on Trent Lott and what he said and where he said it. Off the cuff remarks at Strom Thurman's 100th birthday is more akin to comments made at a celebrity roast than a politicians official policy statement.

If you're principle is that we should judge others by what they say, whenever they say it, no matter what the context, then you are painting a picture of a world that most of us would not want to live in.

Also, forum members do not have an obligation to post or reply. Silence does not give you an answer.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:09 PM   #28
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Alright, let's focus on Trent Lott and what he said and where he said it. Off the cuff remarks at Strom Thurman's 100th birthday is more akin to comments made at a celebrity roast than a politicians official policy statement.

.... no matter what the context, ....

From the LA Times today (they cite the Washington Post as their source):

"You know, if we had elected this man [Thurmond] 30 years ago, we wouldn't be in the mess we are in today." Rep. Trent Lott in 1980

Lott's got a record a mile long as a racist Southerner. And age doesn't excuse Strom Thurmond's record, either. I don't care how old he is.
Old 12-21-2002, 06:11 PM   #29
She's the One

Quote:

The Democrats cannot claim this.
You brought in others, DB.

:spank:
Old 12-21-2002, 06:15 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Im proud to say we hold a higher standard now on righting wrong things said by our leaders.
*awaits gay rights legislation then

Melon