No Mexicans on Our Beach! U2Bama posted a thread a while back.... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 06-26-2003, 11:12 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:36 PM
No Mexicans on Our Beach! U2Bama posted a thread a while back....

about a local politician making inappropriate remarks.

Well, we have a situation here that won't go away.
Quote:

Councilman opposes grass areas on beach

Corona del Mar's Dick Nichols says he doesn't want 'Mexicans' using those areas all day.

June Casagrande
Daily Pilot

June 18, 2003

NEWPORT BEACH As City Council members prepare to hear a proposal for improvements at Corona del Mar State Beach, Councilman Dick Nichols on Tuesday said he opposes adding more grassy areas to the beach in part because "Mexicans" dominate these areas.

"With grass we usually get Mexicans coming in there early in the morning and they claim it as theirs and it becomes their personal, private grounds all day," Nichols said in a phone interview.

The comment was just one of many points the councilman made as he explained his opposition to the proposed improvements, but it is the one that most troubled his colleagues.

"This concerns me," Mayor Steve Bromberg said. "I'm very bothered because this is not the way the people of Newport Beach are. The people of Newport Beach are very progressive and it's indeed unfortunate if we have an elected official spewing what might be interpreted as a racial epithet."

John Heffernan, who like Nichols was supported in his council run by the city's controlled-growth Greenlight movement, also said he disapproved of the comment.

"When you're a public official, you can't make comments that are racially toned," Heffernan said. "What you say is taken far differently because you're a public official."

Greenlight officials also quickly distanced themselves from Nichol's comments.

"We are troubled by Dr. Nichol's alleged quote," said Greenlight spokesman Phil Arst. "He was endorsed by Greenlight because of his long record of community service as opposed to that of his principal opponent. Greenlight is committed to a better quality of life in Newport Beach and while we stand behind the reasons for our endorsement of Dr. Nichols as an insightful and hard-working community activist, who has been making a difference in speaking up for the residents, we are sorely disappointed with his comment."

It's the second time that Nichols used the word "Mexican" in a way that raised concerns. At the Oct. 22, 2002 City Council meeting, Nichols referred to a motorist as a Mexican, though he did not know the man, his country of origin or citizenship.

Nichols made the more recent comment while discussing details of the beach improvement plan that will be heard at an upcoming City Council meeting.

In addition to expanded grassy areas, Nichols said he also opposes plans to build added facilities for lifeguards because they will take up more of the sand area than is necessary for public safety.

Fire Chief Tim Riley said that the fire department, which oversees the lifeguards, supports the improved lifeguard facilities because they will allow for a higher level of safety in a beach area that's difficult to serve because the harbor entrance separates Corona del Mar from most of the beach area the city lifeguards patrol.

Better amenities are needed there because of this access issue, he said.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:17 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
Local Time: 01:36 AM
oh no not those dirty mexicans. now i will be around those beaches in july, maybe i should go do my part and pollute the beaches with my mexican-american self.

Old 06-26-2003, 11:29 PM   #3
Blue Crack Addict

SenoritaVeletDress,

Stay OFF the grass!

Old 06-26-2003, 11:46 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

And no more lifeguard facilities because we don't want to lose sand area? He probably never goes to the beach.

Loser
Old 06-27-2003, 07:51 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Location: basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized by the orbit of his hips..Also Holding Bono Close as he requested.
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by deep
SenoritaVeletDress,

Stay OFF the grass!

*does a very dirty mexican hat dance with joy and glee on the forbidden grass*
Old 06-27-2003, 11:20 AM   #6
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:36 AM
This guy sounds like a real Neanderthal. The ironic thing is that the name of the beach is Spanish! My sister's boyfriend is Mexican. I don't like this guy's attitude.
Old 06-27-2003, 12:32 PM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie

stupid
Old 06-27-2003, 02:12 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:36 AM
Who said racism doens't exist anymore?
Old 06-27-2003, 02:37 PM   #9
BAW
The Flower

And he just digs himself in a little deeper...

Quote:
Nichols cant quite pull foot out of his mouth

By GORDON DILLOW
The Orange County Register

We went 'round and 'round and over and over it. But for the life of him, Newport Beach City Councilman Richard Nichols still couldn't seem to understand why he's in such big trouble.

Nichols is the guy who's in hot water for his recent comment about "Mexicans." Specifically, in an interview with a local newspaper about plans to add more grassy areas to a local beach, Nichols said this:

"With grass, we usually get Mexicans coming in there early in the morning, and they claim it as theirs and it becomes their personal, private grounds all day."

As you might imagine, Nichols, who is white, was widely denounced for making a racist remark. His council colleagues want him to resign, there's talk of a recall against him, he's been hounded by reporters.

And through it all, Nichols, 63, still doesn't understand why people are mad at him.

"I'm not a racist," he told me. "I was just making an observation. It wasn't a racial slur. I was just making a statement. You ought to be able to make a statement."

Well, the education of fledgling politicians - Nichols has only been on the council since November - isn't really my job. But Nichols seemed so genuinely baffled, so utterly at a loss, that I felt like I had to try.

No, I said, there isn't anything inherently racist about the word "Mexican" when referring to citizens of Mexico; it's like calling citizens of Canada "Canadians." But I still thought he had screwed up.

After all, being of Mexican descent doesn't mean you're not an American. And not all Hispanics are of Mexican descent, and it's uncivil and impolite to suggest they are. For example, I'm of European descent but that doesn't mean I want to be called a Frenchman.

And if Mr. Nichols wanted to make an argument about illegal immigrants overusing public facilities, fine, it's a legitimate issue. But absent a documents check, who's to know whether these alleged grass-hoggers are Mexicans or Spanish-speaking Americans or immigrants from Poland?

But Nichols doesn't get it.

Yes, he repeated an earlier statement that he probably should have said "people" instead of "Mexicans." But then he went on to say, "What I was trying to convey was that the people we've seen (monopolizing the grass) are predominately old-time residents who happen to be of Mexican nationality."

Stop it, Dick. You aren't making it better.

Now, as I've said before in this space, there is a double standard of racial outrage in this country. White guys seem to get in a lot more trouble for alleged racist remarks than anybody else. And allegations of racism are thrown about far too freely.

So I'm certainly not going to join the chorus that's calling Nichols a racist. Racism is more a matter of what's in your heart than what comes out of your mouth - and I wouldn't presume to know what's in his heart.

But I do know this much: Politeness and civility in racial issues are important.

And somewhere between your heart and your mouth, you should always try to get your brain involved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gordon Dillow may be reached at (714) 796-7953 or by e-mail at GLDillow@aol.com.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old 06-27-2003, 02:49 PM   #10
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

lol. i'm sorry to laugh, but it is sorta funny and sad at the same time.

Old 06-27-2003, 05:27 PM   #11
Refugee

omg that is just too funny. I say "funny" because he is so obviously clueless about what he said.

dork.

]
Old 06-27-2003, 07:26 PM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

It is a bit funny, his days are numbered.

Quote:
Mayor suggests that Nichols resign
Steve Bromberg says if his colleague has problems with minorities, it's not representative of the city.

June Casagrande
Daily Pilot

June 19, 2003

NEWPORT BEACH Mayor Steve Bromberg said Wednesday that Councilman Dick Nichols should consider stepping down from the council in the wake of Nichols' comments about people he identifies as Mexicans using the beach. But Nichols on Wednesday vigorously defended his statement.

"If Mr. Nichols' comments about specific minorities reflect the way he truly feels, he should consider resigning as councilman because that's not truly representative of the best interests of this community," Bromberg said.

Nichols had said during a phone interview Tuesday that he opposes some of the renovations proposed for Corona del Mar State Beach, including expanding the grass areas.

"With grass, we usually get Mexicans coming in there early in the morning, and they claim it as theirs, and it becomes their personal, private grounds all day," Nichols said Tuesday.

In a phone interview from a Santa Ana hospital where he is being treated for an infection in his leg, Nichols on Wednesday defended the previous day's comment and said that it had been taken out of context.

"Why don't you go down there and take a survey and see what fraction of the people on the weekends are from where? You're going to see a predominance of people that don't live in the area," Nichols said Wednesday. "My statement was honest. It doesn't say I'm discriminating against them. Where the hell am I in any way discriminating or being a bigot by making a statement that is blatantly true?"

Some of his colleagues criticized Nichols' comment, but none has publicly accused him of discrimination or of being a bigot.

Nichols pointed out that the comment was just one of about 25 points he had made in an extended phone interview on Corona del Mar State Beach improvements. He said that the fallout over his comment amounted to political correctness.

"This is P.C.," he said. "Evidently, if you use one of these special words, you've done a no-no and you've already been fired from office if you're a Republican. If you're a Democrat, you can join the Ku Klux Klan, and not a thing happens to you."

Rusty Kennedy, who heads the county's Human Relations Commission, was speaking to the Newport-Mesa Interfaith Council at the Orange Coast Unitarian Universalist Church in Costa Mesa on Wednesday. He found Nichols' comments surprising.

"It is hard to believe that someone in a position like that would say something so insensitive," Kennedy said. "He should apologize."

Last week, Nichols' colleagues debated censuring him for a comment he made at a Planning Commission meeting. At that meeting, Nichols told Planning Commissioners that he thought their opposition to a variance request was illogical and unfair.

"It doesn't look good," Nichols said at that meeting. "It looks like you're taking money for this one."

Nichols apologized for the remark, and colleagues ultimately dropped the matter.

In October, Nichols drew heat from a community member for describing a motorist as a "Mexican" in a televised council meeting, even though Nichols did not know the man, his nationality or whether he was a U.S. citizen.
Old 06-28-2003, 11:24 PM   #13
Refugee

Local Time: 12:36 AM
It can be seen as funny, but I'm sure for the "mexicans" is a very serious issue, racism is heavy in those areas, and yes is very sad.
Old 06-29-2003, 02:02 AM   #14
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:36 PM
Quote:
"Why don't you go down there and take a survey and see what fraction of the people on the weekends are from where? You're going to see a predominance of people that don't live in the area," Nichols said Wednesday.

Nichols is upset because South Orange County's affluent white enclave known as Corona Del Mar is being "invaded" by non-whites. Hmmm. Last I checked, CDM is a state beach. It's not Malibu Colony. Everyone is entitled to enjoy it.

I say the presence at Corona of beach-goers who happen to be hispanic or any other ethnicity is a good thing. South O.C. needs some color splashed onto its whiteness.

http://www.beachcalifornia.com/cdm.html
Old 06-29-2003, 11:07 AM   #15
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by verte76
... The ironic thing is that the name of the beach is Spanish!

i know what a fucking idiot! he might as well change the name of the beach to an anglo name to satisfy his racist views.