No Infidel Help - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-12-2005, 12:35 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:58 PM
No Infidel Help

Indonesia wants foreign troops out, defends restrictions on tsunami aid

I guess you can put strings on how you receive aid.....

Old 01-12-2005, 01:08 PM   #2
War Child

Local Time: 09:58 PM
Re: No Infidel Help

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Indonesia wants foreign troops out, defends restrictions on tsunami aid

I guess you can put strings on how you receive aid.....

Hardly surprising

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles...e.asp?ID=16584

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_...55E401,00.html

One man’s opinion? Sure. But it is an opinion with deep roots in Islamic tradition, and it would therefore be naïve to dismiss it as simply Desai’s own mean-spiritedness. The Qur’an contains a warning against those who turn “in friendship to the Unbelievers….If only they had believed in Allah, in the Prophet, and in what hath been revealed to him, never would they have taken them for friends and protectors, but most of them are rebellious wrong-doers” (5:80-81). It also tells Muslims that “never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion” (2:120).

These are words that Powell should consider carefully — because Muslims in the tsunami-stricken areas and elsewhere are doing so. They lead them to regard the relief efforts not as a sign of American goodwill, but as part of a larger plan to subvert Islam.

Old 01-12-2005, 01:11 PM   #3
Acrobat

Local Time: 03:58 PM
I'm not completely sure I see the problem here. Aceh is a province at war, so it seems reasonable that some sort of mechanism be put in place to protect aid workers in the region. Certainly turning people loose to do as they wish is not very wise in an area that is rebelling against the central government and already has a reputation for violence and kidnappings.

I'm also not sure where you get your headline from - "no infidel help?" That's not something that anyone in the article comes close to saying. Quite the opposite, in fact:
Quote:
The vice president said Aceh in the near future would need foreign medical workers and engineers instead of military assistance.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by strannix
I'm not completely sure I see the problem here.

Is it one more chance to (indirectly) bash Islam?
Old 01-12-2005, 01:20 PM   #5
BAW
The Flower

Quote:
I'm not completely sure I see the problem here. Aceh is a province at war, so it seems reasonable that some sort of mechanism be put in place to protect aid workers in the region. Certainly turning people loose to do as they wish is not very wise in an area that is rebelling against the central government and already has a reputation for violence and kidnappings.

I'm also not sure where you get your headline from - "no infidel help?" That's not something that anyone in the article comes close to saying. Quite the opposite, in fact:
I came to the same conclusion. I don't find anything in that article worthy of this thread title. Maybe I missed something?

And why should foreign military stay on after their relief missions are complete?

Quote:
Vice President Yusuf Kalla said foreign troops should leave tsunami-hit Aceh province on Sumatra island as soon as they finish their relief mission, staying no longer than three months.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:46 PM   #6
Refugee

Local Time: 05:58 PM
you know...it does make sense that people can put restrictions on how they receive aid. Often "help" can turn into "taking over". I mean we have all gone through this with well meaning friends or family members. Sometimes people want to help so much that they just start to control the entire situation and that is never a good thing.

Also, yes, this is a place that has a lot of warfare going on in it and it is important to keep whatever sense of balance and safety alive in places lilke this.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:48 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

The US presence on the Saudi peninsula was considered an afront to Islam because the Infidel (that's us folks) was on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

The US sends significant aid in support of tsunami relief, including US Marines, and it is considered an afront to Islam that the Infidel (that's us folks) is on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

Considerable restrictions are placed on US forces and others, in order to help.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:49 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:58 PM
Lets see......

Would we allow a foreign military on our soil to stay longer than three months?

I think this is going to turn into a misinterpreted statement.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:55 PM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
Lets see......

Would we allow a foreign military on our soil to stay longer than three months?

I think this is going to turn into a misinterpreted statement.
I guess the restrictions today is the point missed here.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 PM   #10
Blue Crack Addict

I can see why they're a little nervous about foreign military on their soil. Their relationship with the U.S. has always been tense. Plus, they have a bunch of internal friction and the government is just plain insecure. Saudi Arabia is a Wahhabist state and that's the basis of their belief "Muslims only". Hell, they only recently legalized Shi'ite Muslim practices. Indonesia is Muslim but I'm not aware that it's a Wahhabist state.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:02 PM   #11
Acrobat

Quote:
The US presence on the Saudi peninsula was considered an afront to Islam because the Infidel (that's us folks) was on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

The US sends significant aid in support of tsunami relief, including US Marines, and it is considered an afront to Islam that the Infidel (that's us folks) is on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

Considerable restrictions are placed on US forces and others, in order to help.
There's a lot of wild projection going on here. There's NOTHING in the article to imply that the Indonesian government wants us out because we're "infidels". And as I noted, there's even an explicit statement that our medical workers and engineers will still be needed. Only foreign troops will be asked to leave, and there's no indication that non-Indonesian Muslim troops will be any more welcome than Western troops are.

These two siutations are night and day anyway. Are you suggesting that type of extremists who are offended by our presence on the Arabian peninsula are running the Indonesian government?
Old 01-12-2005, 02:26 PM   #12
War Child

Another misleading thread title. But I guess there's a feeling you have to bait people into reading your threads.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:28 PM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

It seems like they object to foreign military but not foreign aid workers.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:29 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Are you suggesting that type of extremists who are offended by our presence on the Arabian peninsula are running the Indonesian government?
Running, no. Influencing, yes.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:47 PM   #15
Acrobat

Quote:

Running, no. Influencing, yes.
Um ... that's just a bit vague. Care to explain any further?