No Infidel Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nbcrusader said:

Hardly surprising

http://www.frontpagemag.com/Articles/ReadArticle.asp?ID=16584

http://www.news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,11906092%5E401,00.html

One man’s opinion? Sure. But it is an opinion with deep roots in Islamic tradition, and it would therefore be naïve to dismiss it as simply Desai’s own mean-spiritedness. The Qur’an contains a warning against those who turn “in friendship to the Unbelievers….If only they had believed in Allah, in the Prophet, and in what hath been revealed to him, never would they have taken them for friends and protectors, but most of them are rebellious wrong-doers” (5:80-81). It also tells Muslims that “never will the Jews or the Christians be satisfied with thee unless thou follow their form of religion” (2:120).

These are words that Powell should consider carefully — because Muslims in the tsunami-stricken areas and elsewhere are doing so. They lead them to regard the relief efforts not as a sign of American goodwill, but as part of a larger plan to subvert Islam.

I'm not completely sure I see the problem here. Aceh is a province at war, so it seems reasonable that some sort of mechanism be put in place to protect aid workers in the region. Certainly turning people loose to do as they wish is not very wise in an area that is rebelling against the central government and already has a reputation for violence and kidnappings.

I'm also not sure where you get your headline from - "no infidel help?" That's not something that anyone in the article comes close to saying. Quite the opposite, in fact:
The vice president said Aceh in the near future would need foreign medical workers and engineers instead of military assistance.

strannix said:
I'm not completely sure I see the problem here. Aceh is a province at war, so it seems reasonable that some sort of mechanism be put in place to protect aid workers in the region. Certainly turning people loose to do as they wish is not very wise in an area that is rebelling against the central government and already has a reputation for violence and kidnappings.

I'm also not sure where you get your headline from - "no infidel help?" That's not something that anyone in the article comes close to saying. Quite the opposite, in fact:

I came to the same conclusion. I don't find anything in that article worthy of this thread title. Maybe I missed something?

And why should foreign military stay on after their relief missions are complete?

Vice President Yusuf Kalla said foreign troops should leave tsunami-hit Aceh province on Sumatra island as soon as they finish their relief mission, staying no longer than three months.

you know...it does make sense that people can put restrictions on how they receive aid. Often "help" can turn into "taking over". I mean we have all gone through this with well meaning friends or family members. Sometimes people want to help so much that they just start to control the entire situation and that is never a good thing.

Also, yes, this is a place that has a lot of warfare going on in it and it is important to keep whatever sense of balance and safety alive in places lilke this.

The US presence on the Saudi peninsula was considered an afront to Islam because the Infidel (that's us folks) was on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

The US sends significant aid in support of tsunami relief, including US Marines, and it is considered an afront to Islam that the Infidel (that's us folks) is on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

Considerable restrictions are placed on US forces and others, in order to help.

Lets see......

Would we allow a foreign military on our soil to stay longer than three months?

I think this is going to turn into a misinterpreted statement.

Dreadsox said:
Lets see......

Would we allow a foreign military on our soil to stay longer than three months?

I think this is going to turn into a misinterpreted statement.

I guess the restrictions today is the point missed here.

I can see why they're a little nervous about foreign military on their soil. Their relationship with the U.S. has always been tense. Plus, they have a bunch of internal friction and the government is just plain insecure. Saudi Arabia is a Wahhabist state and that's the basis of their belief "Muslims only". Hell, they only recently legalized Shi'ite Muslim practices. Indonesia is Muslim but I'm not aware that it's a Wahhabist state.

nbcrusader said:
The US presence on the Saudi peninsula was considered an afront to Islam because the Infidel (that's us folks) was on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

The US sends significant aid in support of tsunami relief, including US Marines, and it is considered an afront to Islam that the Infidel (that's us folks) is on soil apparently designated as "Muslims only".

Considerable restrictions are placed on US forces and others, in order to help.

There's a lot of wild projection going on here. There's NOTHING in the article to imply that the Indonesian government wants us out because we're "infidels". And as I noted, there's even an explicit statement that our medical workers and engineers will still be needed. Only foreign troops will be asked to leave, and there's no indication that non-Indonesian Muslim troops will be any more welcome than Western troops are.

These two siutations are night and day anyway. Are you suggesting that type of extremists who are offended by our presence on the Arabian peninsula are running the Indonesian government?

Do Miss America said:
Another misleading thread title. But I guess there's a feeling you have to bait people into reading your threads.

I see your whopping 100+ posts..There are people who bait with thread titles, myself being one of them, for various reasons. It happens all the time in this forum. Mention the word GAY in a thread title, and you are are going to get thousands of views. Mention the word, poor, Africa as Jamilla does, and you are lucky for a 100 views.

You are throwing insults at a member of the forum who has respect from many on all sides of all issues.

You may disagree with the thread, and that is fine, but I find your insults pretty juevenile.

nbcrusader said:

I guess the restrictions today is the point missed here.

Again, we are on their soil, and I would expect those on my soil to follow the rules of our Nation.

I fail to see the problem.

Dreadsox said:

I see your whopping 100+ posts..There are people who bait with thread titles, myself being one of them, for various reasons. It happens all the time in this forum. Mention the word GAY in a thread title, and you are are going to get thousands of views. Mention the word, poor, Africa as Jamilla does, and you are lucky for a 100 views.

You are throwing insults at a member of the forum who has respect from many on all sides of all issues.

You may disagree with the thread, and that is fine, but I find your insults pretty juevenile.

Reading back I think you're right it was a little insulting but I didn't mean that way I just didn't get where it was coming from. I've just seen so many titles in here that are very misleading and that I don't find to be fair. Titles that seem to be attacks but the content of the thread has nothing to do with that. But I haven't been here all that long and I guess that's just how things are in here, I'll have to get used to it.

Sorry Nbcrusader.:reject:

Do Miss America said:

Reading back I think you're right it was a little insulting but I didn't mean that way I just didn't get where it was coming from. I've just seen so many titles in here that are very misleading and that I don't find to be fair. Titles that seem to be attacks but the content of the thread has nothing to do with that. But I haven't been here all that long and I guess that's just how things are in here, I'll have to get used to it.

Sorry Nbcrusader.:reject:

Welcome to FYM.......

And I apologize too......

Please forgive me when I make a misleading title...:wink:

This has little to do with Islam. Indonesia has been fighting a dirty war with Achenese seccesionists for decades now, there are energy resources and radical Islam involved - it is basically a very messy situation that the Indonesians keep under wraps as much as possible. They don't want to have foreign powers nosing around there for too long, they have to get the TNI in to keep up their job of crushing GAM in a most brutal fashion.

You also have to consider the Indonesians dislike of Australia and the UN for "stealing" East Timor from them, they saw that as their territory being carved away by foreign powers and the Indonesian on the street does not want to see the USA and Australia give the Achenese independence.

hmmm...Indonesia's dislike for the US...
...when it was the US who created Indonesia as the current state by forcing the Netherlands to declare them independent. The US did so by threathening ot take away Marshall plan aid from the Neherlands, post WWII.

Wanderer is right on the mark, but I would like to add that Aceh's uprisings didn't start the last decades, the last major war there was at the turn of the century (disregarding WWII) but before that both british and dutch forces had been in conflict with local fighters.

Back
Top Bottom