"No Hablo Espanol and NEVER WILL!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MissVelvetDress_75

Blue Crack Addict
basking in my post-concert glow still mesmerized b
Those are the exact words displayed on a sign outside of a bar called "Mulligan's" in my city. I drove by that bar this afternoon and on the other side of the sign it says "I.N.S. Agents eat free" and on the other side it says "No Hablo Espanol and NEVER WILL". I have nothing but pity for the ignorance of the patrons and owners of that bar. I wonder if they allow a hispanic INS agent to eat free. :hmm: If I was an INS agent, I would be such a smart ass and walk into that bar and challenge that sign.

get a white friend to do it, cause those dumb hicks would probably pay too much attention to you. too bad i don't live in atlanta because I know some expert sign stealers :wink:

MissVelvetDress_75 said:
Those are the exact words displayed on a sign outside of a bar called "Mulligan's" in my city. I drove by that bar this afternoon and on the other side of the sign it says "I.N.S. Agents eat free" and on the other side it says "No Hablo Espanol and NEVER WILL". I have nothing but pity for the ignorance of the patrons and owners of that bar. I wonder if they allow a hispanic INS agent to eat free.

Why would the ethnicity of the INS agent matter ? What the bar owner is saying is that HE/SHE will not habla espanol.

its america....people should be learning and speaking in english anyway....got a metrocard the other day for the bus in nyc and it was all in spanish and nothing in english. thats a disgrace. nothing against anyone or immigrants or anything as long as they come here and learn the language and contribute positively to the country. and why are the people of that bar ignorant? because they are for the preservation of the english language and for the protection of america from illegal immigrants??? i hightly doubt theyre racist against spanish people in general. i know plenty of spanish people and work with a bunch who find it disrespectful that their own people speak spanish to them in front of me and a bunch of other workers who dont speak spanish.

Last edited:
its america....people should be learning and speaking in english anyway

that's right

this is not Spain
for god's sake!

if they can not speak the native tongue
they should go back
to wherever
and keep their cotton-pickin’ hands off our American jobs.

I also think people should learn a country's official language and that we need fair and efficient imigration laws. Still, I wouldn't want to be caught dead having signs like that in my window.

They should have to sing in English, too.

Bogus mariachi bands rob music-lovers

By Catherine BremerFri May 13,11:04 AM ET

In the latest crime ruse to hit Mexico City, thieves are dressing up as mariachi musicians in embroidered suits with wide-brimmed somberros to rob unsuspecting music-lovers.

Mingling among the roughly 1,700 licensed mariachi who serenade people with raucous folk songs in a central city square are hundreds of "pirate" mariachi more adept at picking pockets than strumming guitars, city officials say.

In a city where organized crime gangs make an easy living from armed assault and kidnapping, police fear the bogus musicians could trick people into taking them home to play at family parties, where mariachi are a popular treat.

"Since the end of last year we have been seeing mariachi who are not mariachi," said Jose Luis Tamayo, the government official in charge of a crackdown to weed them out.

"They are pinching wallets. They are going up to cars and signaling to accomplices if there's a bag or cell phone in sight. What worries us more than anything is that people could be robbed in their homes," he told Reuters.

I love Mariachi bands. Watching a real one is like a religious experience. I was able to get some fantastic CDs when I was in Mexico.

As for the topic at hand - I've lived in 3 different countries and my parents (mother in particular) was always adamant that we speak the local language first and encouraged us to not find other immigrant kids and speak our mother tongue with them as an escape. I think I adjusted a lot faster that way, so I'm not really a huge fan of people not making an effort to learn English or whatever.

But that sign is really ridiculously rude, and I think it's got very little to do with language and a hell of a lot to do with bigotry. They're making a bigger statement here, one which says a lot more about them than they may want us to know.

anitram said:

But that sign is really ridiculously rude, and I think it's got very little to do with language and a hell of a lot to do with bigotry. They're making a bigger statement here, one which says a lot more about them than they may want us to know.

I totally agree and that is what I thought the minute I read it. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the local Klan drink there.

DrTeeth said:
I also think people should learn a country's official language and that we need fair and efficient imigration laws. Still, I wouldn't want to be caught dead having signs like that in my window.

I agree with the good Dr.

Something to worry about indeed.

The dead are very easy to catch, they don't move very quickly.

You should leave written instruction
'all signs removed immediately upon my death’.

Last edited:
anitram said:

Thanks exactly how I view it as well. I definitely wouldn't feel comfortable walking in. I have no problem with their position on english as the official language. I'm all for it and I even support their right to say whatever they like. I just wouldn't offer them my patronage.

I am sure that if Pamela Anderson came jiggling in and said,

"Cervesa, por favor"

this good ol' boy would take a pool cue and beat her.

NYRangers78 said:
its america....people should be learning and speaking in english anyway....got a metrocard the other day for the bus in nyc and it was all in spanish and nothing in english. thats a disgrace. nothing against anyone or immigrants or anything as long as they come here and learn the language and contribute positively to the country. and why are the people of that bar ignorant? because they are for the preservation of the english language and for the protection of america from illegal immigrants??? i hightly doubt theyre racist against spanish people in general. i know plenty of spanish people and work with a bunch who find it disrespectful that their own people speak spanish to them in front of me and a bunch of other workers who dont speak spanish.

I disagree strongly with your comment "i hightly doubt theyre racist against spanish people in general." I think that is EXACTLY what they bar owners and operators are. If they simply did not speak Spanish (and knew they were too damned stupid to ever learn -- hence the "and NEVER WILL") they would do what I, as a English only speaker, do. That is, when someone speaks a language I don't understand (and sadly, there are many) to me, I simply show or say that I do not understand. Often if both parties try they can figure out a way to communicate if the request is simple enough. It would seem that the list of things to ask for in a bar are pretty limited, so even a person of limited brainpower should be able to figure out what patron, even one who does not speak the same language, is asking for.

However, by posting on a sign outside the business, "No Hablo Espanol and NEVER WILL" the bar owners are clearly stating that they do not want any of "those" people to come into the business.

I wouldn't set foot in that bar. Ever.

NYRangers78 said:

I agree.

Another good point is: how far will immigrants who come to america get if they don't learn to speak english? Not speaking english in the U.S. is a huge handicap and pretty much ensures most people who don't will live a life of poverty.

of course, thats why half the kids in public school are failing and then the poor teachers who work their asses off are blamed....the kids cant speak english and the parents dont speak english so how can they expect to flourish in an english speaking country without my tax dollars supporting them? my tax dollars are wasted every day on the kids in school who dont speak english, wont learn english, and just dont care...so why should i?

Back
Top Bottom