"No Hablo Espanol and NEVER WILL!"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Seabird said:

Because it's an unecessarily hardship on society as a whole. I have been in businesses where Spanish had so taken over I couldn't get anyone to understand me........

This is not fair to natural born US citizenscs?.........

It isn't helping the immigrants to learn English as long as we have options in Espanol........

And they couldn't get you to understand them....

You expect them to undertake the hardship of learning English for your convenience. Why shouldn't they be allowed to expect you to undertake the hardship of learning Spanish? If American can be spoiled and contrary, why not Mexicans?

Seabird said:

Indeed it is, and what does the term "melting" mean? It refers to people from all over the world blending in and becoming one with us. That's not happening if the blending isn't happening because some insist on retaining their own language and ways.........

Becoming one with us. Ooooookay.... Why is it that the only people expected to do any blending are the ones that come here from somewhere else? Why can't Americans do any blending? Have you ever made any effort to learn Spanish? If not, why not? "Because this is my country and everybody in my country ought to speak the same language as me for my convenience..."?

I may catch it in the teeth for this next statement; but I think this 'you must accomodate ME' response to this subject sounds like spoiled whining, and belies the national arrogance of America. Face it, live with it, deal with it--we do not have a national language. People who come here from elsewhere are not under any binding obligation to learn any particular language. Yeah, they'd probably do better if they learned English. But they don't have to if they don't want to. Are we really so helpless and weakwilled that the only way we can deal with it is "Learn some damn English 'cause you're making my life uncomfortable!"?

Yeah, if they could find the time and the facility, I think it would be in their best interests to learn some English. But some don't, or can't, or faced with the attitudes of many Americans, don't even try. There are a lot of people in this country who would like to see the Mexican border completely sealed; you think the Mexicans who actually get here don't know that? You think that they believe "If I just learn some English, all these people will start treating me like a human being?" I wouldn't be surprised if some of them see no point in learning English, because they don't believe (and I wouldn't blame them) that it will change the attitudes of Americans at all, or really provide them with better opportunities in the face of wide spread anti-immigrant sentiment.

You know, the older I get, the more and more dismayed I am with America. The more I wish we were half as good as we like to think we are....

echo0001 said:

You know, the older I get, the more and more dismayed I am with America. The more I wish we were half as good as we like to think we are....

I have to agree. If that makes me unpatriotic, so be it.

BonosSaint said:

I have to agree. If that makes me unpatriotic, so be it.

I don't think it makes you the least bit unpatriotic. I think it's good when we can admit that we aren't perfect. Gets us a teeny-tiny bit closer to being as good as we think we are.

Back
Top Bottom