No flags in school - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-27-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
The Fly

Local Time: 03:09 PM
No flags in school

I've recently moved to the state of Florida (southwest Florida to be exact), and one school rule caught my interest:

"The wearing or display of flags on our campuses has historically and currently caused
dissension along with a potentially unsafe and hostile learning environment for our
students. In an effort to provide safe schools and prevent potential disruption, the
following flags are the only ones that may be displayed and/or worn on - - - - County
Public Schools campuses and at off campus school-related activities: (1) the United
States and POW/MIA flags; (2) the State of Florida flag; and (3) official school flags.
In addition, any related symbols may not be displayed or worn on campus and at off
campus school-related activities."

I personally think it's a sad time when people are so "sensitive" that the wearing of flags on clothes is a problem. I'm curious to what the rest of you think of this rule . . .

Old 08-27-2006, 09:06 PM   #2
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
It seems to me that that rule is mainly directed at the Confederate War flag, even though it doesn't say. That flag has caused alot of controversy. It's not the actual Confederate States flag, it's the War Flag. Personally, I think someone can be proud of a Southern heritage that includes hospitality, fried chicken, and other non-political stuff, and be very open minded about race relations. There's more to the South than racial tension. I guess the people in Florida don't want any flag controversies.

Old 08-27-2006, 09:18 PM   #3
Blue Crack Overdose
Get me off the internetz!

Local Time: 01:09 PM
I just say what's this world coming to? What will it be next for rules in the schools especially? Can't wear bandanas, can't wear sexually explicit sayings on shirts or short short skirts, can't wear baggy pants or chains, can't wear flip flops, can't show your navel........no gang attire, and now can't wear the flag? Schools should just issue uniforms.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:44 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:09 PM
I would say that the school probably has a very good reason for setting that rule; reasoning that is certainly lost on people like us who have no context on the kind of bad behavior that preceded the creation of that rule.

Frankly, if I were in charge of public schools, I'd create a very strict dress code, similar to what one would expect in the working world.

Melon
Old 08-27-2006, 10:14 PM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Frankly, if I were in charge of public schools, I'd create a very strict dress code, similar to what one would expect in the working world.

Melon
I agree.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:08 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Yes, the importance of proper dress codes cannot be stressed enough.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #7
She's the One

Local Time: 01:09 PM
^ What an appropriate post for the discussion.
Old 08-27-2006, 11:46 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Quote:
Originally posted by melon
I would say that the school probably has a very good reason for setting that rule; reasoning that is certainly lost on people like us who have no context on the kind of bad behavior that preceded the creation of that rule.

Melon
I completely agree. I deal with dress code violations every morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
I just say what's this world coming to? What will it be next for rules in the schools especially? Can't wear bandanas, can't wear sexually explicit sayings on shirts or short short skirts, can't wear baggy pants or chains, can't wear flip flops, can't show your navel........no gang attire, and now can't wear the flag? Schools should just issue uniforms.
So you think kids should be able to wear shirts that say "She takes it in the back and swallows deep?" I actually made a student take a shirt off that said this last week.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:24 AM   #9
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

I'm not one to believe in flags, but there needs to be logic and fairness when applied to dress codes.

I know people who would strongly disagree with this rule yet strongly support the ban of "baggy" jeans. Now how does this make sense?

But seriously what teenager today wants to wear a confederate flag that doesn't have an agenda, ask yourself that question...
Old 08-28-2006, 01:26 AM   #10
Jesus Online

Local Time: 08:09 AM
Uniforms are an excellent idea and I think essential, for school kids. 2 reasons, one is that it strips all of individuality and makes everyone equal. No issues with the expense of your wardrobe or not being fashionable enough. Sounds silly, I spose, to some of you, but kids are at school to learn. Not be distracted and engage in esteem destroying fights on whether they fit in or not. And secondly, practicality.

As for flags, I'm no fan of deep fried chicken, that's for sure.
Old 08-28-2006, 05:49 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 07:09 AM
i agree with angela harlem, for once.

school uniforms (though they should be available as inexpensively as possible) are a great way of levelling us all. Cause God knows you could pick the rich kids on 'come as you please' days (ie. end-of-semester or special-occasion) when I was a kid.

As for the rest, I actually think there should be no flags in school, period. People need to learn their history before they're let anywhere near a flag.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:03 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Carek1230
Schools should just issue uniforms.
Yep.
Old 08-28-2006, 08:47 AM   #13
Blue Crack Distributor

i agree with those who are for uniforms in school, but back to the topic at hand...

besides the "stars and bars," there is a problem in south florida with immigrant gangs. not knowing enough about the situation and exactly where this school is, but that may be a reason, also. i know it's a huge problem in the miami area... not so sure about the other side of florida though. just a thought.
Old 08-28-2006, 11:58 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:09 PM
I'm all for school uniforms. They erase class distinctions and other distracting things.
Old 08-28-2006, 02:42 PM   #15
The Fly

Funny, cause the Florida State Flag is based on the Southern Cross Battle Flag......