No boobies in Parliament - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2003, 08:41 AM   #1
Jesus Online

Local Time: 10:24 AM
No boobies in Parliament

Seems this has now become an issue of sexual discrimination. Kirstie Marshall was asked to leave as she brought her 11 day old baby in Parliament's Question Time and was breastfeeding at the time. She was asked to feed her baby in the designated area as no members of the public are allowed in, but now everyone is of course up in arms about the wider issues it addresses. I think its taking it a bit too far personally. Not to say these issues of working mothers etc aren't relevant, of course.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/...064162764.html

Old 02-27-2003, 08:58 AM   #2
She's the One

Local Time: 03:24 PM
In California, a woman can breastfeed her baby anywhere, anytime.

We've taken our boobies back!!!!

Only perverts and the terminally uptight get upset by seeing a mother breastfeed her child. That is what breasts are for!!

Old 02-27-2003, 10:32 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:24 PM
Perhaps John Ashcroft can buy a six-figure priced cloth to cover up her breasts.

Melon
Old 02-27-2003, 11:15 AM   #4
Refugee

Local Time: 08:24 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
In California, a woman can breastfeed her baby anywhere, anytime.
Same here. I never thought it could be something to be ashamed of or seen as an improper behaviour. Babies cannot wait. When my two children were babies they were my bosses, LOL
Old 02-27-2003, 11:49 AM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:24 PM
Oh, I can't believe it. They want to kick someone out for breast-feeding a baby? We've got to have babies! Come on.............
Old 02-27-2003, 02:03 PM   #6
The Fly

Quote:
Only perverts and the terminally uptight get upset by seeing a mother breastfeed her child. That is what breasts are for!!
I guess that makes my father-in-law a terminally uptight pervert. When I was breastfeeding my son, he would leave the room

I breastfed long after going back to work and while my boss (a woman) was supportive, a few other co-workers complained about me having my breastpump at work!

Yes this is what breasts are for!! It's been this way for uh. . . several thousand years now
Old 02-27-2003, 03:03 PM   #7
She wore graaaapes

Local Time: 05:24 PM
I'm ready to get flamed for this one...

Let me see if I have this right...this woman was a member of parliament or just a visitor sitting in on the session? If she was just a visitor, then by all means, she and her breast feeding baby should have been allowed to stay.

But if she is a member of parliament, then she was "at work" and I have to take issue with her decision. I returned to teaching when my first born was two months old and while he was still 100% breastfed. This meant I pumped before and after class. There is NO WAY I could have taken him with me, taught my class and not have caused a major distraction.

Working parents have to make tough decisions about childcare, this starts from the moment they return to work. I don't like it, I wish there was a perfect answer, but there isn't. You make sacrifices when you have kids, that's part of the program.

**ready for the flames**
Old 02-27-2003, 03:16 PM   #8
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Like O2
This meant I pumped before and after class. There is NO WAY I could have taken him with me, taught my class and not have caused a major distraction.

hey, know this much: i agree with you!
Old 02-27-2003, 03:24 PM   #9
She's the One

Breastfeeding at work while working isn't the issue. It's the guys getting all worked up about boobs being used for their primary purpose while they (the guys) are in the room.
Old 02-27-2003, 03:35 PM   #10
She wore graaaapes

Quote:
Breastfeeding at work while working isn't the issue. It's the guys getting all worked up about boobs being used for their primary purpose while they (the guys) are in the room.
So if the baby had been sitting in her lap drinking from a bottle it would have be okay? If that's the case, sign me up for a job with parliament.

My point is that the baby being there doesn't seem to fit and would be a distraction regardless of how she/he was fed. But if babies are allowed and breastfeeding isn't, that's ridiculous.
Old 02-27-2003, 05:29 PM   #11
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Quote:
Originally posted by Like O2
My point is that the baby being there doesn't seem to fit and would be a distraction regardless of how she/he was fed. But if babies are allowed and breastfeeding isn't, that's ridiculous.
because at the very least, how are you supposed to debate new bills when there is a baby screaming its head off?

secretaries, teachers, everyone else has to find child care for their children if they're too young to go to school, and their workplace doesn't have a daycare. i don't see how she should be any different. to me, it's got nothing to do her breastfeeding her baby, but the fact that she's bringing it to work in the first place.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:12 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

Why would perverts get upset? Wouldn't they be happy?

Just because men like breasts does not make them perverts!

Oh, I know that is what they are for. My wife just finished weaning our two year old a few months ago. He still cries about not getting his boobies. See, not this is where I think it all starts. Now he wants to "PET" them before he goes to bed.

HEHE!!!!! CHip off the old block. Sorry, I guess I am one of those man perverts. Is that better than being terminally uptight?
Old 02-27-2003, 06:24 PM   #13
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

because at the very least, how are you supposed to debate new bills when there is a baby screaming its head off?

secretaries, teachers, everyone else has to find child care for their children if they're too young to go to school, and their workplace doesn't have a daycare. i don't see how she should be any different. to me, it's got nothing to do her breastfeeding her baby, but the fact that she's bringing it to work in the first place.
The original post made it sound like the breastfeeding was the problem, not the baby at work.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:26 PM   #14
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Why would perverts get upset? Wouldn't they be happy?

Just because men like breasts does not make them perverts!

Maybe I should have said perverts who won't admit they like boobies.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:27 PM   #15
She's the One

Boobies. Boobies. Boobies.

You know, it's not everyday one gets to type the word boobies.

Boobies.

Sorry.