No boobies in Parliament

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
cass said:
So as much as I love babies and mothers, I would like for things to be set up so a new mother gets a decent amount of maternity leave and good child care options when she returns to work.

Wooo hoooo to that! :yes:

When I had my son I was like "CANADIANS GET SIX MONTHS PAID MATERNITY LEAVE??!!" I was ready to transfer citizenship across the border immediately!!

That is one of my biggest pet peeves, that the U.S. has such poor resources for new mothers :( I'm lucky I found a church-run daycare near my house that is high-quality and inexpensive. But it's really really tough to find.

I would also like to add that I think people need to try to be understanding of new mothers. When babies are first born, they eat, A LOT. If they're breastfeeding, that is about all the mother does for the first few months. If the mother wants to ever have any interaction with any other humans she will have to breastfeed around other people. Maybe people will be embarrassed :shrug: But I don't see a problem with it, if it's done discreetly. New mothers have enough to worry about!

Maybe I'm spoiled, as we're Canadian, and mothers generally get more time off here. But I agree with Khanada and Like_02. I don't think babies belong at the workplace, regardless of whether the mother chooses to feed them in public or not. What do the babies do the rest of teh time? Doesn't that interefere with the mother's/other people's work?

I generally don't care if mothers breastfeed in public. It DOES make it awkward, if say, you're sitting directly across from them (where do you look?), but if I see a mother breastfeeding her child in a park, I don't mind.

If she was a member of parliament and actually had to feed in the middle of work like that, maybe she wasn't ready to return to work yet.

Back
Top Bottom