No boobies in Parliament - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #16
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha

Maybe I should have said perverts who won't admit they like boobies.

Their eyes look like this:

Old 02-27-2003, 06:28 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 04:25 AM

Quote:
Breastfeeding at work while working isn't the issue. It's the guys getting all worked up about boobs being used for their primary purpose while they (the guys) are in the room.
]

I disagree, if I used my penis at work for what it was made for, I would have gotten comments as well.

Old 02-27-2003, 06:50 PM   #18
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
The original post made it sound like the breastfeeding was the problem, not the baby at work.
either way i think it's a problem. i don't think it's offensive, but the baby shouldn't be at work. i'm sure her breastfeeding interferes with her working, and i'm assuming everyone around her would be decent enough to now gawk at her whilst she feeds. or, if she went into another room to feed, then it's not fair that she gets to keep taking breaks every 2 hours or so to feed her baby.

if she wasn't ready to be separated from her baby, like i'm sure i'd be at that point, i would stay home or try to go back to work gradually. i see it almost selfish of her to expect that everyone else in parliament is supposed to put up with having a baby screaming and crying all day because you have to admit, babies that young do just that. a five year old kid is one thing is the kid can behave, but the baby doesn't know any better, and at just eleven days only knows it needs food, sleep, warmth, etc.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:53 PM   #19
Kid A

Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth
]
if I used my penis at work for what it was made for, I would have gotten comments as well.
haha, what about your ass?
Old 02-27-2003, 07:00 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I told you before and I will tell you again Wanderer, you should pm me if you're having these sorts of questions again.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:04 PM   #21
She's the One

Local Time: 07:25 PM
Quote:
]

I disagree, if I used my penis at work for what it was made for, I would have gotten comments as well.
Not the same thing. Urinating or fornicating in public is completely different from breastfeeding in public.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:05 PM   #22
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

either way i think it's a problem. i don't think it's offensive, but the baby shouldn't be at work.
I agree with you. My point was that we don't know what the others were objecting to, the baby or the breast. My hunch is that it was the breast.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:09 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Not the same thing. Urinating or fornicating in public is completely different from breastfeeding in public.
It is, but then allowing something simply because it's a bodypart's 'primary function' is a weak argument.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:40 PM   #24
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 09:25 PM
Quote:
I agree with you. My point was that we don't know what the others were objecting to, the baby or the breast. My hunch is that it was the breast.
Old 02-27-2003, 07:48 PM   #25
She's the One

Quote:

It is, but then allowing something simply because it's a bodypart's 'primary function' is a weak argument.
I don't see the problem with women feeding their babies in public. It's just a tit. Get over it.
Old 02-27-2003, 08:56 PM   #26
New Yorker

OK, I'm a woman, I have boobs and I've never used them for their intended purpose. that being said, I do feel uncomfortable seeing a woman breastfeed. I know, its a beautiful thing, I know. But I went over to a friend's house and his wife was breastfeeding the baby right there. I felt a little uncomforable I admit. So if there were other people -- and I'm sure it could have been both genders -- uncomfortable with it then they can ask to have it done somewhere else depending on law there.

That being said, what the hell are you doing breastfeeding a baby in Parliament? it would be inappropriate for someone to bring their child to my office and start breastfeeding as they worked. I don't care whose breast the baby is sucking on.
Old 02-27-2003, 09:33 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 01:25 PM
I am not offended by the sight of a breast-feeding mother, but I know a lot of people are.
I don't think the excretory or sexual functions of a human's anatomy can be compared in this case, breast-feeding is a nurturing function. A third party is involved in the case of breast-feeding, a baby, a helpless, hungry infant.( a song comes to mind.....I want it all, and I want it NOW!!!.)
So that maybe is more the issue. A contented sleeping baby is a joy to behold, but when they are restless and hungry, they sure can make a ruckus.They don't make allowances for surroundings, they just let every one know they are hungry/wet/ gripey/ who knows. And then there's that other thing they do....when ever they feel like it, quite often at less than opportune moments...you know, ewwwwwwwwww, poooooooooo. So I think there are difficulties in easily including infants in the workplace.
So as much as I love babies and mothers, I would like for things to be set up so a new mother gets a decent amount of maternity leave and good child care options when she returns to work.
I haven't read about this case in detail, I don't know why the woman felt she had to be at work and couldn't organise someone to mind the baby for her in a near by office.

I have a story..maybe I told it here already..I was emailing a woman in the USA telling her how much I enjoyed nursing a young friend's baby , so his mother could go dance to the band we were seeing. The word "nursing" when it comes to infants, has different meanings in Australia and the USA....I found out.

hmmm I'll just go sit on my nest in the corner shall I..oh dear, incorrigible.
I was going to set up another champagne pyramid in your birthday thread Angela, but nah, left it optional for you
I forgot to actually say in the other thread...HAPPY BIRTHDAY
belated...but still woohooo
Old 02-27-2003, 10:41 PM   #28
ONE
love, blood, life

OK.....Here I am just out of teaching school. New teacher on the block. 1st time meeting parents over the first report cards I issued.

My third conference ever.....and......

Yes, you guessed it, the woman's baby started crying and yes.....she decided to feed the baby right then and there.

I did not know what the hell to do. I was already kind of nervous given the circumstances. Definitely, the strangest conference i have had in 8 years of teaching.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:58 PM   #29
Jesus Online

Local Time: 02:25 PM
Quote:

The original problem was that the infant is a non member, or 'stranger in the house'. Unfortunately as she was actually breastfeeding when she was asked to leave, the issue has grown to encompass all the things everyone has raised in here, such as whether the baby even belongs at work, whether breastfeeding in public is appropriate etc. So in a way you are right, it was originally the baby, but became the breast after much media hype.

And thanks Cass babe!!!
Old 02-27-2003, 11:07 PM   #30
She's the One

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
OK.....Here I am just out of teaching school. New teacher on the block. 1st time meeting parents over the first report cards I issued.

My third conference ever.....and......

Yes, you guessed it, the woman's baby started crying and yes.....she decided to feed the baby right then and there.

I did not know what the hell to do. I was already kind of nervous given the circumstances. Definitely, the strangest conference i have had in 8 years of teaching.

Sorry...but that's funny from far away.

:snicker: :snort: