No benefit in drinking eight glasses of water a day - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 04-03-2008, 06:54 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk


The downside is, I pee a lot.

And speaking of naturopathic matters, I also take what many would consider insane amounts of vitamin C every day, and have for 10 or 12 years. Linus Pauling is my hero.
Add a little Celtic Sea Salt. It will help you to absorb the water instead of having it go in one end and out the other, and is so nutritious. It's changed my life I swear! http://www.livingfoodfarm.com/info/c...beconned.shtml

I, too, am a big believer in massive quantities of vitamin C as well. I've had some unbelievable healing experiences with it, like with burns and stuff. Vitamin C IVs
__________________

__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:09 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 02:51 AM
The massive vitamin C really doesn't do anything as long you're not deficient in it. Most of it just goes right out into the toilet.
__________________

__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:31 PM   #18
Blue Crack Addict
 
joyfulgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Posts: 16,615
Local Time: 12:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
The massive vitamin C really doesn't do anything as long you're not deficient in it. Most of it just goes right out into the toilet.
Not true. At the onset of a cold, I have taken as much as 8000 mg every 20 minutes for 3-4 hours and had the cold never develop (also worked for me when I burned myself badly--my skin never developed any signs of a burn). I've also had Vitamin C IV treatments to boost my immune system before surgery or travel. You wouldn't want to take that much every day but I have used high dosages to great healing effect in many a crisis, and because I take it regularly, I have a high bowel tolerance.
__________________
joyfulgirl is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:42 PM   #19
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 02:51 AM
I'm not going to dispute what you say in your case. Studies have shown that high vitamin c can reduce the duration of a cold, but a lot of other purported claims haven't been backed up yet.

Taking high doses of vitamins isn't something that should be done lightly either. They can have a very negative impact on your body and cause some strange interactions with any medications you're taking. One study comes to mind that looked at vitamin A superdoses and it's impact on a certain type of cancer preventation and to everyone's surprise the vitamin a group had a higher incidence of the cancer. Again, I don't mean to tell you or anyone what to do, but for me megadoses of vitamins are a lot of hype and not a lot of action.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:43 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
The massive vitamin C really doesn't do anything as long you're not deficient in it. Most of it just goes right out into the toilet.
Am I misremembering, or are you a med student?

I know that some studies refute the claims of extreme dosages of vitamin C, but some agree with it. Have you read any of Pauling's work? I've read his books years ago, and then just a few weeks ago, came across this old interview online. It's lengthy, but fascinating, and talks about his work and some of the politics involved in having his studies recognized.

http://www.motherearthnews.com/Natur...Interview.aspx

Personally, I can attest to rarely every catching colds or viruses - probably the average for me is every two to three years. Once I went for nearly 5 years without having one. As well, I've noticed that since I've been megadosing, I no longer have to treat my seasonal allergies.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:45 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by joyfulgirl


Add a little Celtic Sea Salt. It will help you to absorb the water instead of having it go in one end and out the other, and is so nutritious. It's changed my life I swear! http://www.livingfoodfarm.com/info/c...beconned.shtml

I, too, am a big believer in massive quantities of vitamin C as well. I've had some unbelievable healing experiences with it, like with burns and stuff. Vitamin C IVs
Thanks for the tip, I'll check it out.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:46 PM   #22
Forum Moderator
 
yolland's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 7,471
Local Time: 08:51 AM
I never get colds either though, and very seldom flus (despite having three school-age children) and I've never taken any sort of vitamin supplement. That's really all just anecdotal.
__________________
yolland [at] interference.com


μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
yolland is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:49 PM   #23
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
I never get colds either though, and very seldom flus (despite having three school-age children) and I've never taken any sort of vitamin supplement. That's really all just anecdotal.
Exactly. One person can't take it, and make the claim that it works when there are so many other variables that could influence the outcome. I just know that for me personally, I now get way fewer than I did before I started taking it, and again, the whole lessening of allergy symptoms.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #24
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Yes, I am med student, which is why I'm somewhat skeptical of the megadoses. No money in prescribing vitamins.

Truthfully though, I believe that some sort of supplementation during stressful time periods can be beneficial, the body's needs are clearly different, but during good health, I tend to back away that the megadoses are useful. Whether the body can somehow adapt and handle higher levels - I don't know the answer to that.

It's sort of ironic that this thread came up today since I have an exam tomorrow that focuses on the kidneys. Let me tell you, that they are the most complex organs I've encountered and just a general pain in the ass to learn.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:55 PM   #25
Blue Crack Distributor
 
VintagePunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In a dry and waterless place
Posts: 55,732
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by randhail
Yes, I am med student, which is why I'm somewhat skeptical of the megadoses. No money in prescribing vitamins.

Truthfully though, I believe that some sort of supplementation during stressful time periods can be beneficial, the body's needs are clearly different, but during good health, I tend to back away that the megadoses are useful. Whether the body can somehow adapt and handle higher levels - I don't know the answer to that.

It's sort of ironic that this thread came up today since I have an exam tomorrow that focuses on the kidneys. Let me tell you, that they are the most complex organs I've encountered and just a general pain in the ass to learn.
I'm sure you're way too busy now (not too busy to reply to this thread, obviously ), but when you have time, you should check out the article I posted. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion. For what it's worth, Pauling also talks about vitamin C's affect on the kidneys.
__________________
VintagePunk is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:56 PM   #26
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
Caroni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Under Angel´s falls in Venezuela
Posts: 3,603
Local Time: 03:21 AM
In a world where only 0.4 % of the water is drinkable those are great news
__________________
Caroni is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 07:59 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
 
randhail's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Outside Providence
Posts: 3,557
Local Time: 02:51 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk


I'm sure you're way too busy now (not too busy to reply to this thread, obviously ), but when you have time, you should check out the article I posted. I'd be interested in hearing your opinion. For what it's worth, Pauling also talks about vitamin C's affect on the kidneys.
I'll try to get around to reading when I get some downtime. My attention span for studying is really fading though, literally for the past week I've gotten up studied with periodic short breaks, and then gone to bed. So I'm feeling a little burnt out, just get to 4pm tomorrow.
__________________
randhail is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict
 
anitram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: NY
Posts: 16,284
Local Time: 02:51 AM
I always thought the water thing was BS. First of all, we are all unique individuals with unique needs and it simply isn't true that we all have the same minimum threshold. That in itself is just completely counterintuitive.
__________________
anitram is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 PM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS
 
angelordevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Inside a sound
Posts: 5,827
Local Time: 04:21 AM
I'm eating my daily apple as I'm reading this thread.
__________________
angelordevil is offline  
Old 04-03-2008, 08:42 PM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life
 
financeguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Ireland
Posts: 10,122
Local Time: 08:51 AM
I'm smoking an asbestos cigarette, while injecting myself with crack.
__________________

__________________
financeguy is offline  
 

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:51 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Design, images and all things inclusive copyright © Interference.com