NJ schools and Iris Scanning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin24

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20060124/tc_cmp/177103003

NJ is implimenting new technology into some schools. So a student or parent trying to gain access into the school must have their eye scanned before doors are unlocked for entry. The technology still seems to new and what are the dangers to they eye from it being scanned multiple times??

Justin24 said:
[Bwhat are the dangers to they eye from it being scanned multiple times?? [/B]

Probably no worse than the hours of television the students watch.

Sad commentary on our society - how we have to secure schools with such measures.

There becoming prisons. The high school I went to had all these window to look into the school. Now there solid wall and when you walk down the halls the doors have one small window, like a maximum security prison.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I've worked at high security buildings that had lower tech security than this...

I work in one of the bigger airports on the East Coast...and we have less security than this!

Justin24 said:
So a student or parent trying to gain access into the school must have their eye scanned before doors are unlocked for entry.

i'm sorry, i might have missed it, but i read the article twice and i don't think it said that students had to be scanned. it said parents, teachers, and staff.

i would have no problem with this kind of security.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I've worked at high security buildings that had lower tech security than this...

I wonder who is selling the technology and what kind of relationship they have with the school board?

nbcrusader said:

I wonder who is selling the technology and what kind of relationship they have with the school board?
'

Good question. I'm betting the contract my school had with PepsiCo, including 17 Pepsi soda machines on-campus, is more dentrimental to the health and safety of students than a retna scan.

These types of procedures aren't new when it comes to childcare. Of course, the technology isn't advanced, but it's the same idea - everyone going in and out is checked and monitored. Even at our church nursery, children are passed over a counter that parents are not allowed behind and the parent dropping off the child gets a token. The matching token is pinned to the child and ONLY the parent holding the token can take the child. My mom works at an inner-city non-profit as the administrative assitance for the daycare service. Their doors are always locked and any parent wanting to come in is checked in and out by my mom (using a camera and speaker).

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
'These types of procedures aren't new when it comes to childcare. Of course, the technology isn't advanced, but it's the same idea - everyone going in and out is checked and monitored. Even at our church nursery, children are passed over a counter that parents are not allowed behind and the parent dropping off the child gets a token. The matching token is pinned to the child and ONLY the parent holding the token can take the child. My mom works at an inner-city non-profit as the administrative assitance for the daycare service. Their doors are always locked and any parent wanting to come in is checked in and out by my mom (using a camera and speaker).

Day care security is a very trick issue - you frequently have to deal with parent custody issues.

Back
Top Bottom