Nixon - conservative or liberal? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-18-2005, 07:05 PM   #16
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:49 PM
"What we are looking at on all our TV sets is a man who finally, after 24 years of frenzied effort, became the President of the United States with a personal salary of $200,000 a year and an unlimited expense account including a fleet of private helicopters, jetliners, armored cars, personal mansions and estates on both coasts and control over a budget beyond the wildest dream of King Midas . . . and all the dumb bastard can show us, after five years of total freedom to do anything he wants with all this power, is a shattered national economy, disastrous defeat in a war we could have ended four years ago on far better terms than he finally came around to, and a hand-picked personal staff put together through five years of screening, whose collective criminal record will blow the minds of high-school American History students for the next 100 years."
- Hunter S. Thompson, Rolling Stone #144 (September 27, 1973)

Old 07-18-2005, 07:06 PM   #17
ONE
love, blood, life

Nixon is liberal only when stacked up to the jokers that have succeeded him.

Melon

Old 07-18-2005, 07:09 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Melon
Point taken.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:13 PM   #19
ONE
love, blood, life

before I head off to bed....

Prescott Bush.....Bush Sr.'s Father...Recruited Nixon to run for Congress....and went to Eisenhower to get Bush on the ticket as VP.

Nixon supported Bush's 1964 campaign for the Senate.

When Nixon won re-election he ordered that he wanted everyone eliminated except for George Bush saying "Bush would do anything for our cause."

Nixon Appointed Bush Ambassador to the UN 1970

Nixon appointed Bush Chairman of the Republican National Committee...1972

bed calls.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:14 PM   #20
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox
before I head off to bed....

Prescott Bush.....Bush Sr.'s Father...Recruited Nixon to run for Congress....and went to Eisenhower to get Bush on the ticket as VP.

Nixon supported Bush's 1964 campaign for the Senate.

When Nixon won re-election he ordered that he wanted everyone eliminated except for George Bush saying "Bush would do anything for our cause."

Nixon Appointed Bush Ambassador to the UN 1970

Nixon appointed Bush Chairman of the Republican National Committee...1972

bed calls.

That's probably why he didn't like the Bushies

Cos he was initially dependent on them, then felt obligated to appoint him to all these posts, and Bush didn't live up to expectation.

And of course there's the persistent Deep Throat rumours!

George Bush - CIA man in the White House.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:24 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 07:33 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Nixon - conservative or liberal?

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
- Appointed gays to work for him
I should mention that this is generally a meaningless gesture. Nixon had Jews in his cabinet, such as the ever shadowy, Henry Kissinger, but it didn't stop him from being a raving anti-Semite.

And on the other side, our favorite frothy mixture, Sen. Rick Santorum, has a gay chief of staff and communications director, Robert Traynham. Just as there's the stereotype of the "self-hating Jew," there seems to be plenty of self-hating homosexuals more than willing to dig their own grave for power and money by working for the Republican Party.

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 07:41 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Nixon - conservative or liberal?

Quote:
I should mention that this is generally a meaningless gesture. Nixon had Jews in his cabinet, such as the ever shadowy, Henry Kissinger, but it didn't stop him from being a raving anti-Semite.

And on the other side, our favorite frothy mixture, Sen. Rick Santorum, has a gay chief of staff and communications director, Robert Traynham. Just as there's the stereotype of the "self-hating Jew," there seems to be plenty of self-hating homosexuals more than willing to dig their own grave for power and money by working for the Republican Party.

Melon
To be fair, Nixon knowingly appointed gay people to senior positions, never made a homophobic statement in his life (to my knowledge) and, as I said already, criticised Buchanan for his gay-bashing. Fairness, Melon, fairness!

In Nixon's own words: - "So many people are gay - or go both ways. I don't care. I don't want to hear about it. And I don't want to hear about abortion. That's peoples' own business. Tolerance in this party is far too low..........We've got to reach out to people - and mean it." page 109, 'Nixon off the Record', by Monica Crowley.
Old 07-18-2005, 07:52 PM   #24
ONE
love, blood, life

As someone once said to me during Nixon's final years, if he had been that intelligent and thoughtful during his presidency, he might have been remembered as a really good president.

I guess the same goes for Carter too; another man who has had a fairly memorable post-presidential life.

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 07:57 PM   #25
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
As someone once said to me during Nixon's final years, if he had been that intelligent and thoughtful during his presidency, he might have been remembered as a really good president.

I guess the same goes for Carter too; another man who has had a fairly memorable post-presidential life.

Melon
Well, in all fairness, what did you expect Nixon to do? Legalise gay marriage while in office? Give up on Vietnam the day he was appointed to office? Give the West over to the Soviets? He was a product of his time. So was Kennedy. They all were. All I'm saying is, Nixon could have been a lot worse. A hell of a lot worse.

I'm still not sure why Nixon is such a bugbear for liberals, truly I don't understand it.
Old 07-18-2005, 08:05 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy
I'm still not sure why Nixon is such a bugbear for liberals, truly I don't understand it.
He wasn't all that liberal. 1972 might have been the apex of the working class' buying power (having gone completely downhill ever since), but Nixon was the one that started the chain of deregulation that culminated in Reagan's war on the working class--hence eroding the working class' buying power. Nixon was also the one, when approached by OPEC about rising costs, told them to pass them on to the consumer. It's been said that Nixon's actions started the chain that led to the oil crisis of the late 1970s.

What he'll always be remembered for, however, is how he campaigned on pulling out of Vietnam in 1968 and then accelerated the war dramatically, coupled with the mess that was "Watergate." His White House tapes, of course, don't help, but they are an invaluable resource on how presidents likely operate behind the scenes. Notice how no president has taped their conversations since.

All in perspective, I guess.

Melon
Old 07-18-2005, 08:18 PM   #27
Refugee

Local Time: 03:49 PM
Nixon was NOT "Liberal" athough compared to guys like Bush Sr., Bush Jr. and in some cases...dare I say...even Bill Clinton he sure comes out looking alot more to the so called "left".
Old 07-19-2005, 06:48 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:49 PM
Nixon was a moderate conservative with some interesting ideas. I miss moderation in politics, it's not there anymore. If the guy hadn't screwed up with Watergate and Vietnam he'd have a better reputation.