Nine Year Old Jessica is Dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the iron horse said:
I believe the living God is very angry about this.

I don't think it's our place to project natural human anger onto God.

And we, as humans, have every right to be angry.

Melon

all_i_want said:
what happened?:|

Hope this helps...

Suspect Admits Killing Missing Florida Girl, Police Say
By MIKE BRANOM, AP

HOMOSASSA, Fla. (March 18) - A registered sex offender admitted Friday that he kidnapped and killed a 9-year-old girl who disappeared from her bedroom more than three weeks ago and told police where they could find her body, authorities said.

John Evander Couey, 46, had been arrested Thursday and named a ''person of interest'' in Jessica Lunsford's disappearance. He confessed to authorities after taking a lie-detector test, Citrus County Sheriff Jeff Dawsy said.

''At the end of the polygraph, he said, 'You don't have to tell me the results. I know what they are,''' Dawsy said. ''He apologized to the investigators for wasting their time.''

Authorities cordoned off an area Friday near the home of Couey's half-sister, who lived about 150 yards from the home Jessica shared with her father and grandparents. Dawsy would not comment on what investigators were doing in the area, but said it ''will take hours.'' Police had yet to recover a body.

A sheriff's spokeswoman who answered the phone at the Lunsford home Friday evening said the family declined to make any immediate comment. Jessica's father, Mark Lunsford, has said the family did not know Couey.

Jessica's stepfather, Lonnie Bryant, told The Associated Press by telephone from Ohio that he and the girl's mother, Angela Bryant, planned to come to Florida soon.

''I'm going through agony right now,'' he said.

Jessica, a third grader, was last seen when she went to bed in her home Feb. 23. She was discovered missing the next morning, with the door unlocked and her stuffed animal gone. The clothes she had laid out for school were still in place, and none of her shoes were missing.

More than 100 police and volunteers, with help from bloodhounds and helicopters, searched the area about 60 miles north of Tampa for days following her disappearance. Jessica's family made emotional appeals on national television for her safe return.

Detectives grew interested in Couey while interviewing all registered sex offenders in the area. They tried to contact Couey at his home in Homosassa five days after Jessica disappeared and discovered he no longer lived there.

When investigators followed up with the half-sister, she denied that Couey had lived with her. But another relative confided to a detective that Couey sometimes stayed at the home.

Authorities said Couey left Florida on or about March 4 after telling relatives that police would be looking for him. He was arrested in Augusta, Ga., on a probation violation for failing to notify officials that he was moving, a requirement for sex offenders. He was awaiting extradition to Florida on Friday.

Couey has an extensive criminal record that includes 24 arrests for burglary, carrying a concealed weapon and indecent exposure. In 1991, he was arrested in Kissimmee on a charge of fondling a child under age 16. Records don't show how the case was resolved.

During a house burglary in 1978, Couey was accused of grabbing a girl in her bedroom, placing his hand over her mouth and kissing her, Dawsy said. Couey was sentenced to 10 years in prison but was paroled in 1980.

What a sad ending to this story. I feel for the family.

That's just fucking disgusting. Oh my God.
I hope the worthless little tosspot is publicly hung by the balls. :mad: No, actually, hanging's too good for the likes of that. I know it's not right to say this =- but at the moment I'm so fucked up I don't care - but, if he sexually assaulted her, I hope he dies in fucking agony over a very long and excruciating period of time.

Forgive my vindictiveness - I know it's not the way to deal with things - but filthy scum like this should be made to suffer as far as I'm concerned. Die, you worthless bastard.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:
I hope the worthless little tosspot is publicly hung by the balls. :mad: No, actually, hanging's too good for the likes of that. I know it's not right to say this =- but at the moment I'm so fucked up I don't care - but, if he sexually assaulted her, I hope he dies in fucking agony over a very long and excruciating period of time.

Forgive my vindictiveness - I know it's not the way to deal with things - but filthy scum like this should be made to suffer as far as I'm concerned.

That kind of hate is counterproductive. I don't care what happens to him as long as he's behind bars for the rest of his life and unable to be a part of society. Other than that, people like him are not worth my energy.

namkcuR said:

That kind of hate is counterproductive. I don't care what happens to him as long as he's behind bars for the rest of his life and unable to be a part of society. Other than that, people like him are not worth my energy.

I agree with you - he should be kept away from society, and I also agree that people like that aren't worth wasting energy on. I said that knew it wasn't right to be so judgemental, but that's how I feel, and I do have my own personal reasons for feeling that way.

What you said there was common sense and I certainly can't fault your reasoning. Yours was a thoroughly rational, sensible and commendable post. But, I find it very hard to be objective with this sort of stuff, for a bloody good reason. So although I understand that I'm not providing any positive suggestions for solving the problem, I stick by what I said... despite it being 'counterproductive'.

Last edited:
sallycinnamon78 said:

I agree with you - he should be kept away from society, and I also agree that people like that aren't worth wasting energy on. I said that knew it wasn't right to be so judgemental, but that's how I feel, and I do have my own personal reasons for feeling that way.

What you said there was common sense and I certainly can't fault your reasoning. Yours was a thoroughly rational, sensible and commendable post. But, I find it very hard to be objective with this sort of stuff, for a bloody good reason. So although I understand that I'm not providing any positive suggestions for solving the problem, I stick by what I said... despite it being 'counterproductive'.

Am I to assume that your 'bloody good reason' is one that is too private to share publically? Just curious - if that is the case it is perfectly understandable.

namkcuR said:

Am I to assume that your 'bloody good reason' is one that is too private to share publically? Just curious - if that is the case it is perfectly understandable.
I hope you don't mind - but I sent you an email sort of briefly explaining what I meant - mainly because I don't want people to think that I'm just being a judgemental asshole.

sallycinnamon78 said:

I hope you don't mind - but I sent you an email sort of briefly explaining what I meant - mainly because I don't want people to think that I'm just being a judgemental asshole.

I don't mind, but I don't see it in my inbox. What e-mail addy did you send it to?

ANY...I repeat ANY ... crime against a child deserves the harshest of punishments....a majority of these scum-criminals are prior offenders, who, through some so-called justice, plea-bargain or other legal loophole, manage to get their way out and they repeat.....I say we instill a little law like the good old days and we hand out some sidewalk justice...let's leave the jail house door open and give Mr. Couey a visit.!!!! M-F
:reallyangryatlegalsystem:

namkcuR said:

I don't mind, but I don't see it in my inbox. What e-mail addy did you send it to?
I emailed you by just going to your profile page and clicking on the 'email namkcuR' link.

sallycinnamon78 said:

Forgive my vindictiveness - I know it's not the way to deal with things - but filthy scum like this should be made to suffer as far as I'm concerned. Die, you worthless bastard.

I certainly don't fault you for feeling this way...I think many of us do. The little girl's mom's from this area, so it's been in the news a lot here, and when the news conference was on earlier this evening, I just felt so disgusted.

I know that I may want people like this guy to suffer as their victims did, but I also know that I'm not the type of person who could actually do that to someone else, and I don't want to become that type of person. I don't think I could ever be in a profession where I would have to deal with such people, as I think I would either burn out or become the type of person I despise.

But it doesn't mean I can't, deep in my heart, hope that man suffers for what he's done.

indra said:

I certainly don't fault you for feeling this way...I think many of us do. The little girl's mom's from this area, so it's been in the news a lot here, and when the news conference was on earlier this evening, I just felt so disgusted.

I know that I may want people like this guy to suffer as their victims did, but I also know that I'm not the type of person who could actually do that to someone else, and I don't want to become that type of person. I don't think I could ever be in a profession where I would have to deal with such people, as I think I would either burn out or become the type of person I despise.

But it doesn't mean I can't, deep in my heart, hope that man suffers for what he's done.

That's exactly what I was trying to say but I let emotion get in the way of articulacy.

I am so sick of these "people" harming and killing children.

Everyone should look up convicted sex offenders online if that is available where you live and know who and where they are. I've done it.

I wish I knew what could be done to stop this once and for all.

Sorry our Congress is too busy with the steriods scandal in baseball and the Terry Schavio issue to worry about inacting tougher legislation on sex offenders. Makes me sick.

Back
Top Bottom