Nine Women Defy the Vatican

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jamila

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
....and were unofficially ordained as Roman Catholic priests and deacons!

Check it out:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20050726/lf_afp/canadavaticanreligion

OTTAWA (AFP) - Nine women risked excommunication by the Vatican following their unauthorized ordination as female Roman Catholic priests and deacons.

The ceremony, which was not sanctioned by the Roman Catholic hierarchy, took place on a boat on the St. Lawrence River near Gananoque in eastern Canada following a conference on women as priests at Carleton University in Ottawa.

The mid-river location was chosen because organizers said it was in-between the United States and Canada, where no official Catholic diocese has jurisdiction.

Four of the women were ordained as priests, while five were ordained as deacons.

Even so, the participants risk the same fate as seven women who were expelled from the church after being "ordained" on the Danube River between Germany and Austria in 2003.

"I only have my faith and my hope," former nun Michele Birch-Conery told AFP earlier this month. The 65-year-old Canadian took the priestly vows in the ceremony.

"I believe it's time to take this step," she said.

Despite the rise of female priests in some Protestant denominations, the Catholic church has steadfastly refused to admit women into the priesthood. Pope Benedict XVI reiterated the ban after being elected in April to replace the late Pope John Paul II.

Fourteen women have undergone unsanctioned ordinations in similar river ceremonies in Europe in recent years and 65 others are planning to do the same.

The Vatican reacted by excommunicating the first seven after they refused to retract their vows.

But two of the women, Christine Mayr-Lumetzberger of Austria and Gisela Forster of Germany, were later secretly ordained as bishops by their male counterparts in the Roman Catholic church, said Birch-Conery.

Mayr-Lumetzberger and Forster helped perform the shipboard ordination rites Monday.

"This doesn't conform to the Catholic faith. Church teachings are clear: only men can be ordained," Father Serge Poitras of the Apostolic Nunciature in Ottawa told AFP.

"People can do what they want. We don't have an army. We won't chase after them," Poitras said.

"All we can do is deplore such challenges to church doctrine and set the record straight," he said.

Over 220 friends and family attended the ceremony and banquet aboard the boat, which usually ferries tourists around the picturesque Thousand Islands on the St. Lawrence River, just north of Lake Ontario.

The Catholic church asked local priests not to comment on the event.

--------------------------------------------------------------
As a Roman Catholic who went through 12 years of parochial education, I say : it's about time!

:applaud:

They'd be better off joining the Episcopal Church.

It's an admirable symbolic gesture, but the Catholic Church is not a democracy. It's an autocracy that can only be stopped if everyone stopped believing in them and giving them authority.

Melon

Interesting. I support women's ordination. The traditional argument used is that there were no women at the Last Supper. But in fact women are simply not mentioned in the texts. It's highly questionable if there were in fact no women at that occasion. The Vatican isn't going to change. I don't see this situation changing in my lifetime.

Why should the Vatican change? The laws and beliefs of the Church are deemed to be from God. Any Church that changes its beliefs to conform to society is a misplaced church. I would rather believe in a church willing to hold its ground and not give into popular opinion.

randhail said:
Why should the Vatican change? The laws and beliefs of the Church are deemed to be from God. Any Church that changes its beliefs to conform to society is a misplaced church. I would rather believe in a church willing to hold its ground and not give into popular opinion.

It's an ideal logic, of course, but if you come to the opinion that the Vatican is not from God, but instead about a stubborn refusal to change, it's hard to respect them anymore. Lest we forget, female priests existed for the first 500 years of the Church. So either the early Church fathers were Satanic, God changed His mind 500 years into Christianity, or the Vatican is just stubborn.

Melon

randhail said:

you are a guy right??

I'm sorry but, as a woman, I feel that women have the right to be part of an institution which has been regularizing their lives for centuries.

And I don't think that God makes diferences between men and women. is the human society who has put women in a second place, not God. The Vatican is a "human" institution you won't find flying angels and rays of light... you will find a lot of male (surprise!!!) human priests writting rules for the catholic people, including women.

I'm happy for those women, and I'm also happy their male counterparts support their ordination too.

Back
Top Bottom