Nimby

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nbcrusader

Blue Crack Addict
More reasons to get rid of HOA's

Ocala homeowners association says evacuees are not welcome

OCALA - Tammy Coggins returned to her Majestic Oaks home after a weekend in Atlanta and found the welcome mat pulled out from under her good intentions.

While communities throughout the Sunshine State and elsewhere are welcoming Hurricane Katrina's storm-weary survivors, Coggins and others in the 500-home southwest Ocala subdivision were told by their homeowners association that their deed restrictions prohibited them from doing the same.

A flier, distributed by the Majestic Oaks homeowners association on Saturday, said that rather than allowing "additional families" in the community, residents were encouraged to contribute to hurricane relief funds.

And don't paint your house the wrong shade of white.

It sounds like that neighborhood has lost its concept of Southern hospitality. The HOA members should consider that we are only halfway through hurricane season, they are on the Florida peninsual, and they may need to live with relatives in their relatives' fancy neihgborhoods some day.

~U2Alabama

We have these places scattered around the place as well, but I think they're relatively newish and not likely to take off in popularity in a great hurry. My mum and dad were looking at buying a place up near Lake Munmorah, which is a fantastic spot, very beautiful, but the list of rules! It would be the kind of place to instigate such ridiculously selfish rules if a disaster ever struck.

I dont understand what prompts someone to want to live in a virtual prison. These things go beyond security. It is just ridiculous.

Those people better check there HOA to make sure it as safe for them to leave if, god forbid, Cali got hit with a Katrina.

They might have to stay there, and, perhaps, make sure the paint stays that perfect shade of white.

:down:

My parents met in Ocala. My grandparents, both sets of them, lived there for a long time. I spent much of my childhood there. I am ashamed of what the locals are doing now. They get hit with hurricane stuff all the time. As U2Bama pointed out we are only halfway through hurricane season.

I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a house in a place like that anyway. I guess it's good for people afraid of anything different. Pitiful. I remember when I first heard about such places -- I thought it was a joke.

I think subdivisions are too fascist anyway for my individualist tastes.

Melon

U2Bama said:
It sounds like that neighborhood has lost its concept of Southern hospitality. The HOA members should consider that we are only halfway through hurricane season, they are on the Florida peninsual, and they may need to live with relatives in their relatives' fancy neihgborhoods some day.

No kidding...

I wonder how many of these places had any Southern hospitality to begin with, though. There are tons of spanking-new, cookie-cutter "gated communities" around Fort Pierce, where my mother lives, and not only do they seem to be populated almost exclusively with wealthy Midwesterners and New Englanders, they don't even live there half the damn time. And guess who hollered loudest about the slow pace of repairs after last year's storms?

yolland said:

No kidding...

I wonder how many of these places had any Southern hospitality to begin with, though. There are tons of spanking-new, cookie-cutter "gated communities" around Fort Pierce, where my mother lives, and not only do they seem to be populated almost exclusively with wealthy Midwesterners and New Englanders, they don't even live there half the damn time. And guess who hollered loudest about the slow pace of repairs after last year's storms?

Ocala used to. My mother's family is all from Alabama, and my paternal grandparents were from Georgia and West Virginia. But it's been decades since I had any connection with the place. If I went back I probably wouldn't recognize the place.

"I dont understand what prompts someone to want to live in a virtual prison. These things go beyond security. It is just ridiculous."

------------

Wonder what happens when they leave and forget their security chip? Can they get back in?

:huh:

VertigoGal said:
Homeowners Associations are the spawn of the devil. Really. Pure evil.

:lmao:

That's true, I don't dispute that. But it made me laugh. :D

HOA's should have the limited purpose of managing shared infrastructure (slopes, community pool, etc.).

Too often, some individuals use them to to live out their political asperations, and homeowners use them as excuses to not speak with their neighbors - as a built in dispute resolution service.

I have not experienced these homeowner's association things-never had stuff like that in the towns I lived in (or, if we did, they were never in an area I lived in).

But from what I've heard about them, I don't think I ever want to encounter one :huh:. The people involved, I get the feeling, would drive me up the wall.

Angela

Back
Top Bottom