Next Target In African AIDS Fight- Sugar Daddies - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Old 11-25-2005, 07:37 AM   #1
Blue Crack Addict
Local Time: 05:49 PM
Next Target In African AIDS Fight- Sugar Daddies

The luring of teen women by older, wealthier men is a key factor in the spread of AIDS.

"Studies find older men represent a far-greater AIDS risk for young women. They're more likely to have HIV/AIDS than younger men, and, as sugar daddies, they often prevail over a woman on the issue of protection. "He will give you all the things you want, but you have to follow his rules," says Tirisa Bonareri, a grad student and member of the Go Getters club.

There are also more-subtle reasons young women accept sugar daddies. Due to a traditional African deference-to-elders wisdom, many young women believe an older man is wiser in the ways of sex. Also, the respect children here must show elders makes it harder for young women to reject an older man's advances.

Often family members approve, seeing the arrangement as financially useful."

Old 11-25-2005, 09:39 AM   #2
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Local Time: 04:49 PM
Good luck getting rid of this. I have seen it first-hand. Until African women are fully liberated, that is to say raised with the notion that they are independent, intelligent and worthy to be educated, that there is more to life than finding a rich husband (or protector) that will provide for you, then this will continue. One of my best girlfriends is dating an older married man because, hey she needs the money.
"I can't change the world, but I can change the world in me." - Bono