Next Season Of Survivor: Race vs. Race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

80sU2isBest

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
It is, I would say, one of the worst ideas in television history.

The next season of Survivor will pit race vs. race. Each tribe will be composed of members of the same race. I just read it in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram.

What brainchild came up with that idea?

I usually watch Survivor; I won't this season.

I am so disappointed. I have not missed one season. I allow my daughter to watch the show because I think it is good for her to see women competing with men. I cannot let her watch this season, nor will I watch it.

What the hell are they thinking?

A terrible idea.

We have too many problems on this planet regarding race as it is, and these shameful, cowardly race baiters make me sick to my stomach.

Honestly, what message are they trying to send?

I have so much hatred for people who bait on race, because anyone who's that low believes that one race is superior to another.

It doesn't matter whether it's Al Sharpton or the KKK, they both send the same damn message.

And now we have a bunch of rats baiting race for the sake of ratings.

I hope the sleeping giants wake up on both sides of the aisle, or go back to bed before Survivor appears.

Maybe this thread should've been titled Survivor Producers Expose Themselves As Racists. :wink:

For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams — blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

In a statement, CBS Entertainment, which is part of New York-based CBS Corp., defended the ethnic twist, saying it follows the show's tradition of introducing new creative elements and casting structures that reflect cultural and social issues.

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said. "'Survivor' is a program that is no stranger to controversy and has always answered its critics on the screen."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060825/ap_en_tv/survivor_19

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said.

Yeah, sure. :rolleyes:

I don't see what the big deal is. If people aren't racist, and everyone believes we truely are equal, then what is the problem? Was the gender that lost the Woman vs Man survivor series ostracised from the community? If we believe man and woman are equal, and can have no problem with putting them against eachother, why can't we do so with race if we claim not to be racist?

This is actually a really smart piece of experiment, the baseline commonality of race will make the tribes much tighter and fiercer competitors; race pride is of course the lowest form of self-elevation (since you didn't do anything to earn it).

commonality of race, you say? :hmm: yeah, i see that. i gravitate toward white people. this causes problems when i have to visit my sister (as she's black, poor girl), but i do see what you mean. it was much like when i went out hunting for a husband and again gravitated toward white blokes because i knew that keeping our blood pure when we procreated would make our children that much fiercer and stronger.

i think this is your best post yet, a_w.
:up:

I think that you have completely misunderstood me, in terms of a situation when you pit people against eachother and there are distinguishing things that make opponents an "other", I think that will invariably make the competion different.

Competition is the premise of the game show, making it more divisive will make that competition fiercer. I never argued in favour of the fallacy that is "race purity" and am offended at the suggestion that I did.

Think of it more in terms of those experiments where they do prisoner/guard scenarios and basically create an Abu Ghraib only in this one your average people that make up groups start behaving completely out of line on race issues; the history of humanity is full of examples where racial groups have been in conflict and the results were truly dire and I don't think any society or any people are ever completely beyond it.

Last edited:
Perhaps I did misunderstand you. Your post was rather vague. I still strongly disagree with you. It's not a smart social experiment. It is manipulating the team dynamic on something which, exactly, cannot be changed. It is not akin to the Abu Ghraib scenarios as that is requiring people to step outside their normal zone to assimilate a role specifically for a purpose. This is doing nothing, they come together on grounds which they did nothing to 'earn', as you say. The comraderie is built on something in which history shows human nature cannot deal with. Mob mentality degrades respect when race is made an issue. Am I underestimating the contestants? Pfft. Probably, but so be it. It is utterly ludicrous to even dream up such a shitty concept. Reality tv is dogs balls. I cant wait for the phenomenon to finish. However, it looks like it wont be in my lifetime, so I again retreat into ignorance by avoiding it.

Am I disagreeing about the end result, the breakdown of a tolerent people into somewhat racist groups (I doubt it would enter mob level) is interesting if only for what it teaches us about avoiding it.

I think the real title of this thread should have been:

:down: Survivor

Here's hoping that this season will bury this terrible show.

Melon

A_Wanderer said:
Am I disagreeing about the end result, the breakdown of a tolerent people into somewhat racist groups (I doubt it would enter mob level) is interesting if only for what it teaches us about avoiding it.

Who the hail doesn't already know that though?

In an odd way though, this format has resulted in a show where the majority of the cast are minorities which is unlike most tv.

Of course, the premise is distasteful.

I hear next season will be heterosexuals vs gays vs transexuals vs virgins, now that will be great tv.:wink:

But the Latino community - like many others are not exactly thrilled with the racial segregation concept. Worst still, even the odds placed on "Survivor" at online gambling website Bodog.com have Hispanics crying foul.

A $1 bet would payout $3 for the Latino group should they win. Compare that with $2.33 for the Whites, $1.85 for the now favored African Americans and Asians.

"In other words we (Hispanics) are only $67 more lazy than the Whites if we were betting $100?" asks Ramirez, whose group is favored dead last by Bodog.com.

You can find "Survivor" betting odds here ---> Bodog.com (Visit Website Here)

Angela Harlem said:
commonality of race, you say? :hmm: yeah, i see that. i gravitate toward white people. this causes problems when i have to visit my sister (as she's black, poor girl), but i do see what you mean. it was much like when i went out hunting for a husband and again gravitated toward white blokes because i knew that keeping our blood pure when we procreated would make our children that much fiercer and stronger.

i nearly spit out my soy latte when i read this.

very funny.

i've never, ever seen "Survivor."

it's weird -- i think this would actually be an interesting social experiment. will people suddenly identify and find solidarity through virtue of the most shallow and cosmetic of commonalities, race? will we see that aspiring to notions of colorblindness is little more than a white man's fantasy?

but it does seem socially irresponsible to peddle this as entertainment.

also, Carlos Mencia does something like this on his comedy show, "Mind of Mencia." he has people of different races compete against each other -- the white guy, named "Chad," in a white shirt; the black guy, "Leroy," in a black shirt; the latino, "Paco," in a brown shirt; the arab guy, "Ahmed," in a lighter brown shirt; the asian guy, "Chin," in a yellow shirt. and they compete in racially stereotypical contests -- watermelon eating, for example, or once they had "Leroy" and "Paco" compete to see who could steal more televisions and blenders from "Chin."

so "Survivor" is now doing what the comics have already satarized.

A_Wanderer said:
Im sure anybody that actually watches that show.
What did you mean by that, A_W? Was that an insult against the millions of people who watch Survivor?

AW, I'm reminded of one of my favorite Native American proverbs. A young man and his chief were talking about why it is that people sometimes do evil things, and what can be done about that. The Chief said that essentially life is a battle between two great wolfs, the wolf of kindness and the wolf of hate. The boy asks which one will eventually win the battle, and the Chief replies, "Whichever one you feed."

This is feeding the wrong wolf.

A_Wanderer said:
Im sure anybody that actually watches that show.

Ummm....Wow.....That was pretty insulting if I am reading it correctly.

Back
Top Bottom