Next Season Of Survivor: Race vs. Race - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 08-24-2006, 09:00 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 05:56 PM
Next Season Of Survivor: Race vs. Race

It is, I would say, one of the worst ideas in television history.

The next season of Survivor will pit race vs. race. Each tribe will be composed of members of the same race. I just read it in the Ft. Worth Star Telegram.

What brainchild came up with that idea?

I usually watch Survivor; I won't this season.

Old 08-24-2006, 09:40 PM   #2
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:56 AM
like these stupid shows weren't moronic enough.

Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

I am so disappointed. I have not missed one season. I allow my daughter to watch the show because I think it is good for her to see women competing with men. I cannot let her watch this season, nor will I watch it.

What the hell are they thinking?
Old 08-24-2006, 10:07 PM   #4
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:56 PM
A terrible idea.

We have too many problems on this planet regarding race as it is, and these shameful, cowardly race baiters make me sick to my stomach.

Honestly, what message are they trying to send?

I have so much hatred for people who bait on race, because anyone who's that low believes that one race is superior to another.

It doesn't matter whether it's Al Sharpton or the KKK, they both send the same damn message.

And now we have a bunch of rats baiting race for the sake of ratings.

I hope the sleeping giants wake up on both sides of the aisle, or go back to bed before Survivor appears.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:12 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:56 PM
And you know the producers will edit it to show stereotypes. Bad idea, very bad
Old 08-24-2006, 10:23 PM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 06:56 PM
Maybe this thread should've been titled Survivor Producers Expose Themselves As Racists.
Old 08-24-2006, 10:40 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 10:56 PM

Old 08-24-2006, 11:25 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
For the first portion of the 13th season of "Survivor," which premieres Sept. 14, the contestants competing for the $1 million prize while stranded on the Cook Islands in the South Pacific will be divided into four teams — blacks, Asians, Latinos and whites.

Liu, who is Asian-American, said he was launching a campaign urging CBS to pull the show because it could encourage racial division and promote negative typecasts. He and a coalition of officials, including the council's black, Latino and Asian caucus, planned to rally at City Hall on Friday.

In a statement, CBS Entertainment, which is part of New York-based CBS Corp., defended the ethnic twist, saying it follows the show's tradition of introducing new creative elements and casting structures that reflect cultural and social issues.

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said. "'Survivor' is a program that is no stranger to controversy and has always answered its critics on the screen."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060825/...tv/survivor_19
Old 08-24-2006, 11:27 PM   #9
She's the One

Local Time: 02:56 PM
Once again, I'm so glad I don't watch very much TV.
Old 08-24-2006, 11:58 PM   #10
Refugee

Location: I live in colombia, with a box of watercolors and butterflies in my tummy
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
Once again, I'm so glad I don't watch very much TV.
I was thinking the same...
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

"CBS fully recognizes the controversial nature of this format but has full confidence in the producers and their ability to produce the program in a responsible manner," the statement said.

Yeah, sure.
Old 08-25-2006, 12:24 AM   #12
Refugee

Local Time: 09:26 AM
I don't see what the big deal is. If people aren't racist, and everyone believes we truely are equal, then what is the problem? Was the gender that lost the Woman vs Man survivor series ostracised from the community? If we believe man and woman are equal, and can have no problem with putting them against eachother, why can't we do so with race if we claim not to be racist?
Old 08-25-2006, 03:08 AM   #13
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 AM
This is actually a really smart piece of experiment, the baseline commonality of race will make the tribes much tighter and fiercer competitors; race pride is of course the lowest form of self-elevation (since you didn't do anything to earn it).
Old 08-25-2006, 08:14 AM   #14
Jesus Online

Local Time: 09:56 AM
commonality of race, you say? yeah, i see that. i gravitate toward white people. this causes problems when i have to visit my sister (as she's black, poor girl), but i do see what you mean. it was much like when i went out hunting for a husband and again gravitated toward white blokes because i knew that keeping our blood pure when we procreated would make our children that much fiercer and stronger.

i think this is your best post yet, a_w.
Old 08-25-2006, 08:53 AM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 08:56 AM
I think that you have completely misunderstood me, in terms of a situation when you pit people against eachother and there are distinguishing things that make opponents an "other", I think that will invariably make the competion different.

Competition is the premise of the game show, making it more divisive will make that competition fiercer. I never argued in favour of the fallacy that is "race purity" and am offended at the suggestion that I did.

Think of it more in terms of those experiments where they do prisoner/guard scenarios and basically create an Abu Ghraib only in this one your average people that make up groups start behaving completely out of line on race issues; the history of humanity is full of examples where racial groups have been in conflict and the results were truly dire and I don't think any society or any people are ever completely beyond it.