Next Season Of Survivor: Race vs. Race

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A_Wanderer said:
This is actually a really smart piece of experiment, the baseline commonality of race will make the tribes much tighter and fiercer competitors; race pride is of course the lowest form of self-elevation (since you didn't do anything to earn it).
I understand your argument, but I passionately disagree. Race has to be the touchiest subject of any, and also the most misunderstood.

Aren't we all "people of color?"

Unless of course a group of international scientists have gathered around and have ultimately decided that white is no longer a color.

For as many people here who say they won't watch this season of Survivor, I know just as many who will watch it for the first time or start watching it again. It's a ratings ploy and it will work, right wrong or otherwise.

i've never missed a single episode of survivor since the show began.

here's my thought.

if the people who are actually ON the show don't care about being divided into races, why should anyone else?

:shrug:

bonosgirl84 said:
here's my thought.

if the people who are actually ON the show don't care about being divided into races, why should anyone else?

:shrug:

How do you know they don't care?
And they are playing for $1 million dollars.
People will do all types of things for that amount of cash.

ntalwar said:

People will do all types of things for that amount of cash.

Then they shouldn't have a basis for complaint later on.

This sounds incredibly stupid to me, but then I don't watch the show either way.

Ahhh, watching liberals in a quandry, my favorite pass time.

Look, everyone knows there are differences between races, there are strengths and there are weaknesses. There's nothing inherently wrong with examining them; putting them up one against the other. It's your own damn arrogance that you believe people less intelligent than you (which is everyone that doesn't agree with you) will use the results of the show as an excuse to deport illegal immigrants, burn crosses, and uh, copy the asian kid's math test.

It's an interesting experiment, not even going to be going on for the majority of the show, is no different than pitting men vs women, and will not make this country or any country any more or less racist than it already is.

Unclench.

Snowlock said:
Look, everyone knows there are differences between races, there are strengths and there are weaknesses. There's nothing inherently wrong with examining them; putting them up one against the other.

This isn't examining any differences - 4 people of each race is statistically insignificant. It's a ratings ploy. There are also probably large variations among the contestants as well anyway. So it won't prove anything. The men vs. women thing is well established - do you watch women's sports?

ntalwar said:

This isn't examining any differences - 4 people of each race is statistically insignificant. It's a ratings ploy. There are also probably large variations among the contestants as well anyway. So it won't prove anything. The men vs. women thing is well established - do you watch women's sports?

I couldn't agree more. That's why I think this is all such a total over reaction.

Snowlock said:
Ahhh, watching liberals in a quandry, my favorite pass time...
It's your own damn arrogance that you believe people less intelligent than you (which is everyone that doesn't agree with you) will use the results of the show as an excuse to deport illegal immigrants, burn crosses, and uh, copy the asian kid's math test.

It's your own ridiculousness that makes you think that any of us are coming to that conclusion. All we're saying is that pitting race vs. race is a stupid idea, because it is sure to stir up feelings of race superiority. And what good can come of that?

And by the way, I'm someone who is probably much more conservative than you.

Well, I guess I'm going to be very much in the minority here.

First of all, I watch Survivor. Furthermore, I'm what you might call a fan of Survivor. I've watched every season since the first and I've enjoyed them all. I've even tried out for the show (gasp!), though obviously I didn't make it on. (And I'd add that most contestants on the show are like me--not looking to get rich on TV, but instead wanting to test themselves to see if they could do it, to see if they could be the "Sole Survivor." The arrogance towards the show, the fans, and the contestants I've come across on this topic is just breathtaking.)

So now that my "secret shame" is out there for all to see. . .

My thoughts on this new season. I'm really surprised that CBS has chosen this route. It's kind of insane really, and filled with all kinds of pitfalls, I predict.

However, I'm not nearly as stirred up with horror as most of the posters are here. Perhaps that has to do with my not looking down my nose at the show to begin with, I don't know.

I should point out here for those that don't already know, that I'm black.

To be honest, my first thought was, finally we'll have more than one or two "token" blacks on the show. And multiple Asians! We're lucky if we get one Asian every three years (In fact, Asians seem to be virutally invisible on TV today and I think that's a real shame). I've always disliked how the show was stacked with mostly white contestants and a few token minorities. I often wished there were more black contestants for example, not just to see people of color "represented" but also because I always felt that the token minority was at a disadvantage--already on the "outside" by virtue of race. I thought having several black contestants would change the dynamic of the show in interesting ways. I always sensed that the producers of Survivor (and of most TV shows-- reality or not) were afraid that too many people of color on a given program would make white viewers feel this was a "black" show, and thus not for them. So, my feelings about Survivor and race have never been exactly positive, even though I am a fan of the show.

I think it's kind of sad that this is what it takes to see more minorities on Survivor, and I too question the wisdom of pitting races against one another. Like most crazy decisions--like the soldier that runs straight into enemy fire--it's either really brave or really stupid. I for one prefer to see the show before making the judgement as to which it is.

I don't know. . .I have a lot of conflicting thoughts on this and I'm afraid to really pursue any of them since I'm not even sure I agree with me yet.

I know that I disagree with the contention that people will "band together for the shallow reason of race." In our country, I'm not sure that reason is so "shallow." There is often a lot more behind race than skin color. People share cultures, worldviews, heritage, and that factors in too. People who are in the minority often feel a sense of solidarity with those who are share that minority status, and there's nothing inherently shallow about that.
So I'm not going to have to see one black guy trying to fit in with a bunch of white folks this season.

I'd also suggest that racism is an uncomfortable subject, but I don't think that means it shouldn't be addressed. I read an undertone of fear in many of the posts on this thread--what if the show plays out our stereotypes and prejudices, what if the white team indeed does dominate? What does that say? What will it mean? Some would say, let's not even think about it, let's not even give an opportunity for that to happen. I say, bring it on. Let's tackle this shit. I don't think there are simple answers here. Let's get into it.

Now, if you despise reality tv then surely you will feel that this is the worst arena in which to deal with "serious issues" such as racism, but then perhaps that is more an issue of how "worthwhile" the arena of discussion is rather than the subject of racism itself.

Good points maycocksean - it'll bring more diversity to the show.

bonosgirl84 said:

um, because they didn't have guns to their heads maybe?

:huh:
They don't tell them anything in advance about it.
If one of the tasks was to kick their mothers in the shins, I'm sure they would do that too for a shot at a million bucks.

Last edited:
hero.jpg

Here they are.

I seriously doubt any contestant has ever been forced to do the show no matter how the tribes were set up.

ntalwar said:

so the guns are put to their heads after filming begins.

i see.

ntalwar said:
:If one of the tasks was to kick their mothers in the shins, I'm sure they would do that too for a shot at a million bucks.

you obviously don't watch the show. quite a few people have walked off the show for quite a few different reasons. the people on the show aren't rabid animals foaming at the mouth for money. they're just regular joes trying to catch a break.

i no longer care

honestly, if the intent is simply to divide people based on skin colour without any sort of cruel, underhanded intention, i don't see the problem.

society doesn't know real racism if it bit it in the balls and ass with teeth from a t-rex.

people get excited about this, but when the real shit goes down in the us (or canada, whatever country) people forgive it/dismiss it as unfortunate circumstance.

if you truly believe we are all the same, which i do believe you all do, then what the fuck difference does it make how they divide contestants in a bloody stupid reality show?

what if they were to divide people based on hair-colour? iq? height? weight?

if colour doesn't matter, like we always say, then this doesn't matter either.

are you scared of what the results might be?

again, it is beyond comical to see the public's reaction to something like this when popculture does something somewhat out of left-field (by their standards), but turns a blind eye/refuses to educate themselves on the real racism that takes place in their own communities.

80sU2isBest said:

It's your own ridiculousness that makes you think that any of us are coming to that conclusion. All we're saying is that pitting race vs. race is a stupid idea, because it is sure to stir up feelings of race superiority. And what good can come of that?

And by the way, I'm someone who is probably much more conservative than you.

Because only you are superior enough in intellect to be able to descern this is just a TV show stunt done for ratings. Everyone else is going to take this as a scientific experiment with rock hard results forever proving that whites, or blacks, or asians or hispanics are by far the superior race. Racism will exploded. People will be fighting in the streets. The unemployment rate for the race which does the poorest is going to skyrocket. LA will be in flames with race rioting. Hispanic and Asian children are going to go to separate schools. It's going to be nuts.

Or the majority of the public is going to go, "huh? that was semi intresting... Isn't CSI on next?"

Snowlock said:

Because only you are superior enough in intellect to be able to descern this is just a TV show stunt done for ratings. Everyone else is going to take this as a scientific experiment with rock hard results forever proving that whites, or blacks, or asians or hispanics are by far the superior race. Racism will exploded. People will be fighting in the streets. The unemployment rate for the race which does the poorest is going to skyrocket. LA will be in flames with race rioting. Hispanic and Asian children are going to go to separate schools. It's going to be nuts.

Again, no one here thinks that any of that will be the result, so your sarcasm is misdirected.

Macfistowannabe said:

Unless of course a group of international scientists have gathered around and have ultimately decided that white is no longer a color.

White is technically the absence of color.

AussieU2fanman said:
I don't see what the big deal is. If people aren't racist, and everyone believes we truely are equal, then what is the problem? Was the gender that lost the Woman vs Man survivor series ostracised from the community? If we believe man and woman are equal, and can have no problem with putting them against eachother, why can't we do so with race if we claim not to be racist?

When we watch other seasons of 'Survivor' there is no assumption the teams are equal.

We may believe all races are equal, but I don't believe all teams will be equal.

Place a team of white athletes against white non-athletes... who would win a game of basketball? Now what if it was black athletes verses white non-athletes, but it was hyped as a game against races and not athletes vs. non-athletes.

So anyone can see where there are problems with this type of show.

ntalwar said:
Good points maycocksean - it'll bring more diversity to the show.

Thanks. I think you missed one of my other points though, judging from your quote below

ntalwar said:

If one of the tasks was to kick their mothers in the shins, I'm sure they would do that too for a shot at a million bucks.

I'd guess that most Survivor contestants aren't really in it for the money. I know when I tried out, that wasn't paramount in my mind. Nor was becoming a "reality show star" which holds no interest for me at all. What I wanted to know if I could do it. If I could play the game and be successful. I wouldn't have kicked my mother in the shins, and I can't think of too many contestants who would have either (Granted, there was that guy Johnny "Fairplay").

Anyway, the picture of the cast was refreshing. A lot more color there. Again, the whole thing is pretty risky and it's going to work out fine, or it's going to be a train wreck. That scenario would most likely happen if one race got beat really bad. I personally think the producers will do all in their power to prevent such a scenario of playing out short of outright rigging the game. I do believe the producers try to manipulate the game as much as they can to get it to go in a certain way--I don't think the "whole thing's rigged" like some people do-- but they do mess with it a little, I think. The producers have a vested interest in the outcome of this show too, and I'm pretty certain that interest does not include verifying racial stereotypes.

maycocksean said:

I'd guess that most Survivor contestants aren't really in it for the money.
The producers have a vested interest in the outcome of this show too, and I'm pretty certain that interest does not include verifying racial stereotypes.

The winner of Season 1 was convicted of tax evasion and accused of using the money from his charity for personal use.
So, I would beg to differ on the financial motivation.

I think they(CBS) are already using stereotypes.
One stereotype is having a Hispanic team. Hispanic is not a race.
Another stereotype is for the Asian team, which seems to be people of East Asian descent and not South, West, or North Asian.

Back
Top Bottom