News from the 14th International AIDS Conference - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-09-2002, 08:37 PM   #16
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:44 AM
got the PM

Will post a letter here tonight. PLEASE all angels...cut, paste and SEND!

SD

Old 07-11-2002, 01:03 PM   #17
Refugee

Local Time: 11:44 PM
Will do Sherry!

I just have to say it pissed me off that now that the U.N has made their "official" report. The AIDS emergency ( specifically in 3rd world countries) is now getting the attention it needs. So maybe more will happen in terms of getting the assistance and the drugs.

It just makes me mad that this "report" came out AFTER the G8 meetings.

Does anyway else feel this way?

Old 07-13-2002, 04:55 PM   #18
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:44 AM
Thanks Oktobergirl!

Just an update: I'm feeling the need to do a bit more research on Bristol Myers, the company Hotpepper recommending writing, before we pat them on the backs. Will report back.

SD
Old 07-14-2002, 08:08 PM   #19
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 07:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon
Unfortunately, I cannot say that there is much hope for those already with AIDS. The reality is that we have never cured a virus, let alone AIDS, which is remarkably versatile. It all stems from the reality that viruses are very small, often hiding in crevices too small for drug molecules to enter. The brain is also a problem, as drugs often cannot break through the blood-brain barrier.

Vaccines, indeed, are our only hope, and, from what I've heard, there is a promising vaccine in testing currently. I certainly hope and believe that we can, indeed, conquer this, just as we conquered smallpox.

Melon
I'm no disease expert, but I remember studying AIDS research when I was an allied health student since I thought I wanted to become a research assistant (I hit a big time stress obstacle on the way). This is the most difficult virus treatment ever attempted, much harder than polio, let alone smallpox. Getting a vaccine for this virus is going to much tougher than getting a polio vaccine was and it took Jonas Salk 17 years to develop the polio vaccine. Salk was involved in early AIDS research. He said that the AIDS virus was going to be much tougher to develop because the HIV virus multiplies faster and is much more complicated than the polio virus. While we desparately need an AIDS vaccine to stop this horrid thing from spreading all over the place, we need to help the people who are already infected. If we can stop the disease process in many of these people there's no alternative to this. There's no telling when we'll have a vaccine that works all the time since this blasted virus is so versatile and resistant to many agents. Honestly, this thing's a monster.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:16 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by oktobergirl
Will do Sherry!

I just have to say it pissed me off that now that the U.N has made their "official" report. The AIDS emergency ( specifically in 3rd world countries) is now getting the attention it needs. So maybe more will happen in terms of getting the assistance and the drugs.

It just makes me mad that this "report" came out AFTER the G8 meetings.

Does anyway else feel this way?

Yes. There are already too many AIDS cases. Of course you could say that one case ofo AIDS is one too many. But the fact of the matter is that a whole generation is going to be wiped out in Africa, and it's only getting worse. This disease is fatal, folks. As it's been pointed out sometimes viruses are too small for drug molecules to catch, so if the person is already infected, tough cookies. And they're not doing anything, they're just letting the damn thing spread all over. The G8 people can just say they didn't know any of the information in the report. The number of cases is already out of control, and without the proper education and sterilization procedures and all of the other things they need to do...........it's inexcusable.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:23 PM   #21
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by hotpepper

That would be great if you'd write a form letter! I'm starting some research right now - getting addresses and company info.

Preliminary research on Bristol-Myers Squibb Co. shows that in 2001 they committed $115 million "to find sustainable and relevant solutions for the management of HIV/AIDS in women and children, and provide resources to improve community education and patient support." Looks like they've (and probably the other drug companies at the conference) already got the right idea so maybe the focus of the letter should be acknowledging their efforts so far but encouraging more $$$ and perhaps resources. It looks like they are already partnered with good groups too. They are already working with UNAIDS and others.

Love your new sig

Addresses please????? We need to encourage this.