New York Times should be ashamed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouizy

Rock n' Roll Doggie
I have been following the war at about 70% of my war following capacity. Some of the underlying themes I have picked up (especially from Fox News, especially from Bill O'Reilly) is how the liberal newspapers are putting a bad spin on the war.

At lunch I typically read:

The New York Times
The New York Post
The Daily News (NY)
The LA TImes
The Washington Post
USA Today

and assorted other news sites.

I am beginning to believe (as much of a liberal as I actually am) that the New York Times really is doing itself a disservice in the way it is covering the war.

Yes, the paper is covering relevant stories, but rather than being uber-patriotic (as some think all papers should be during a war), they are simply telling stories in a neutral or negative stance.

"US forces fought at XX river with some resistance and then moved on to the next designated site"

vs.

"US forces bravely fought against remaining Iraqi forces, while some were injured and some heroically died, the troops mustered on to its next destination on its route to victory."

That is a bit exaggerated, but just take a look and see what news they are reporting and how they report it.

95% of all online news sites are reporting today on their front page how young PFC Jessica Lynch upon being ambushed in Iraq, fought for her life until her magazine was empty. Two broken legs, a broken arm, gunshot wounds, and a knife stab later, she was rescued by SEALS, Rangers, and Air Force crewmen in a late night extraction. The 19 year old girl fought while she saw her commrades get killed. The 19 year old was kept in a hospital in Iraq that was full of ammunition, maps, and even terrain models to be used by the Iraqi command against the forces there to liberate them from their dictator leader.

She was alone during all this.

Although the Times has this story on the front page of the print version of their paper, what they show on their online edition is the story of a young Iraqi soldier.

The liberal beliefs of the paper is getting in the way of its reporting.

This is nothing new, check out the correction section in the paper and see what else they have made up.

Go a step further and check out www.smartertimes.com and see what else this paper has lied about, made up, or simply gotten incorrect with their lack of fact-checking.

I am slowly moving over to the right (even though I think Bush is a horse's ass.)

I hate uber-patriotism. God forbid the NYT not sound like every other media agitprop in this nation. I'm sure John Ashcroft will unleash carniwhore and have the NYT declared a terrorist organization. :sexywink:

I've actually been reading the WSJ lately. "Adventures in Capitalism" indeed.

Melon

I do not think uber-patirotism is acceptable either, nor do I think uber-melonism is, but I have to say there is a pattern to which the Times reports news and this was pointed out to me well before the war began.

ouizy said:
, -

nor do I think uber-melonism is, -

there is a pattern to which the Times reports news and this was pointed out to me well before the war began.
Ouizy-
1.You are not a sell out for posting this.

2- You showed clear headed objectivity.Good job.:up:

3-Melon will get passed this.:)

4-Why cant the Knicks play basketball anymore?:angry:

thank u-

diamond
bruno.
:dance:

I always thought what are people reading to get this liberal slant? What am I missing? All the news reports I read and hear are very establishment.

I am currently reading Eric Alterman's What Liberal Media - The Truth About Bias and the News and the most relevant point to this thread is that as opposed to the 11 daily newspapers that serve London most major American cities only have one daily paper - which in turn is owned by one of 6 companies [from over 50 in 1983] who all report to the bottom line - PROFIT.

liberal media? free press? Not now... not in America

I don't know the need for somehow demonizing me. I think this thread is ridiculous; what we are saying, essentially, is that the Times is bad for *not* deluding us with propagandistic tripe.

FYI: "US forces bravely fought against remaining Iraqi forces, while some were injured and some heroically died, the troops mustered on to its next destination on its route to victory." -- this is *not* news! This is a novel. And what I'm reading here is that the Times is *bad* for *not* doing this? :blahblah: Well, you can't please anyone.

But I grew tired of the Times after reading it nearly every day at MSU. I only find it ironic that I'm enjoying the "Wall Street Journal" of all papers. Reading about corporate America seems oddly refreshing...

Melon

I don't know the need for somehow demonizing me.

ouizy not demonizing, ouizy kidding.

4-Why cant the Knicks play basketball anymore?

please do not get me started. I will not watch another Knicks game until that organization dissintigrates and starts over. I can no longer stand any of them. I am going on a 2 year Knick hiatus.

Diamond:

I need your selection of the three best restaurants in Scottsdale or Phoenix...

I think the LAST thing this country needs is more pro-war, pro-Bush propaganda. I'm not saying we need to be knee-jerk anti-war, anti-Bush, either. But I'm with Melon: we need plainspoken, neutral journalism that respects the readers' ability to analyze the facts and make up their own minds.

And if I hear one more person say that we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President, I will scream.

:blahblah:

paxetaurora said:
I think the LAST thing this country needs is more pro-war, pro-Bush propaganda. I'm not saying we need to be knee-jerk anti-war, anti-Bush, either. But I'm with Melon: we need plainspoken, neutral journalism that respects the readers' ability to analyze the facts and make up their own minds.

And if I hear one more person say that we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President, I will scream.

:blahblah:

:up:

ouizy said:
we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH :scream: ;)

I agree with Melon on this one (not that anyone would care what I think), but I'd rather read something more straight foward and less objective, than something that looks like it came from a romance novel.

I refuse to rally around John Ashcroft, Dick Cheney, and numerous other members of this administration. I'm not into bashing GDB, but he is the leader of this pack. Just want to say, I don't even read my local paper and when I subscribed to The Wall St. Journal :up: someone stole my first couple of delivered copies. (Apt. complex) I cancled it. In any case it really doesn't matter what paper I read, I still have to read between the lines.
Spin is alive and well... it makes me :laugh: at how they talk about the liberal media.. It has been mastered.

Last edited:
i think alot of AntiSaddam Iraqi citizens will take issue w the ppl who did not support their eventual liberation.
I will rally w the troops and President Bush.

Peace
thru Strength.

diamond

You'll love Ashcroft even more when you realize he's probably reading your diary, just to make sure you're not in Al-Qaeda.

paxetaurora said:
You'll love Ashcroft even more when you realize he's probably reading your diary, just to make sure you're not in Al-Qaeda.
When did John Ascroft and Brother Cheny become Administrators at Interference.Com?:angry:

thank you-
diamond
:dance:

Ah for God's sake, everyone should read between the lines all of the time. Read lots of different sources and take it with a grain of salt. Skip the TV coverage altogether, as someone pithily said, it tells you nothing and tells it to you every ten minutes.

Zedbetty said:
Ah for God's sake, everyone should read between the lines all of the time. Read lots of different sources and take it with a grain of salt. Skip the TV coverage altogether, as someone pithily said, it tells you nothing and tells it to you every ten minutes.

Exactly! No TV station or newspaper - no matter how good it is - can do the thinking for us. We have to use our own brain (which shouldn't be flushed with propaganda - no matter from which side)
Think yourself!
Klaus

At least the NYT pretends to be unbiased. I was watching the local news here in NYC about "our brave troops and their heroic efforts" and wanted to vomit. They are a disgrace to the journalism profession.

As for WSJ, I work on their web site so thanks for the endorsement melon. It does have good war and business coverage but I would recommend ripping the editorial page out before you read it.

Read WSJ and NYT and you should be able to piece together a good view from both sides.

read all thenespapers, and you may discern some truth somewhere.

follow ouizy to the promised land however and you will be met with 71 virgins and unlimited vanilla pudding.

(I think the drugs are kicking in right about now...)

Do you also have strawberry pudding?

Oh, is it also possible to have 72 virgins?

C ya!

Marty (thinking about following the Cult Of Ouizy)

Back
Top Bottom