New York Times should be ashamed... - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-03-2003, 01:46 PM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 04:12 PM
New York Times should be ashamed...

I have been following the war at about 70% of my war following capacity. Some of the underlying themes I have picked up (especially from Fox News, especially from Bill O'Reilly) is how the liberal newspapers are putting a bad spin on the war.

At lunch I typically read:

The New York Times
The New York Post
The Daily News (NY)
The LA TImes
The Washington Post
USA Today

and assorted other news sites.

I am beginning to believe (as much of a liberal as I actually am) that the New York Times really is doing itself a disservice in the way it is covering the war.

Yes, the paper is covering relevant stories, but rather than being uber-patriotic (as some think all papers should be during a war), they are simply telling stories in a neutral or negative stance.

"US forces fought at XX river with some resistance and then moved on to the next designated site"

vs.

"US forces bravely fought against remaining Iraqi forces, while some were injured and some heroically died, the troops mustered on to its next destination on its route to victory."

That is a bit exaggerated, but just take a look and see what news they are reporting and how they report it.

95% of all online news sites are reporting today on their front page how young PFC Jessica Lynch upon being ambushed in Iraq, fought for her life until her magazine was empty. Two broken legs, a broken arm, gunshot wounds, and a knife stab later, she was rescued by SEALS, Rangers, and Air Force crewmen in a late night extraction. The 19 year old girl fought while she saw her commrades get killed. The 19 year old was kept in a hospital in Iraq that was full of ammunition, maps, and even terrain models to be used by the Iraqi command against the forces there to liberate them from their dictator leader.

She was alone during all this.

Although the Times has this story on the front page of the print version of their paper, what they show on their online edition is the story of a young Iraqi soldier.

The liberal beliefs of the paper is getting in the way of its reporting.

This is nothing new, check out the correction section in the paper and see what else they have made up.

Go a step further and check out www.smartertimes.com and see what else this paper has lied about, made up, or simply gotten incorrect with their lack of fact-checking.

I am slowly moving over to the right (even though I think Bush is a horse's ass.)

Old 04-03-2003, 02:49 PM   #2
ONE
love, blood, life

I hate uber-patriotism. God forbid the NYT not sound like every other media agitprop in this nation. I'm sure John Ashcroft will unleash carniwhore and have the NYT declared a terrorist organization.

I've actually been reading the WSJ lately. "Adventures in Capitalism" indeed.

Melon

Old 04-03-2003, 03:27 PM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I do not think uber-patirotism is acceptable either, nor do I think uber-melonism is, but I have to say there is a pattern to which the Times reports news and this was pointed out to me well before the war began.
Old 04-03-2003, 03:45 PM   #4
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
, -

nor do I think uber-melonism is, -

there is a pattern to which the Times reports news and this was pointed out to me well before the war began.
Ouizy-
1.You are not a sell out for posting this.

2- You showed clear headed objectivity.Good job.

3-Melon will get passed this.

4-Why cant the Knicks play basketball anymore?

thank u-

diamond
bruno.
Old 04-03-2003, 04:00 PM   #5
Refugee

Location: on a one of these small green spots at that blue planet at the end of the milky way
Local Time: 10:12 PM
ouizy:
You could read some non US/GB papers and then you might get to the same result as i do - the NY times tries to stay neutral there's no reason of being ashamed if you stay neutral and don't glorify a war.

Klaus
Old 04-03-2003, 04:11 PM   #6
War Child

Local Time: 05:12 PM
I always thought what are people reading to get this liberal slant? What am I missing? All the news reports I read and hear are very establishment.

I am currently reading Eric Alterman's What Liberal Media - The Truth About Bias and the News and the most relevant point to this thread is that as opposed to the 11 daily newspapers that serve London most major American cities only have one daily paper - which in turn is owned by one of 6 companies [from over 50 in 1983] who all report to the bottom line - PROFIT.

liberal media? free press? Not now... not in America
Old 04-03-2003, 04:36 PM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

I don't know the need for somehow demonizing me. I think this thread is ridiculous; what we are saying, essentially, is that the Times is bad for *not* deluding us with propagandistic tripe.

FYI: "US forces bravely fought against remaining Iraqi forces, while some were injured and some heroically died, the troops mustered on to its next destination on its route to victory." -- this is *not* news! This is a novel. And what I'm reading here is that the Times is *bad* for *not* doing this? Well, you can't please anyone.

But I grew tired of the Times after reading it nearly every day at MSU. I only find it ironic that I'm enjoying the "Wall Street Journal" of all papers. Reading about corporate America seems oddly refreshing...

Melon
Old 04-03-2003, 04:58 PM   #8
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
I don't know the need for somehow demonizing me.
ouizy not demonizing, ouizy kidding.

Quote:
4-Why cant the Knicks play basketball anymore?
please do not get me started. I will not watch another Knicks game until that organization dissintigrates and starts over. I can no longer stand any of them. I am going on a 2 year Knick hiatus.

Diamond:

I need your selection of the three best restaurants in Scottsdale or Phoenix...
Old 04-03-2003, 05:02 PM   #9
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

I think the LAST thing this country needs is more pro-war, pro-Bush propaganda. I'm not saying we need to be knee-jerk anti-war, anti-Bush, either. But I'm with Melon: we need plainspoken, neutral journalism that respects the readers' ability to analyze the facts and make up their own minds.

And if I hear one more person say that we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President, I will scream.

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #10
New Yorker

Quote:
Originally posted by paxetaurora
I think the LAST thing this country needs is more pro-war, pro-Bush propaganda. I'm not saying we need to be knee-jerk anti-war, anti-Bush, either. But I'm with Melon: we need plainspoken, neutral journalism that respects the readers' ability to analyze the facts and make up their own minds.

And if I hear one more person say that we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President, I will scream.

Old 04-03-2003, 05:28 PM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie

we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President

heh heh he
Old 04-03-2003, 05:44 PM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Location: Born under a bad sign with a blue moon in your eyes
Quote:
Originally posted by ouizy
we need to put aside our differences and rally 'round the President

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

I agree with Melon on this one (not that anyone would care what I think), but I'd rather read something more straight foward and less objective, than something that looks like it came from a romance novel.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:50 PM   #13
pax
ONE
love, blood, life

::screams::

Join Amnesty.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:53 PM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:12 PM
We need more uber-ouizyism
Old 04-03-2003, 06:03 PM   #15