New York City Transit Strike - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 12-20-2005, 04:10 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 05:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by DrTeeth

How can you be held in contempt of court for striking? Did they fail to follow a court order or something?
Well in NYC, it's illegal to strike for any unions under the Taylor Law.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #17
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:52 AM

That explains it a little but I still don''t understand the contempt of court ruling.

Old 12-20-2005, 04:13 PM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 04:52 AM
you can't strike like that in nyc, dr teeth
Old 12-20-2005, 04:17 PM   #19
Refugee

Well I have no clue either Dr. Teeth but I may have an idea...

Quote:
Civil contempt occurs when the contemnor willfully disobeys a court order. This is also called indirect contempt because it occurs outside the judge's immediate realm and evidence must be presented to the judge to prove the contempt.
So perhaps in that case, even though it's illegal to strike under the Taylor Law, and the fact that the union striked anyway (after the court issued an injunction prohibiting them to strike) without any regard for the law, it makes them in contempt.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:19 PM   #20
Blue Crack Distributor

there were court orders issued baring the local 100 from striking... thus why they were held in contempt.

the TWU international... the headquarters for all transit unions... just issued a statement condeming the local 100 and ordering all transit workers back to work immediately.

seeing as the local union already knew that the international didn't give permission for the strike to begin with, who knows wether or not they'll actually go back.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:26 PM   #21
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
TWU (International) hereby notifies all members of Local 100 of their obligation under the December 13, 2005 preliminary injunctions and the December 20, 2005 temporary restraining orders issued by the New York Supreme Court to cease any and all strike or strike-related activities and to report to work at their regularly assigned work hours and work locations.
--TWU International President Michael T. O'Brien
Old 12-20-2005, 06:14 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

First off, yes, it is illegal for them to strike, so I understand any contempt of court fines that the union receives.

I also understand any fury that regular NYC commuters have. If I had moved to NYC as I earlier wanted to, I would have probably lived in Brooklyn, and commuting into the city would have been a bitch.

In the larger scheme of things, I'm partly intrigued over the uproar. The most common argument I've heard is that they're already paid too much and they already have great benefits compared to everyone else, so why are they bitching? The question I ask is why WE aren't doing anything to stop the erosion of our wages, the weakening of our health benefits, and the decreasing certainty of our retirement funds. Instead of striking ourselves, we just sit back and let our companies rape us year in and year out. If we had taken a stand 25 years ago, we'd have salaries and benefits as generous as theirs.

Melon
Old 12-20-2005, 08:10 PM   #23
Refugee

Local Time: 09:52 AM

Well the government has been complaining about people not getting enough exercise..............look at it in a positive way.

Old 12-20-2005, 09:51 PM   #24
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 AM
They are overpaid?

The TWU members are 17% higher paid then the national average, though NY's cost of living is 94% higher. Overpaid I think not.

The problem, like melon said, is that not enough of the workforce has the balls to walk off the job, they dont have the commitment and solidarity to stand up for what they believe in. The taylor law you refer to, I suppose it is a law prohibiting union workers to strike because they are considered 'essential services'. Well what do they do now? They are at an impass. They must take action!

To be honest I dont feel sorry for the people of NY. You change what is happening by calling your politcians and telling them to reach a settlement. Look into what the union is looking for and compare it with other services. These men and women work in the worlds largest transit org. they deserve to be the best paid, like someone said they move 7.5 mill NYers a day!
Old 12-20-2005, 10:01 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

"has the balls to walk off the job"

okay. what about all the hourly workers in new york making far less than them struggling to make ends meet, who cannot get to work? not exactly very considerate of the TWU is it? just so they can retire at age 55. maybe all the hourly workers should just go on strike, I'm sure that would get them far. maybe we should all go on strike!

sorry, I understand the purpose of unions and strikes, but this is inconsiderate and I do feel sorry for the New Yorkers who can't get to their jobs. I think you have the impression that the transit workers are just bottom of the barrel, and everyone else is walking through manhattan in fancy shoes, but that's not the case.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:12 AM   #26
Refugee

Local Time: 02:52 AM
No, thats not the case.

Thats why in a democracy you have the right to organize. It can be done by any sector of the workforce. You just have to have the will. You think the 34000 workers are happy that they are now not getting paid or their families are happy, NO! Strikes hurt everyone and you shouldnt go on strike at the drop of a hat or your barginning power will be reduced.

But when the governer and mayor have given the teachers retirement ages of 55 and other public sector workers many of the same benefits the TWU is looking for only because they were in election years you can understand how the TWU must feel.

I urge you to read up on this strike, as I have been doing for the last hour. There is much more to this then just money and retirement age.
Old 12-21-2005, 01:21 AM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

well actually it seems that they already have a retirement age of 55 and according the the post on the first page, that seems to have been agreed upon.

i will read more. however the fact that people with relatively secure, well-paid jobs are shutting down the city in time for christmas...I can see how people are angry.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:14 AM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Oh, sometimes I think it is good for the working people of America to flex their muscles. Just a friendly little reminder that it is the working people in the nonglamor jobs that make this country run.
Transit strike, garbage strike, nursing strike. These are the people everybody ignores and these are the strikes that bring us to our knees. We take a lot for granted.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:17 AM   #29
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 10:52 AM
Maybe not checking for valid tickets and let people use the subway for free would be a more friendly protest ( and would cost the company also a lot of money )
Old 12-21-2005, 02:30 AM   #30
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:52 PM
We need cybernetic robot workers