New Yale Study On "Weight-ism" - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram

There are 9 supreme court justices. Each hires 3 clerks. This particular one is known for working his 80+ hrs a week.

Nevertheless it's the most prestigious post-law school job you can get and there are literally hundreds of people who would happily cycle 20 miles a day for it. Is there any wonder when some firms will give you a $50K+ bonus just for landing one of these spots?
That does not sound like a route to career satisfaction, to me.

Too much asskissing, frankly.

And heavens, if he hasn't learned how to delegate by the time he reaches the supreme court, he must be lacking in something.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:49 PM   #32
Jesus Online

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Nigella Lawson is supremely sexy. Not sure if it's her voice or her slightly "messy/casual" but overall sense of classiness. And I don't give a rat's arse about her boney hands. She works with them - they be working woman hands.

On other things in this thread, I side with irvine on the opinion that a little bit of mess is a good thing. My fault is that I associate excessive fitness or obssession with looks and appearance as utter vanity, and vanity is one hell of a huge turn off for me. I cannot stomach the company of anyone who gives more than a cursory check of themselves to make sure they are neat and clean. I don't like a slob, and would rather someone who appreciates general good health, but that to me does not require a dedicated time frame each day. It's a bigger bias than I can probably admit to, but I think people who are that self obssessed must primp and preen in front of a mirror and are probably the kind (of male) to wear pink shirts. Don't start me on men wearing pink (a'la the metro type). I'd rather a blue singlet and footy shorts if it came down to it. I wish it were not so, but it is.

..I mean this in terms of view of men much more than with women, by the way. My Man-Gym stereotype is awful, lol.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:59 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:31 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Angela Harlem
Nigella Lawson is supremely sexy. Not sure if it's her voice or her slightly "messy/casual" but overall sense of classiness. And I don't give a rat's arse about her boney hands. She works with them - they be working woman hands.

I was not familiar

with this person

(google search)

how does she correlate to a "fatty" ?

Old 04-05-2008, 12:02 AM   #34
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 03:31 PM
Quote:
Nigella Lawson is supremely sexy.
I agree, and I know many others who do, as well. She's been criticized about recent weight gain, though.
Quote:
Is Nigella getting to be an even bigger star as the weeks go by?
By CLEMMIE MOODIE 24th October 2007

She has always been the most generous of cooks, indulging in dollops of cream, lashings of butter and sploshes of wine.

But it seems Nigella Lawson's largesse may have left her just that little bit larger.

Fans of the 47-year-old Domestic Goddess have suggested she is expanding faster than her recipe repertoire in the TV series Nigella Express.
Link

Old 04-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #35
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 09:31 PM
Curvy has nothing to do with overweight; not sure why that's even being brought up. That's usually used to refer to women who are on the heavier end of 'slender' and are lucky enough to have genes that cause their body fat to be distributed in the 'hourglass' shape. Other women of the same height and weight wouldn't have that shape at all nor be capable of achieving it.

The Yale study is available online here. Overall, the presence of "weight/height discrimination" was reported at 5% for men and 10% for women. Problematically, the survey they drew their data from didn't distinguish between the two--i.e., height discrimination and weight discrimination--though it did ask respondents to classify themselves as "normal weight," "overweight," "moderately obese," or "severely obese" ("underweight" wasn't an option), allowing for somewhat more informed guesses as to which form of discrimination individual respondents had in mind. A couple other problems with the design: white people were strongly overrespresented among the respondents, and it wasn't clear to me from a quick skim if or how they adjusted for that; also, the study considers only self-reported discrimination, i.e., it reflects only the respondents' own perceptions as to whether discrimination of whichever type was the reason they didn't get hired/promoted/etc. in some particular case (which isn't a "problem" really, just a built-in shortcoming to be aware of).

Anhow, I don't doubt the broad general conclusions of the study; my main question would be, what's the best way to go about addressing something like this? The original post article mentions that Michigan is the only state whose employment discrimination laws (which are explained here) include 'weight' as a protected category; it sounds like weight discrimination would be very difficult to prove, though.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 04-05-2008, 07:53 AM   #36
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

That does not sound like a route to career satisfaction, to me.

Too much asskissing, frankly.

And heavens, if he hasn't learned how to delegate by the time he reaches the supreme court, he must be lacking in something.

Former law clerk for Justice Thomas.

Guys, I'm seeing a lot of posturing by males here trying to look like they are ultimate fair judges of weight, women and the character of their souls etc.

Look we don't see a lot of chunky gals on the covesr of FM, Men's magazines or even Cosmo.

Don't come back "with erm Diamond, they're are Lane Bryant BBW catalogs with beautiful plus size corpulent women on their covers or pages weak a*s take" with me. We're talking about the majority of the mindset.

Women have it the hardest who are overweight, paticularily non white women, I think this is one reason why a portion of women are drawn to Oprah.

Overweight white guys have it easier, and skinny white guys have it the best-when you we're talking aout 1st impressions.

Now after a skinny person or fat person opens their mouth you have 30 seconds to get a person to warm up to you or start subconsciously pulling a way.

Skinny people have a head start.

dbs
Old 04-05-2008, 08:45 AM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

You only give people 30 seconds?
Old 04-05-2008, 10:40 AM   #38
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Curvy has nothing to do with overweight; not sure why that's even being brought up.
I don't understand this either - it's as if some people here think that if you're hitting the gym you either look like the scary body building women or you look as flat as a 2x4.

I do agree that in the professional sphere, overweight women tend to be seen as "sloppy" moreso than overweight men. It is almost acceptable that when a man gets to a certain age, he'll get a beer belly and it isn't necessarily seen as a negative thing. But an equivalently fat woman will get a few second looks coming her way.

A very good friend of mine who is quite overweight (I'd say maybe 75+ lbs to lose) decided at New Year's that he wanted to lose the bulk of it because he felt it negatively impacted him in interviews. He had no direct evidence, but felt like it nonetheless. The hard thing was getting started at the gym because he really felt awkward in the beginning, wondering if he was being judged while working around super fit athletes. I think this is an incorrect impression, but I can see how one could feel that way. In any case, he's lost about 20 lbs so far and he had an interview last week in which he was asked what his greatest personal accomplishment was and he said, getting back into shape and feeling better about myself. That triggered a long, personal discussion with the interviewers who were both avid runners. He said he definitely got the impression that they saw him differently and were very positive when discussing things like dedication and discipline. So that's just some anecdotal evidence of how weight may come into play.
Old 04-05-2008, 11:01 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Most people do; I'm giving you a lifetime to impress me.

dbs
Old 04-05-2008, 02:30 PM   #40
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
[B]Nigella Lawson is supremely sexy. Not sure if it's her voice or her slightly "messy/casual" but overall sense of classiness.

yes, yes she is.

[q]and are probably the kind (of male) to wear pink shirts. Don't start me on men wearing pink (a'la the metro type). I'd rather a blue singlet and footy shorts if it came down to it. I wish it were not so, but it is.[/q]

i'll have you know my pink shirt looks fabulous.

*snap*
Old 04-05-2008, 02:45 PM   #41
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

Now after a skinny person or fat person opens their mouth you have 30 seconds to get a person to warm up to you or start subconsciously pulling a way.

dbs
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Judgments about people are made a lot more quickly than 30 seconds. I believe that the general figure I've heard is 4 seconds. Of course, after this 4 seconds passes, if we interact with this person, we are then given information that will confirm or refute our initial impressions. But, if it's a superficial situation where we really have little reason to delve deeper to get to know the person, we'll often look for information that will confirm our initial impression, due to the innate confirmatory bias that we all possess.
Old 04-05-2008, 02:53 PM   #42
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by yolland
Curvy has nothing to do with overweight; not sure why that's even being brought up. That's usually used to refer to women who are on the heavier end of 'slender' and are lucky enough to have genes that cause their body fat to be distributed in the 'hourglass' shape. Other women of the same height and weight wouldn't have that shape at all nor be capable of achieving it.

I was thinking of that when looking at pictures of Nigella last night, how fortunate it is for her that (with the exception of the past several months), she seems to be perfectly proportioned.

Quote:
The Yale study is available online here. Overall, the presence of "weight/height discrimination" was reported at 5% for men and 10% for women. Problematically, the survey they drew their data from didn't distinguish between the two--i.e., height discrimination and weight discrimination--though it did ask respondents to classify themselves as "normal weight," "overweight," "moderately obese," or "severely obese" ("underweight" wasn't an option), allowing for somewhat more informed guesses as to which form of discrimination individual respondents had in mind. A couple other problems with the design: white people were strongly overrespresented among the respondents, and it wasn't clear to me from a quick skim if or how they adjusted for that; also, the study considers only self-reported discrimination, i.e., it reflects only the respondents' own perceptions as to whether discrimination of whichever type was the reason they didn't get hired/promoted/etc. in some particular case (which isn't a "problem" really, just a built-in shortcoming to be aware of).
You're right, that is a very poorly designed study, and all it really informs about are the participants' self-perceptions. I haven't looked at it, but I wonder from reading what you've posted if, when placing themselves into a category, the participants were given guidelines to follow (height-weight charts or BMI), or if it they simply placed themselves where they felt was appropriate.
Old 04-05-2008, 03:22 PM   #43
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

Judgments about people are made a lot more quickly than 30 seconds. I believe that the general figure I've heard is 4 seconds. Of course, after this 4 seconds passes, if we interact with this person, we are then given information that will confirm or refute our initial impressions. But, if it's a superficial situation where we really have little reason to delve deeper to get to know the person, we'll often look for information that will confirm our initial impression, due to the innate confirmatory bias that we all possess.
i was sure it was shorter than 30 seconds, but didn't want to sound so calloused.

i think once you start chatting points start going up or down.

dbs
Old 04-05-2008, 03:25 PM   #44
Blue Crack Distributor

Quote:
Originally posted by diamond

i was sure it was shorter than 30 seconds, but didn't want to sound so calloused.

i think once you start chatting points start going up or down.

dbs
For once, psychology backs you up, Diamond.
Old 04-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #45
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by VintagePunk

I was thinking of that when looking at pictures of Nigella last night, how fortunate it is for her that (with the exception of the past several months), she seems to be perfectly proportioned.
I totally agree.

The problem with her current figure is that for women, having a gut like that is really not healthy and there are countless studies to tell you why.