New Study About Teens And Sexual Lyrics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
80sU2isBest said:

You know why I think that is, at least in reference to religious culture? Because there many Christians kids who don't "plan" on having sex. But sometimes, when they get in the "heat of the moment", they find out their flesh can win the day over their values.

Or perhaps it's that Christian young people don't use condoms because to use condoms is to "committ" to what you're doing. As long as you're not going out and buying (or getting them free from the school nurse) condoms, you can tell yourself you're not really going to have sex (even when you know good and well that's exactly what you're going to do). This kind of self-deception is quite common in all of us, and having a condom interfers with it.

A couple other random thoughts on this topic:

The hostility to rap to me is analogous to rock in the 50's/60's. It pisses parents off, they don't understand it and call it "noise", it's sexy and considered explicit by the old heads, and worst of all it's---shhh "black."

On the other hand, I definitely have a problem with a lot of the lyrics in todays music especially in much of rap and hip hop. With my students, I encourage them to be aware of what's in the music they listen to and challenge them as to whether those are values they want to represent (especially the young women who are often as big fans as the guys).

I also think it's rather disingenuous to argue that music has no affect on us. (Though granted when I was a teenager I made the same lame argument). If, we use music to get us "in the mood" whether it be for working out, driving, even going to war, not to mention romance, it's a bit absurd to then turn around that music "has no affect." I think you have to make an active effort to "disregard" negative messages in music, otherwise they will have an impact.

maycocksean said:

Or perhaps it's that Christian young people don't use condoms because to use condoms is to "committ" to what you're doing. As long as you're not going out and buying (or getting them free from the school nurse) condoms, you can tell yourself you're not really going to have sex (even when you know good and well that's exactly what you're going to do). This kind of self-deception is quite common in all of us, and having a condom interfers with it.

A couple other random thoughts on this topic:

The hostility to rap to me is analogous to rock in the 50's/60's. It pisses parents off, they don't understand it and call it "noise", it's sexy and considered explicit by the old heads, and worst of all it's---shhh "black."

On the other hand, I definitely have a problem with a lot of the lyrics in todays music especially in much of rap and hip hop. With my students, I encourage them to be aware of what's in the music they listen to and challenge them as to whether those are values they want to represent (especially the young women who are often as big fans as the guys).

I also think it's rather disingenuous to argue that music has no affect on us. (Though granted when I was a teenager I made the same lame argument). If, we use music to get us "in the mood" whether it be for working out, driving, even going to war, not to mention romance, it's a bit absurd to then turn around that music "has no affect." I think you have to make an active effort to "disregard" negative messages in music, otherwise they will have an impact.

I have a problem with rap. I'm a teenager.

Speaking, not singing, over some pre-recorded beats isn't in anyway music. Music involves instruments and talent, ability to songwrite. I know a lot of rappers don't write their own music, which is why people like Eminem actually get respect. But still, the backing track of beats isn't music, half of it was made on a computer.

I don't even have to go into the lyrics to dislike it.

phillyfan26 said:

Speaking, not singing, over some pre-recorded beats isn't in anyway music. Music involves instruments and talent, ability to songwrite. I know a lot of rappers don't write their own music, which is why people like Eminem actually get respect. But still, the backing track of beats isn't music, half of it was made on a computer.

Well, you're certainly entitled to your tastes. I don't listen to much rap myself. But whether something is music or not is in the ear of the listener. I'd be tempted to say a lot of speed metal is not music, and likewise with virtually everything PJ Harvey has done. And The Arcade Fire. But I'm not going to say that. Instead I'm just going to say I don't like the aforementioned music. Can't stand it. That, I think should be enough, for anyone. Is it really necessary to deny it's legitamcy as music?

But my point was a broad one about the attraction of many young teens, particularly white teens to rap music. My point was that rap has replaced rock as the music of rebellion on a societal level. Obviously there are many who do not fit this broad profile, and you would be one of the exceptions. I'm sure there were a lot of kids in the 50's who didn't care for rock and roll too.

maycocksean said:

Or perhaps it's that Christian young people don't use condoms because to use condoms is to "committ" to what you're doing. As long as you're not going out and buying (or getting them free from the school nurse) condoms, you can tell yourself you're not really going to have sex (even when you know good and well that's exactly what you're going to do).

I'm sorry, but I don't think that attitude is very prevalent, if it exists at all. I don't see how that kind of self-deception benefits anyone, or even the purpose of it, or even that anyone would prescribe to it. Honestly, that kind of self deception doesn't make any sense to me. If someone knows full well they're going to do it, then they want to do it. Why even say "I'm not going to do it", and then not buy a condom because of that?

old news in my eye's , ive suspected this for a very long time.

i blame MTV.

80sU2isBest said:

I'm sorry, but I don't think that attitude is very prevalent, if it exists at all. I don't see how that kind of self-deception benefits anyone, or even the purpose of it, or even that anyone would prescribe to it. Honestly, that kind of self deception doesn't make any sense to me. If someone knows full well they're going to do it, then they want to do it. Why even say "I'm not going to do it", and then not buy a condom because of that?

Really? Well, then perhaps I, and not Paul, am chief of sinners because this kind of self-deception is very familiar to me, and I'd always assumed it was human nature. It's my feeling we lie to ourselves all the time--it's what makes it easier to lie to others. It's purpose and benefits are that it enables us to start down a "slippery slope" all the while telling ourselves that we're not really going to end up in trouble. And in this kind of self-deception, you don't really "know full well"--that's part of the self-subterfuge that obtaining a condom would destroy.

As a Christian, of course I think one of the things God can do for us, (if we let Him) is get us to be honest with ourselves.

My son is 28, we talk about how women are protrayed almost a daily basis. He has 2 young daughters. I watch Vh1 and MTV, as much as I can stand. just too try to keep up..
What I see, for the most part is disgusting. However I do see some good videos in the very early morning hours - on VH1 - when I can't sleep.
But this shit from the PussyCat Dolls, Fergie and even Beyonce, who, I would have thought, would be beyond this, and yet there she is in the mix with the other women who are allowing themselves to be objectified.
Please - these women should be representing something else.. Themselves!! YOU ARE STONGER THAN THIS..
Stand up!! damn it .. you don't have to go there..:up:

maycocksean said:

Really? Well, then perhaps I, and not Paul, am chief of sinners because this kind of self-deception is very familiar to me, and I'd always assumed it was human nature. It's my feeling we lie to ourselves all the time--it's what makes it easier to lie to others. It's purpose and benefits are that it enables us to start down a "slippery slope" all the while telling ourselves that we're not really going to end up in trouble. And in this kind of self-deception, you don't really "know full well"--that's part of the self-subterfuge that obtaining a condom would destroy.

As a Christian, of course I think one of the things God can do for us, (if we let Him) is get us to be honest with ourselves.

Maybe I'm not even understanding what you're talking about then.

80sU2isBest said:

You know why I think that is, at least in reference to religious culture? Because there many Christians kids who don't "plan" on having sex. But sometimes, when they get in the "heat of the moment", they find out their flesh can win the day over their values.

:scratch:

wouldn't you want them to have a condom in this situation?

let me ask you this: what's more troubling to you -- 16 year olds having sex, or 16 year olds getting pregnant and/or contracting some nasty STD?

Huh. I think parents doth protest too much the huge amount of influence they actually carry with their children. As much as peers, music, and the like can influence their children, larger still looms the influence parents, teachers, and other adults close to children. I bought all manner of explicit material from age 14 with my mother's knowledge and consent - and experimented with sex without her knowledge and consent (boy, if she knew the half of it, she'd kill me. A dozen times over.) And yet, I fiercely protected my virginity until I was roughly twenty two or so. Why? Because it mattered to me that I got a high school education and was a legal adult before children entered the picture. That, and the fact that we always had information about sex around, that we could read at any time. I knew how babies were made - no stories about storks in my home - and knew exactly how far to go. Boys knew that I'd start breaking bones if they so much as /thought/ about thinking about taking it farther than I wanted to go. My mother coddled me in a lot of respects, and could even be a bit abusive with her overprotection, but she never broke my spirit - a very good thing, that. I was exposed to a lot, and was taught that no one, not even her, could really make me do something I didn't want to do. 'No' meant 'no'.

Of course, I was always a bit of a tigress, and very stubborn. That, fortunately, my mother sort of encouraged, in a backwards sort of way.

More women need to learn to put down the beauty products and start teaching their daughters that they are not the sum total of their body parts by example. Obviously, it's nice to know how to apply makeup (I'm actually very good at it!) and look pretty, but try instilling some sense of self that isn't in connection to what you look like.

phillyfan26 said:

So...by that logic is electronic music also not music? There is certainly a lot of shitty electronica out there, but surely some of it is legit - or is it not just because a computer was used? What's your opinion of, say, Kid A? Is "Treefingers" more of a song than "Party Like a Rockstar?" And what exactly do you mean by "pre-recorded"? Not all beats are sampled from something else, and even the ones that use samples are combined with other elements... I'd say with a lot of mainstream rap if anyone is the "musician," it's the producer. They work wonders.

Of course, there is plenty of shitty rap out there that I probably wouldn't really call music, but there are shitty pop rock songs I wouldn't really call music either... I mean... if you're going to draw a line about what is music and what is not you're gonna end up excluding a lot more than just rap.

And it's not just "speaking." Rappers that have actual flow are quite impressive. Given there are also plenty of rappers who pretty much just do talk, but ... if rap is so easy to make, let's hear your rap record :wink: (and i'm not talking some shitty 50 Cent song, I'm talkin', like, something with actual artistic merit, like Outkast...though even the shitty rap at least knows how to be catchy. But again, half of that is the beat - thank you producers).

But not to turn this into a B&C thread or anything (sorry guys). As for the original topic... I'm sure music does play a part but a very small one. As others have mentioned, it is likely the people who would be having sex anyway that would gravitate towards that kind of music. It's a much larger cultural issue in which music plays a part, but is more of a reflection of problems caused by other things.

I dunno, I listen to some rap with lyrics that objectify women - in some cases it's almost amusing, like when Ben Folds sings so beautifully Dr. Dre's "Bitches Ain't Shit" :wink: but if i really listen to the lyrics of these songs they do kinda make me sick. its not a great message to send (and I'm only singling out rap because it's the big thing today...rock does it too. Just listen to Buckcherry :yuck: )

I can't say I have the urge to perform bukkake on anyone, despite the best efforts of Lil Jon and the East Side Boyz.

That makes sense. If what's going into your head is that sex is something to be taken lightly then you might take sex more lightly yourself.

AnnRKeyintheUSA said:
This is dumb. People have been blaming music for years. Kids have had sex before there were ipods or even rock and roll.

Not to the extent there are today w/the influx of mass media.

Not blaming music entirely for one's behavior, it's ultimately one's choice if they are promiscuous or not, that said it's not rocket science that music can influence or set a mood.

This is an excellent thread Gina.
Glad I stumbled onto it.

dbs

Back
Top Bottom