New Space Initiative - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-09-2004, 02:40 PM   #1
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 11:51 PM
New Space Initiative

Bush Plans To Call for Settlement On Moon

Quote:
President Bush will announce plans next week to establish a permanent human settlement on the moon and to set a goal of eventually sending Americans to Mars, administration sources said last night.

The sources said Bush will announce a new "human exploration" agenda in Washington on Wednesday, six days ahead of the final State of the Union address of his term and just as his reelection campaign moves from the planning stage to its public phase.

The plans grew out of a White House group that was assigned to examine the mission of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration after the space shuttle Columbia disintegrated on Feb. 1, throwing the future of the space program into doubt.

Officials were unwilling to provide cost figures or details and would say only that Bush will direct the government to immediately begin research and development to establish a human presence or base on the moon, with the goal of having that lead to a manned mission to Mars. That endeavor could be a decade or more away, the officials said.

The last humans on the moon, the crew of Apollo 17, landed in 1972.
Now, I know many of you would rather send GWB to the moon, but the benefits of such an initiative are far beyond what we can imagine today.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:44 PM   #2
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 01:51 AM
Re: New Space Initiative

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader

Now, I know many of you would rather send GWB to the moon,
That's one of the best ideas I've heard in this forum.

Old 01-09-2004, 02:45 PM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 03:51 AM

mars , moon , great just re-elect the guy ,
Old 01-09-2004, 04:08 PM   #4
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:51 AM
I hope he volunteers to go to the moon. I would immediately send a donation cheque.
Old 01-09-2004, 04:20 PM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 07:51 AM
Re: New Space Initiative

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Now, I know many of you would rather send GWB to the moon, but the benefits of such an initiative are far beyond what we can imagine today.
What a fantastic idea! Exactly what benefits were you thinking of though? (I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly want to know what benefits will be so great as to justify the massive investment of money this will require.)

I know all you Republicans will start yelling at me for being so sceptical, but I can't help thinking this is something which has been thought up at least partly for political purposes. What a dream of a speech to write..."we're going to colonise the moon"...that speech writes itself! I think that the people who decided the President should pursue this were probably somewhat influenced by how well this idea will do in the opinion polls.

It's like the discussion we had about Mars a few days back: I can think of better uses for the money, like providing clean water to every person on the planet, like researching a cure for cancer, like helping some of the millions of people living on less than a dollar a day...
Old 01-09-2004, 04:40 PM   #6
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: New Space Initiative

Quote:
Originally posted by FizzingWhizzbees

What a fantastic idea! Exactly what benefits were you thinking of though? (I'm not being sarcastic, I honestly want to know what benefits will be so great as to justify the massive investment of money this will require.)

I know all you Republicans will start yelling at me for being so sceptical, but I can't help thinking this is something which has been thought up at least partly for political purposes. What a dream of a speech to write..."we're going to colonise the moon"...that speech writes itself! I think that the people who decided the President should pursue this were probably somewhat influenced by how well this idea will do in the opinion polls.

It's like the discussion we had about Mars a few days back: I can think of better uses for the money, like providing clean water to every person on the planet, like researching a cure for cancer, like helping some of the millions of people living on less than a dollar a day...
I was thinking the same thing, but just didn't feel like feeding to the fire of "why must liberals attack everything Bush does" debate. But honestly I can't think of anything that this does except provide some nice banter for his campaign.

We're not even close to having the technology or being ready for this type of advancement. It just seems way too premature and this makes me question it's purpose.

We're fighting his war on terrorism, we're dealing with one of the largest defecits in recent history, our environment is becoming less and less protected by our government and he wants to make this a priority?!

With a race to get back to the moon and his wanting to start nuclear testing again almost feels like the Cold War again
Old 01-09-2004, 04:58 PM   #7
Refugee

Quote:

Benefits, you say? Previous flights into space have yielded some amazing new technologies which have been incorporated into some of the most startling inventions mankind has ever known. For example:

This pen can write upside-down!
I'm sure someone can come into this thread and list all of the real accomplisments NASA has made over the years since I'm too lazy/sarcastic to do it myself.

In all seriousness part of me is happy to see steps being taken to ensure that we will keep exploring our universe. Still won't sway me to vote for GWB, though.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:10 PM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

A pen that can write upside down? Just use a pencil for goodness sake - they have no problems with gravity!
Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #9
Refugee

Yes, but what if they have to sign a contract in space? Or give autographs? A lot of good some lousy pencil is going to do them then.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:16 PM   #10
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

I know all you Republicans will start yelling at me for being so sceptical
Who was lecturing about sweeping generalizations in the other thread......

Tsk tsk.....and I was about to support your position.

Instead, I will remain silent...rethink my position...because clearly....I must not be thinking straight.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:23 PM   #11
ONE
love, blood, life

Funny how NASA was considered "wasteful spending" when Democrats were at the helm.

Regardless, I think that it is a good idea.

Melon
Old 01-09-2004, 05:27 PM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Who are you going to sign an autograph for in space? It's not like you're going to come across a hoard of screaming fans.

Dread,
Okay...some Republicans will accuse me of being overly sceptical and just hating whatever Bush proposes. Others, perhaps like your good self, will agree with me.
Old 01-09-2004, 05:29 PM   #13
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Re: Re: Re: New Space Initiative

Quote:
Originally posted by Dreadsox

Who was lecturing about sweeping generalizations in the other thread......

Tsk tsk.....and I was about to support your position.

Instead, I will remain silent...rethink my position...because clearly....I must not be thinking straight.
Since when did you start calling yourself a Republican again?
Old 01-09-2004, 05:36 PM   #14
Refugee

Quote:
Who are you going to sign an autograph for in space? It's not like you're going to come across a hoard of screaming fans.
Maybe I shoule use more of these: I thought the silliness of both of my posts in this thread was obvious.
Old 01-09-2004, 07:29 PM   #15
ONE
love, blood, life

Re: Re: Re: Re: New Space Initiative

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

Since when did you start calling yourself a Republican again?
I can't escape the label...in two threads in the past week people have put that label on me, I figure why fight it.....So I guess for FYM purposes...I am a republican.