New Sort of Controversial Thread - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2005, 06:29 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:05 AM
New Sort of Controversial Thread

What are your sacred cows? (Defined here as non-negotiable, non-challengable, those things that make you bristle when you hear criticism).

Over the past several months, I've seen some of the following sacred cows: Religious point of view, political point of view, pro-choice, pro-life, Ayn Rand, U2, America, sacredness of life, ourselves, rock vs. pop, freedom of religion, freedom of speech. Outside the forum (and maybe inside which I've missed), motherhood, hunting, vegetarianism, breastfeeding, affirmative action. Ad Infinitum, and I've taken much pleasure in reading most of the views.

Hopefully, this thread will morph into freerange discussion and challenge. (Or will be removed for being way too broad).

What are your personal sacred cows? And are you ever irreverent to your own?

Old 03-27-2005, 07:29 AM   #2

Local Time: 06:05 AM
Well, I suppose mine would have to be free speech and civil rights. I really believe that is the fundlemental component that a government must have. I guess thats just one for me.

Old 03-27-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 12:05 AM
If life were really sacred and people genuinely believed that there would've been a lot more protesting when they sent soldiers to Iraq. (Random thought I just came up with.)
Old 03-27-2005, 09:47 AM   #4
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:05 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
If life were really sacred and people genuinely believed that there would've been a lot more protesting when they sent soldiers to Iraq. (Random thought I just came up with.)
Old 03-27-2005, 12:53 PM   #5
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:05 AM
I have viewpoints on certain things, but it really doesn't bother me when people disagree w/ me about them

I guess my sacred cows I can think of right now are...

equality based upon race, gender, and sexual orientation

people who abuse others-physically, emotionally, sexually, should suffer proper consequences

respect for other religions and religious beliefs, all I ask for in return is respect for mine

I think the golden rule is a good rule to try to live by
Old 03-27-2005, 04:32 PM   #6
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy
Or maybe they would be protesting for sending troops into Iraq to stop Saddam from murdering even more innocent Iraqi civilians.
Old 03-27-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:05 AM
I guess I would say that my sacred cow is freedom of speech and freedom of religion or lack thereof, and freedom to decide what your politics are going to be and who you're going to vote for and this kind of thing. I'm a practicing Catholic in a state that's only 2% Catholic, and some fundamentalist Protestants think we're some horrible cult. I can't believe what some people go through to convert to Catholicism around here. One girl, only 18, was kicked out of her parents' house. Stuff like that really bothers me. Similarly, I'm a flaming liberal in a very conservative part of the country. I'd be fd if the freedom of speech and conscience laws didn't exist.
Old 03-27-2005, 08:09 PM   #8
Jesus Online

Local Time: 05:05 PM
I've been fighting with my inner hippy for a long long time and after finding it only takes some Rexona and clarity to realise that I am ok with how I view things. My biggest, and probably the only one that really matters to me is life and the right to this life.

I will never understand how Americans in particular divide over life. I dont give much of an arse jab whether it's a bunch of cells or a dirty rotten mass murderer. Life is the gift, not what we are in it or at what stage. A life is a life is a life. Straight across the board. No exceptions.