new Pope! - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-19-2005, 12:38 PM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 01:36 PM
I knew they would pick a conservative pope, and I thought he would be European. I was right, as it turns out. Pope John Paul II chose virtually all of the Cardinals, and they are mostly conservative. There wasn't a snowball's chance in Hell of a liberal getting elected. The liberal/conservative disputes will continue with a passion.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:40 PM   #107
New Yorker

Local Time: 08:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by financeguy

Realistically, every Pope since the very first one has believed that other religions are deficient. Anyone who didn't believe that, would never be made Pope.
Indeed. If I remember correctly, even JPII got in trouble for saying some such. Do you have a date on the Ratzinger article? The push to bring the gap between the Catholic church and other religions came in the second half of JPII's papacy, which also may account for the difference.

Old 04-19-2005, 12:45 PM   #108
New Yorker

deep -- I think you are getting Dustin Hoffman confused with our dear Cliff Claven. Who knew you could become pope after being in Cheers?
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001652/
Old 04-19-2005, 12:46 PM   #109
Blue Crack Addict

Actually, Pope John Paul II was the first pope to even visit a synagogue, the first pope to visit a mosque, the first pope to visit Islamic countries (Turkey, Azerbajan, Syria, and others), as well as other non-Christian countries like India and Japan. At one point he was even blessed in a traditional pagan rite in Africa. So he did reach out to people of other faiths and cultures. We'll see how Benedict XVI, as we must call him now, will do the same. I expect he will. This is all so strange, a new Pope.
Old 04-19-2005, 12:52 PM   #110
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Disappointing, but somehow I still hold out hope that things can change. In my twisted way of thinking, the Pope isn't God or Jesus, so everything's still fine in that regard as far as I'm concerned. I understand and accept people who feel differently about that.

I pray to and answer to God and Jesus, not to the Pope. That doesn't mean I condone such a traditional, conservative, in many ways backwards and bigoted way of thinking.
The only way I have remained a Catholic is to separate the politics of the Church from my faith in God.
Old 04-19-2005, 01:40 PM   #111
Rock n' Roll Doggie

In the end, there are things there are things I don't agree with the Catholic church on as a Christian, so it doesn't mean much to me. Still, you want a good guy in there because of how much power he has.

I'm just going to wait and see how the guy does. He was a personal, long-time friend of PJP's and his personal theologian, so maybe he won't be too bad.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:46 PM   #112
War Child

I said in another thread yesterday that I wouldn't be surprised it was Ratzinger. As it turns out, it is Ratzinger, and I am not surprised. I am surprised how quickly a new Pope got elected though.

I don't like the idea much of him being pope.He certainly was not my choice. I really don't have that type of compliance that some Catholics have-"Well, if it's God's will."
Old 04-19-2005, 03:09 PM   #113
Blue Crack Addict

Expected. Not a fan of what I know of him, but as my mother always told me, "what does your faith have to do with who the Pope is?"
Old 04-19-2005, 03:34 PM   #114
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by JessicaAnn

The only way I have remained a Catholic is to separate the politics of the Church from my faith in God.
Me too. I really have no use for the Church's politics.
Old 04-19-2005, 03:47 PM   #115
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 05:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by anitram
Expected. Not a fan of what I know of him, but as my mother always told me, "what does your faith have to do with who the Pope is?"
Isn't one of the basic tenants of Roman Catholicism that the Pope is essentially infallible?
Old 04-19-2005, 03:48 PM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 09:36 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by deep
Ratzo is Pope?

Wonderful.

When I first saw the picture of the new Pope on MSN, I thought it was Newt Gingrich
Old 04-19-2005, 03:51 PM   #117
Blue Crack Addict

I'll ponder that tenet tonight when I take my birth control pill.

Seriously? If we started a discussion of all tenets that millions of Catholics ignore, we could be here for a looooooong while.

The Pope plays no role in my day to day life whatsoever.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #118
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:36 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by coemgen
It's the german.
My heart just sank. This is such sad news first thing in the morning.
Old 04-19-2005, 04:08 PM   #119
ONE
love, blood, life

One part of the "prophesy" of St. Malachy has indeed appeared to happen.

"Just for historical note, the Benedictine order said that this Pope, the second to last Pope until the end of the world, according to St. Malachy, would belong to their order."

Cardinal Ratzinger is not a Benedictine, but it is no coincidence that he has chosen the name, "Benedict XVI." A theologian has suggested that Ratzinger's choice of that name has nothing to do with Benedict XV, but, instead, to do with Pope St. Benedict I, the conservative founder of the Benedictine order, who was concerned with a "corrupt world" and restoring "traditional values" to fight it. Ratzinger has a very similar mindset, so it would be very unlikely that he would be similar to the more moderate, Benedict XV.

In other words, "Benedict XVI" will probably choose a theology similar to the founder of the Benedictine order, essentially making that "prophesy" true.

Melon
Old 04-19-2005, 04:11 PM   #120
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by nbcrusader
Isn't one of the basic tenants of Roman Catholicism that the Pope is essentially infallible?
Technically only when he makes "ex cathedra" statements, which has only been made three times over the past 2000 years.

However, some believe that the Pope is infallible on all issues of faith and morals, which was not an "ex cathedra" proclamation. Regardless, I think that's just more Vatican arrogance spewing forth. They sometimes forget that they are human beings like the rest of us.

Melon