new Pope!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Maybe not so much in terms on church teachings, although I believe Ratzinger is more conservative. I think the biggest issue is his charisma and how he will spread the message of the church -- in a thoughtful understanding way or a parental way. There is a difference.

Hey, I'm German-American! With a -inger last name! Awesome! I take back everything I said!

Melon -- Benedict XV wasn't so bad. Maybe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XV

His pontificate was dominated by the war and its turbulent aftermath. He organised significant humanitarian efforts (establishing a Vatican bureau, for instance, to help prisoners of war from all nations contact their families) and made many unsuccessful attempts to negotiate peace. The best known was the Papal Peace proposal of 1917, but both sides saw him as biased in favour of the other and were unwilling to accept the terms he proposed. This resentment resulted in the exclusion of the Vatican from the negotations that brought about the war's end; despite this, he wrote an encyclical pleading for international reconciliation, Pacem Dei munus. In the post-war period Benedict was involved in developing the Church administration to deal with the new international system that had emerged.

But this is a mixed bag:
In internal Church affairs, Benedict calmed the excesses of the campaign against supposedly modernist scholars within the Church that had characterised the reign of St. Pius X. He also promulgated a new Code of Canon Law in 1917 and attempted to improve relations with the anticlerical Republican government of France by canonising the French national heroine Joan of Arc. In the mission territories of the Third World, he emphasised the necessity of training native priests to replace the European missionaries as soon as possible.

It is said that Ratzinger fits the role of "caretaker Pope" well. He's old and is the most logical choice to continue the "status quo" until the next Papacy.

Considering that JPII appointed Ratzinger to the CDF in 1981, maybe people will realize how conservative of a Pope he really was.

I will always refer to this Pope as "Cardinal Ratzinger."

Melon

"The Evil Pope"? What do you mean by that? I have not idea who this guy is so I would like to know what the people who are against him have against thim because the guy from NBC was saying he was "delighted that Ratzinger had been elected" because he was a gentle fatherly figure. :huh:

I had related the image of the Pope with JPII way too much now that I realize it.

melon said:

He's done major damage since 1981 as the head of the CDF ("Inquisition"). I also think that he's been in power since JPII got ill, and he's issued plenty of offensive writings over the past 24 years independent of the Vatican.

I find it curious that he chose the name "Benedict XVI." The last "Benedict" was in the early 20th century. Something tells me he wants to go back to that. :|

Melon

Maybe that's just his favorite way to have his breakfast eggs:wink: Sorry for the corny joke there, I couldn't resist. All kidding aside, I feel he is going to be more of a transitional pope. Sooner or later they are going to have to elect someone that is not a European because their base is going to get tired of having leaders from a Continent that ignores their needs.

I think this new pope would be just an interm pope. He's 78, he was probably chosen for his age since supposedly the Vatican doesn't want another long reign like JPII.

JessicaAnn said:
:|

How could you go from having a pope who made so many inroads with the Jewish faith to having someone who was a member of Hitler's Youth?

It was required by law for him (or any German male) at that time to join Hitler's Youth.

sharky said:
Melon -- Benedict XV wasn't so bad. Maybe.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Benedict_XV

His pontificate was dominated by the war and its turbulent aftermath. He organised significant humanitarian efforts (establishing a Vatican bureau, for instance, to help prisoners of war from all nations contact their families) and made many unsuccessful attempts to negotiate peace. The best known was the Papal Peace proposal of 1917, but both sides saw him as biased in favour of the other and were unwilling to accept the terms he proposed. This resentment resulted in the exclusion of the Vatican from the negotations that brought about the war's end; despite this, he wrote an encyclical pleading for international reconciliation, Pacem Dei munus. In the post-war period Benedict was involved in developing the Church administration to deal with the new international system that had emerged.

But this is a mixed bag:
In internal Church affairs, Benedict calmed the excesses of the campaign against supposedly modernist scholars within the Church that had characterised the reign of St. Pius X. He also promulgated a new Code of Canon Law in 1917 and attempted to improve relations with the anticlerical Republican government of France by canonising the French national heroine Joan of Arc. In the mission territories of the Third World, he emphasised the necessity of training native priests to replace the European missionaries as soon as possible.

I find this all so very interesting. The "peace" overtures ("olive branch") and a campaign against modernist scholars that will likely not appear "overzealous." That is, Benedict XV still was anti-modernist; he just learned to do it "smart."

Ratzinger is very anti-modernist. I think his greatest impact will probably be in purging moderate and liberal Catholic theologians from Catholic universities around the world. As such, Catholic universities will cease to be prestigious and just turn into religious propaganda factories like what happened to Southern Baptist universities in the 1970s onwards.

Melon

BrownEyedBoy said:
"The Evil Pope"? What do you mean by that? I have not idea who this guy is so I would like to know what the people who are against him have against thim because the guy from NBC was saying he was "delighted that Ratzinger had been elected" because he was a gentle fatherly figure. :huh:

I had related the image of the Pope with JPII way too much now that I realize it.

Well, that's partly "tongue-in-cheek." Catholic apparition circles in the mid-1990s published a series of prophesies surrounding the end of the world, and one of them was that the successor to JPII would be the "evil Pope" that would destroy the Church. Of course, they labelled the next Pope as uber-liberal. How ironic that, instead, he's uber-conservative as I projected after reading those "prophesies" in the mid-1990s.

Anyhow, the next 444 days (the supposed length of the reign of the "evil pope") should be interesting. I don't really buy "prophesies," really. I do like to observe their supposed details, though.

Melon

If the Church appears to fall apart quickly under Ratzinger, would you maybe believe the prophesy more, Melon? Just curious. It appears that the prophecy was writtten a couple of centuries after the man who supposedly had these revelations had died. I have to admit it would freak me out a little if things started lining up according to his prophecies:huh: I guess we'll have to wait and see.

melon said:

Well, that's partly "tongue-in-cheek." Catholic apparition circles in the mid-1990s published a series of prophesies surrounding the end of the world, and one of them was that the successor to JPII would be the "evil Pope" that would destroy the Church. Of course, they labelled the next Pope as uber-liberal. How ironic that, instead, he's uber-conservative as I projected after reading those "prophesies" in the mid-1990s.

Indeed. The same people will probably now issue new prophecies announcing that God has now relented and "forgiven" his church for the liberal fallacy of the pre-Vatican II era!

AcrobatMan said:
anyone who supports

- secularism
- liberalism
- modernism
- accomodation of atheism
- freedom of choices

and such stuff.
So a secular liberal should become pope in other words... Other than that, specifics were not addressed in your posts.

Maybe the Unitarian church should have a pope.

U2democrat said:
well. i must say from my point of view right now its good to be protestant. :|

It doesn't really concern non- catholics anyway, you get to observe, we get to live it, even if we don't want much to do with it in the first place:wink:

AcrobatMan said:

anyone who supports

- secularism
- liberalism
- modernism
- accomodation of atheism
- freedom of choices

and such stuff.

For a start accomodation for atheism, atheists are not catholic so why should the church accomodate them?

Liberalism is fine and well but truthfully I hate all these terms, conservative liberal et al especially when used in religion, politics has no real place in any religion period, if all religions stick to their teachings, people just like to label them as everythingelse, how about we put all our notions into a bag and label it confusion?

Modernism- I want some things in the catholic church to be updated of course but they have no need to heed the will of non catholics, pure and simple

Freedom of choice, according to Catholicism we have free will bestowed upon us by God, instead of pre-destination that is prominent in some protestant sects

Religion is not about listening it's about teaching, we don't have to listen you know though, I'm loving the way I'm ending my posts right now
:wink:

Last edited:
Hmm, not enarmored with the choice, but I don't think it's going to cause castrophes within the Church or anything like that. The only problem is that he is supposed to be an inteirm Pope, how are you supposed to predict how long someone will live, he could be Pope for 12, 13 years.

One must admit he is ultra-conservative..

On 23rd of January 1984 there was an article by Ratzinger in the Peruan magazine Oiga. With the accusation that Christianity would be disintegrated by Marxism, he took a stance against liberation theology, namely against Hugo Assmann, Gustavo Gutiérrez, Jon Sobrino and Ignácio Ellacuria. If any reason, this would be the reason for me to leave the Catholic church.

On the other hand that´s many years ago..

I wonder if he would publicly speak out against war, which the last Pope did.

Macfistowannabe said:
:up: ZeroDude, for the evaluation.

No problem, I just find that people never really move beyond their own concerns and look beyond what is obvious to themselves personally, this topic is of interest to me as I was raised Catholic in Belfast of all places, so I figured I'd share my thoughts.

If Ratzinger does any good, I'm certain he will try his best to rid the church of paedophile priests with his "no bullshit tolerated" approach and since I agree with the consensus he will only be considered an interim pontiff that should set up the next pope well for what we might call progress.

Back
Top Bottom