New political ad by Michael J. Fox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
:sad: How much has changed in a short space of years.

p.s isnt he canadian ?

I cant believe people on youtube are making fun of this , actually yes i can

Last edited:
I can't open up the vid, it says "loading" but never plays.

This appears to be emotional manipulation at it's finest.

A few quotes from viewers on YouTube articulate the finer points of the argument:

"You want misleading? I'll give you this: The whole argument is whether the US GOVERNMENT should fund this research. PERIOD. Your tax dollars. Private firms will continue to do this important research, and will likely be much more succesful than the GOVERNMENT could ever be. The private sector is where the best & brightest people are in this country, not the government. It's the far left that needs to wake up on this one."

"be fair here-- keep in mind us right-wingers are all for adult stem-cells, which have a long resume of documented cures, and against embryonic, which have yet to be tested on humans (because the lab rats keep dying whenever they get ESC treatments) "

mrmdmm (2 minutes ago)
There is already stem cell research going on everywhere. The real question is, do taxpayers pay for it or do companies do the work on their own with their own money. Fox is being used or is using misinformation - adult stem cells are working and so are cells from umbilical cords-it's a non-issue meant to stir up feelings. The real facts would be nice for once.
(Reply) (Mark as spam)
EMack9989 (1 minute ago)
As a diabetic who would love the have a cure, I sympathize with M.J. Fox but here are the facts. 1) Private donations to help fund embryonic stem cell research is perfectly legal. 2) There have been NO success with EMBRYONIC stem cells. 3) There have been multiple successes with ADULT stem cells.
And the celebrities and politicians are hiding the truth about the issue because... ?

It's not emotional manipulation, it's reality. Actually it isn't even reality, because I have seen him in far worse condition that that. Maybe you should live just one day in his shoes diamond and see what it would be like.

actually by framing the argument claiming there is a cure out there from embryonic stem cells, when it's hasn't been proven, is manipulation.

and then calling ppl who seek reasonable and responsible proof of embryonic stem cell research success, and labeling them as incompassionate is wreckless.

all the while the GOP supports :
adult stem cell research
and cells from umbilicords with a proven track record that
Code:
CURE DIESEASES

one side omits half the truth while labeling the other side with vicious names when upon close examination their whole argument collaspes.

dbs

Last edited:
diamond said:
I can't open up the vid, it says "loading" but never plays.

This appears to be emotional manipulation at it's finest.

:|

Right, like Republicans never manipulate the public. Can we say "Vote for Bush or you and your children will DIE in a devestating TERRORIST ATTACK!"?

That aside, this video is heartbreaking and everyone should see it. Really makes you think. :(

Showing someone with Parkinson's is not emotional manipulation. This stuff goes on every day. It's a devastating disease and one that needs to be researched so that some day we can stop this terrible disease.

I'm autistic and I want a cure. Research on autism is funded by both the government and private funding. I don't think any of it hurts.

MrsSpringsteen said:

"I stated when I saw the ad, I was commenting to you about it, that he was either off the medication or he was acting. He is an actor, after all."

Rush is a pathetic anti-intellectual who knows nothing about science.

It is the medication for Parkinson's that actually makes the jerk movements worse. Without the medication, Michael J. Fox would essentially be in a catatonic state and the way you can tell he's on meds is the pronounced lack of his facial muscles kind of hanging there looking elongated.

It's really a sad social statement that people listen to Rush. I'd be ashamed of myself to actually take anything he says seriously.

I have zero tolerance for people who are anti-intellectual science bashers. Enough is enough, we've let them dictate the terms and frame the arguments for far too long. It's time they are all put in their place and told exactly where to go, in no uncertain terms.

anitram said:

I have zero tolerance for people who are anti-intellectual science bashers. Enough is enough, we've let them dictate the terms and frame the arguments for far too long. It's time they are all put in their place and told exactly where to go, in no uncertain terms.

:up:

diamond said:
all the while the GOP supports :
adult stem cell research
and cells from umbilicords with a proven track record that
Code:
CURE DIESEASES

one side omits half the truth while labeling the other side with vicious names when upon close examination their whole argument collaspes.

Off topic, but I just upgraded to Firefox 2.0 and it underlines all the misspelled words now. You came up with six. :wink:

But, sorry, you're avoiding the truth yourself here. Adult stem cells do not have a proven track record, and, in fact, scientists have claimed to have hit a wall in dealing with them.

Melon

Well, do we really need to cure diabetes, Parkinson's, AIDS, etc. etc. etc.??? I mean, after all, who cares? We've managed to provide the means for 4-hr hard-ons!!!! Is there any greater medical achievement that we could strive for?

:| :censored: :| :censored: :| :censored: :|

anitram said:

26 October, 1998

(CNS) – Ronald Reagan's Alzheimer's Disease has apparently become fodder for at least one late night television comic.

Bill Maher, host of the ABC television program Politically Incorrect, said of the former president, "he's nuts," during the show's Friday night broadcast. The comment was made during a discussion with author Shelby Steele regarding the relative merits of the Reagan presidency and that of Bill Clinton.

According to a transcript of the program downloaded from the network's Internet site, Steele was explaining some of his perspectives on the Reagan Administration when Maher interrupted him and said "He (Reagan) ran up the debt, he lied about something much more important than sex, and he's nuts."

Maher's comment was followed by laughter and then applause, according to the ABC transcript.

"It was more than a shot at my dad. It was a shot at anybody who's got a disease of that nature," the younger Reagan told CNS.

About four million Americans have Alzheimer's Disease, according to the National Institute on Aging and the National Institutes of Health. The groups' Internet site describes Alzheimer's Disease as "one of the most common causes of the loss of mental function."

A disease that usually grows worse over time, Alzheimer's gradually destroys a person's memory, reason, judgment and language skills.

I agree. F Bill Maher.

Back
Top Bottom