New political ad by Michael J. Fox - Page 7 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-25-2006, 07:15 PM   #91
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:52 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

perhaps we should get a DC/NoVA/MD area group together at some point ...

absolutely!

Old 10-25-2006, 08:33 PM   #92
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by U2democrat
I'll take lots of

not for posting in public forums. i like to maintain my sense of mystery.

Old 10-25-2006, 08:42 PM   #93
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM

Of course not
Old 10-25-2006, 09:01 PM   #94
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 11:22 PM
This whole stem cell research thing is dejavu all over again. The world went through this during the test-tube baby debate resulting in Louise Brown being born in Britain as opposed to the US. Since then hundreds of thousands of people are alive and walking the planet thanks to the experiments conducted by scientists over decades.

Regardless what the US decides to do with public funding, stem cell research will continue in other countries. Someone in another country will be the first to benefit from a treatment or "cure" arising from the research. And then the US will hop on board like they did with invitro-fertilization.
Old 10-26-2006, 09:19 AM   #95
Blue Crack Addict

I can't find the video or transcript, but Michael J Fox gave an interview in which they asked him to respond to what Limbaugh said. The gist of what he said was basically that he understands why and how some people don't understand Parkinson's and the way the meds work. What a class act, Rush is a loser. Game over.

Now they are having Jeff Suppan in ads, I guess that isn't "emotional manipulation" and he isn't being "used" because he doesn't have Parkinson's. I would venture a guess that Michael J Fox knows more about the science of stem cell research than Jeff Suppan does

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/sp...cg3EE7q+3D7BDQ
Old 10-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #96
Blue Crack Addict

The ad with Jeff Suppan-and Jim Caviezel as Jesus I guess, speaking Aramaic I guess. Is that manipulative? And the statue.

Old 10-26-2006, 04:31 PM   #97
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:52 PM
What the hell is Patricia talking about in this ad? Isn't selling your eggs to fertility clinics legal now?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:03 PM   #98
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
The ad with Jeff Suppan-and Jim Caviezel as Jesus I guess, speaking Aramaic I guess. Is that manipulative? And the statue.

because we all know that Jesus was a Republican.
Old 10-26-2006, 06:05 PM   #99
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrsSpringsteen
Someone's comment on You Tube- "A rough translation of the Aramaic-
I'm gonna kick your liberal, ignorant, baby-killing, Canadian ass, Foxy"
Oh, that's sweet. I'm telling you some people can be assholes.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:02 AM   #100
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Wow, they musta thrown that ad together in five minutes. The production values are horrible. Anybody else notice the echo-y sound?

And using the Jim Caviezal, presumably as Jesus thing is just wrong. Unconscionable.
Old 10-27-2006, 12:17 AM   #101
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
Wow, they musta thrown that ad together in five minutes. The production values are horrible. Anybody else notice the echo-y sound?

And using the Jim Caviezal, presumably as Jesus thing is just wrong. Unconscionable.
Presumably as Jesus? Was he wearing a tunic and a beard?

Could it be that they used Jim Caviezal because he is one of the most well-known celebrities that supports their cause?
Old 10-27-2006, 12:35 AM   #102
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by 80sU2isBest

Presumably as Jesus? Was he wearing a tunic and a beard?

Could it be that they used Jim Caviezal because he is one of the most well-known celebrities that supports their cause?
Well, at least we're in more agreement over at the Gun Control thread. Great Switzerland post, in case you haven't read my reply yet.

I wouldn't have assumed the Jesus connection except for that weird language he was speaking at the beginning of the clip. Can someone confirm that that was Aramaic (which if it was would definitely suggest to me a Jesus connection) or was it some other language (or just English that boneheaded me couldn't understand).
Old 10-27-2006, 03:09 AM   #103
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

perhaps we should get a DC/NoVA/MD area group together at some point ...
yes, yes we should.

Old 10-27-2006, 06:04 AM   #104
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 03:52 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by maycocksean
Can someone confirm that that was Aramaic (which if it was would definitely suggest to me a Jesus connection)
Yeah, it is, I can tell because I recognize the phrase bar anash, "Son of Man," which is the form the Talmud always uses (ben enosh would be the Biblical Hebrew). I don't know Aramaic, but altogether the phrase--taking the above into account--sounds almost exactly like ha-ben enosh (only here it's bar anash) v'nashaq, which would be Hebrew for "the Son of Man with a kiss," which would make sense because that's a phrase associated with Judas and thus deception, betrayal, etc. (I don't, however, hear anything that sounds like the Hebrew l'ramut, "Dost thou betray...?"). I'm almost certain I'm right, though.

μελετώ αποτυγχάνειν. -- Διογένης της Σινώπης
Old 10-27-2006, 08:51 AM   #105
Blue Crack Addict

Did anyone see Katie Couric's interview with Michael on the news last night? I think this is the extended version.

I guess he's acting here too

http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_vi...ml?id=2129742n

I just cried-yes because of his condition there, but even more so because of the kind of person he is in dealing with it and with all of this bs.

Transcript

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/...n2129702.shtml

MF: "Well, first thing, he used the word victim, and in another occasion, I heard him use the word “pitiable. And I don’t understand, nobody in this position wants pity. We don’t want pity. I could give a damn about Rush Limbaugh’s pity or anyone else’s pity. I'm not a victim. I'm someone who’s in this situation. I'm in this situation with millions of other Americans, whether it’s like I said, for Parkinson’s, or Alzheimer’s, or ALS, or diabetes or spinal cord injury or what have you. And we have a right, if there’s answers out there, to pursue those answers with the full support of our politicians. And so I don't need anyone’s permission to do that. As far as democratic politics go, you know it’s kind of funny, because the argument that I heard from that quarter, was first, that I was manipulating it, that I was a con-man essentially, and I didn’t have the symptoms and was putting them on, so I was perpetrating fraud. And when he backed off then, then it became that I was a dupe of the, a shill for the Democrats, that I was being exploited. And the truth is, I've been involved with this issue since 2000. And in the meantime, separate and apart from my political involvement, I've started a foundation that’s raised $85 million for research and is the second leading fundraiser for Parkinson’s research after the federal government. And um, you know, I'm not a Johnny-come-lately. No one plucked me off the apple cart to come and do this. I mean, I believe in this cause. I’ve put a lot of my life and energy into it, and we're serious about it.

KC: You have said before, this is a bi-partisan problem that requires a bi-partisan solution.

MF: Disease is a non-partisan problem that requires a bi-partisan solution.

KC: Would you support a Republican candidate?

MF: I have. Arlen Specter is my guy. I've campaigned for Arlen specter. He's been a fantastic champion of stem cell research. I've spoken alongside Mike Castle, who's a Republican Congressman. Absolutely. This is not about red states and blue states. This is not about Democrats and Republicans. This is about claiming our place as the scientific leader in scientific research and moving forward and helping our citizens. That’s all it. It’s that simple."