New political ad by Michael J. Fox

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diagnosed with Parkinson's 15 years ago, Michael J. Fox hasn't let the ravages of the disease take his attention from what's really important: His wife, kids and quest for a cure.

"I'm so blessed with a great family, and I've had success in my career," the actor, who's been campaigning for candidates who support stem-cell research, tells PEOPLE in its new issue. "I feel this is a really unique opportunity for me to help out and try to effect change."

Fox, 45, says his condition is now so much a part of his life that even his kids with wife Tracy Pollan – Sam, 17; twins Aquinnah and Schuyler, 11; and Esme, 5 – barely mention it anymore. "They know it so intimately," he says. "It would be like asking your mother what it's like to be that tall."

The disease is also a learning experience for his children. "I think the thing it has taught my kids is resilience," he says. "And that's a great lesson and a great gift I've been able to give them just by example."

Although he first revealed his illness publicly in 1998, he's been in the public eye more than ever recently, in political ads and TV interviews that showcase the involuntary movements often associated with Parkinson's.

"I have less control over the way my body moves," he says. "The thing that gets tougher as you go along is that the medication gets less effective and has more side effects. So it's a lot more challenging."

And not everyone supports his efforts: In response to Fox's ad for Missouri Senate challenger Claire McCaskill, Rush Limbaugh said Fox might have been exaggerating his symptoms, and that he'd never shown such obvious tremors while guest-starring on Boston Legal.

But Boston Legal executive producer Bill D'Elia tells PEOPLE, "Michael has good days and bad, but the debilitating effects of the disease are obvious and ever-present. I've seen Michael during the filming appear just as he did in the commercial. We worked with him and around him to create the scenes we needed."

But Fox and his family do their best to live a normal life, which means "going out to dinner and to movies and traveling and going on vacations," the actor says. "This time of year what we do is supervise homework and get kids to the bus, music lessons, soccer practice and ballet. Just all the regular stuff.

"There's nothing like supervising four kids – one in preschool, two in middle school and one in high school. Between talking about colleges and trying to pick a kindergarten, it's a pretty busy life. It takes your mind off just about everything."

For Tyler Mills, 19, who, confined to a wheelchair with cerebral palsy, showed up to hear Fox speak in Des Moines, Iowa, the actor – and his message – are inspiring: "We need those kinds of advocates, someone to put a face to this issue. I've met Michael. He took the time to talk to me for a half-hour. It was really special."

It's that kind of response, says Fox, that makes all the effort worthwhile. "For a lot of people, (getting Parkinson's) is like being hit by a truck. But in a way it's also gift – one that keeps on taking, but still a gift. To be able to be of service, to help people, that's the greatest privilege I could have."

What a night!!!!!!

I'll post photos and such tomorrow (I even got some video I'll upload to YouTube)

I got some great photos of Gen. Weseley Clark, Michael, and Webb on stage together.

It was absolutely incredible...and while I didn't get to meet Michael I am thrilled that I got to be as close to him as I was (the only people in front of me were news media).

I also met redhotswami :D She's a delight!

ah I'm on such a high.

How cool, U2Dem! I was a big Wesley Clark fan during the last Dem Primaries, and before that, I watched his war coverage on CNN. Very intelligent and insightful. :up: Too bad he lacked political experience.

U2democrat said:
What a night!!!!!!

I'll post photos and such tomorrow (I even got some video I'll upload to YouTube)

I got some great photos of Gen. Weseley Clark, Michael, and Webb on stage together.

It was absolutely incredible...and while I didn't get to meet Michael I am thrilled that I got to be as close to him as I was (the only people in front of me were news media).

I also met redhotswami :D She's a delight!

ah I'm on such a high.

Aww it was nice meeting you too!

And an Al-Jaz interview???? :shocked:
My friend was interviewed by a Canadian reporter. Apparently the whole world was watching this.

And as for the newsmedia in front of you, :lol: I just wanna say that I *used* to be a fan of TV Tokyo, til now! :wink:

U2democrat said:
Oh I was also interviewed by Al-Jazeera tonight...:ohmy:

I bet that's gonna do wonders for your political career! :ohmy:

:wink:

Woot!
IMG_0758.jpg

IMG_0756.jpg

IMG_0753.jpg

Wow I didn't realize my shots were so blurry :reject:

Sorry, it was hard to stay still! Here's me with 2 old high school classmates I met up with that day (after not seeing each other for 6 years! the one on the left is an ex-republican)

IMG_0736.jpg

Here's me with the infamous U2Democrat :)
IMG_0759.jpg

redhotswami said:
In case you were wondering, the big camera in my pics was TV Tokyo. Luckily, these were taken during the time she WASN'T STANDING ON A FRIGGIN CHAIR WITH HER CAMERA!!!!!

There were several times she almost smacked me in the face with the back of her camera :lol:

U2democrat said:

There were several times she almost smacked me in the face with the back of her camera :lol:

:lol: Damn she sure was eager! One of the press behind me thought my head would make for a nice tri-pod for his camera. I kindly let him know otherwise :wink:

Thanks for all the kind comments martha, coriander, & Lila :)

MJF was awesome. His speech really struck me. U2dem, I don't know if you noticed but there was a woman about two people to my right. She was listening intently to him and was shaking a bit while her husband held her. I think she too may have had Parkinson's. It was really touching to see how effected she was by MJF's words.

My friend who was with me started tearing up at one point. Needless to say its an experience I will never forget as long as I live...he's such a wonderful example for people.

Back
Top Bottom