New Michigan PSOR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Liesje

Blue Crack Addict
So, apparently Michigan is now posting photos of sex offenders in our online PSOR. I had checked the registry a few months ago just out of curiosity and was disturbed to find one offender living along my route to school and another within houses of the 4 kids I used to nanny (albeit you can tell by their convictions that they're not sexual predators). It just feels weird to be able to look up their photos.

I dunno, I don't have a problem with our PSOR (we can search by zip code, don't have to know the person's name, and will get a list of their convictions, address, and aliases) or with Megan's Law, but I can see where some might find posting photos a bit too far. What do you guys think?

As do I Doug. But do you think it's fair that (in Michigan at least) a 21 year old who has consensual sex with say, his 15 year old girlfriend gets his crime, address, and picture online (and will get 5 years in the slammer if he forgets to update it) whereas someone who may have beaten his wife and child to death doesn't?

I'm not advocating for the rights of criminals here, it just does seem a bit inconsistent.

The only objection that I have is that Michigan, as far as I know, does not designate between serious and minor sex offenses. A minor sex offense, for instance, would be an instance of consentual statutory rape between an 18 year old and a 15 year old who go to high school together, just as an example. It's not a defense of statutory rape. I just don't think it is fair to smear someone as a pervert for an offense like that.

Now for rapists and child molestors? That's certainly what the list was designed for, and they could conceivably pose a future threat to society.

Melon

My question is, if it's someone like a rapist or a child molester, and the police put them on a list because they feel the person's at risk to do this again, why even let them out of jail in the first place? I have never understood that. Just leave them in jail where they belong, then we wouldn't have this problem.

That being said, I do agree with melon on this one.

Angela

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
As do I Doug. But do you think it's fair that (in Michigan at least) a 21 year old who has consensual sex with say, his 15 year old girlfriend gets his crime, address, and picture online (and will get 5 years in the slammer if he forgets to update it) whereas someone who may have beaten his wife and child to death doesn't?

I'm not advocating for the rights of criminals here, it just does seem a bit inconsistent.

Perhaps the sentencing of violent criminals is harsher than for sex crimes.

Also, the recidivism rate for sex crimes may be higher prompting the greater need for warning.

I know the one in my state has different levels of offense, I'm not even sure how they're defined. I can see a problem if it was consensual sex involving a minor, but how many cases out of all of them are really like that?

I for one am sick of the offenders' rights prevailing over the concern for the safety of children. That's certainly what it seems like to me.

MrsSpringsteen said:
I know the one in my state has different levels of offense, I'm not even sure how they're defined. I can see a problem if it was consensual sex involving a minor, but how many cases out of all of them are really like that?

I for one am sick of the offenders' rights prevailing over the concern for the safety of children. That's certainly what it seems like to me.

I do think common sense should prevail, which seems to be very lacking in our rather hysterical society.

Melon

But I don't think common sense can always save childrens' lives. If we know about these people living among us, maybe that knowledge can actually create some power.

Of course parents have to have common sense and teach their kids common sense-but that's not always enough.

MrsSpringsteen said:
But I don't think common sense can always save childrens' lives. If we know about these people living among us, maybe that knowledge can actually create some power.

Of course parents have to have common sense and teach their kids common sense-but that's not always enough.

Smearing someone who committed consentual statutory rape within a close age range (18 versus 15, for instance) does nothing but ruin someone's life. And that's what a lot of these lists do. Sure, it may be the smallest of minorities on that list, and I'm not advocating throwing the list out altogether, but that's where Congress should exercise common sense and change the law, even if just to tweak it.

A local judge around here in Michigan has echoed this sentiment, so I'm not alone in this. This list should only reflect people who do pose a potential danger to society, rather than every and all sex crime, some of which are very minor.

Melon

melon said:
Smearing someone who committed consentual statutory rape within a close age range (18 versus 15, for instance) does nothing but ruin someone's life. And that's what a lot of these lists do. Sure, it may be the smallest of minorities on that list, and I'm not advocating throwing the list out altogether, but that's where Congress should exercise common sense and change the law, even if just to tweak it.

If we are going to have statutory rape laws, they should not be undercut by a lessor standard of consequences.

http://news.bostonherald.com/localRegional/view.bg?articleid=83058&format=&page=1

"Most of them flee to different states to try and beat the system,'' Hunter said.`They're marked and everybody's watching them. They've told me they feel its improper they're posted, they feel they've done their time.''

But the state Sex Offender Registry Board believes otherwise. They have classified all as Level 3 sex offenders, meaning they're most likely to reoffend."

nbcrusader said:
You would rather keep sexual predators a secret?
For people like you and i yes,..not for the police. The offenders should know that that they be watched CLOSELY by the LAW not by a scared idiot that likes to believe that he and his child is save knowing it.. What do you think what will happen if one off your children would be raped,..you will go first to the offender that is on that website and is living in the neighboor hood of you without thinking, is he guilty or not.

Rono said:
For people like you and i yes,..not for the police. The offenders should know that that they be watched CLOSELY by the LAW not by a scared idiot that likes to believe that he and his child is save knowing it.. What do you think what will happen if one off your children would be raped,..you will go first to the offender that is on that website and is living in the neighboor hood of you without thinking, is he guilty or not.

I disagree. Police forces, especially in large metropolitan areas barely have enough resources to deal with the crime they have, let along monitor known sexual predators. I don't think the PSORs will effect where I choose to live if/when I have kids, but I will definitely check and figure out who's-who in the neighborhood.

And I also agree with Doug on the statutory rape thing. That's still a stupid choice people making knowing it's illegal and knowing theyir face could be posted online for the next 10 years. Yet, they make that choice....

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

I disagree. Police forces, especially in large metropolitan areas barely have enough resources to deal with the crime they have, let along monitor known sexual predators. I don't think the PSORs will effect where I choose to live if/when I have kids, but I will definitely check and figure out who's-who in the neighborhood.

And I also agree with Doug on the statutory rape thing. That's still a stupid choice people making knowing it's illegal and knowing theyir face could be posted online for the next 10 years. Yet, they make that choice....
I would like to see drunkdrivers also on internet, they are more dangerous for my kids,...

Back
Top Bottom