New Jersey Governor resigns, admits he is gay

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's too bad that he has to resign, but he has not done much for the state and has been embarked in controversey since he began.

Dreadsox said:
But being Gay is not why he resigned. read the article.

I know, that was yahoo's headline. Rumor is that the guy he had an affair with was one of his staffers and that the staffer is now suing for sexual harassment.

This story has me in tears, and I'm at work...

Sexual harassment is wrong, and if McGreevy is guilty of this, that's bad.

He's also married to his second wife, and has two daughters, one from each marriage. And if he cheated on his wives with others, that's wrong.

Yet...he's free. He doesn't have to pretend to be something he isn't anymore. He's finally comfortable enough with himself to admit to the world that he prefers to be with men.

How I wish we lived in a world that sexual preference didn't matter, that we were all free to love who we love without anyone judging us or ostracizing us or even harming us.

I will wish Governor McGreevy all the best in his new life.

because he had a gay affair

perhaps he thinks that people will reckon that if you can't trust someone in his personal life you also can't trust him professionally

since you can't trust politicians anyway though
it hardly matters to me :D

Last edited:
Diane L said:
How I wish we lived in a world that sexual preference didn't matter, that we were all free to love who we love without anyone judging us or ostracizing us or even harming us.

:up: :yes:

Thank-you, that was an excellent post. :)

FizzingWhizzbees said:

But would he have resigned if he was straight and had an affair, or is it because he had an affair with another man?
I hope his resignation isn't because the affair was with another man instead of with a woman

but we can only guess
because in the end having an affair alone can been seen as sufficient reason to resign as a governor

I do not feel badly for him at all. Sorry....the tears I have are for his wife and kids.

I would say the same if he had an affair with a woman.

apparently details are slowly leaking out... i didn't think he'd resign just because he was gay, or just because he might be sued, and it apperas that might very well be the case.

apparently the man mcgreevy was having an affair with was kept on state payroll to the amount of over 100,000 dollars of tax payer money, despite the fact that he was no longer allowed to keep his job as homeland security advisor for the state because the national homeland security office wouldn't share information with a non US citizen (the man was an israeli national)

Oh, OK, so apparently it's because he really did do something wrong. If you do something that's wrong you've got to pay, I don't give a :censored: who it is.

Last edited:
well, all I can say is maybe we'll get a govenor who'll pave the roads and have faster construction projects in this f*!ckin state.

driving in n.j.:down:

Dreadsox said:
I do not feel badly for him at all. Sorry....the tears I have are for his wife and kids.

I would say the same if he had an affair with a woman.

I agree. They must be going through some serious heartache right now. :sad:

It seems that when a married man comes out of the closet, everyone says how brave he is, how strong. But no one gives a thought about the wife who feels abandoned and betrayed. :( If the man had had an affair with a woman, everyone would condemn him and sympathise with the wife. This strikes me as a bit of a double standard.

Sue DeNym said:

I agree. They must be going through some serious heartache right now. :sad:

It seems that when a married man comes out of the closet, everyone says how brave he is, how strong. But no one gives a thought about the wife who feels abandoned and betrayed. :( If the man had had an affair with a woman, everyone would condemn him and sympathise with the wife. This strikes me as a bit of a double standard.

As the daughter of a gay man all I have to say is don't be so quick to judge unless you truely understand the pressures. In this type of situation everyone in the family suffers. Everyone.

I don't condone his affair, or his apparent handling of the aftermath, but I also won't completely condem the man.

indra said:

As the daughter of a gay man all I have to say is don't be so quick to judge unless you truely understand the pressures. In this type of situation everyone in the family suffers. Everyone.

I don't condone his affair, or his apparent handling of the aftermath, but I also won't completely condem the man.

:up: I agree. I've known a few people in this situation and it's just not so black and white.

Can I just take this opportunity to say how much I hate it when it's said that people " admit" they're gay, as if it's something to be ashamed of!? :angry:

DrTeeth said:
Can I just take this opportunity to say how much I hate it when it's said that people " admit" they're gay, as if it's something to be ashamed of!? :angry:

Sadly, many are ashamed, and frightened, and confused. Which is exactly why there are situations such as this one. There shouldn't be any reason to be ashamed, but just think about the nasty stereotypes, the gay bashing, as well as the fear of being condemed to Hell many gays face. I think we all have to work to help to eradicate the prejudice gays face. Perhaps then it will be safe for everyone to be able to live their lives without shame.

If it's true that he did something wrong, something that would've negatively affected the state and all that, then by all means he should step down. And I don't condone his having an affair, either-affairs are wrong no matter which way you slice it.

However, I still don't think politicians' sex lives should be made national news to begin with, I don't give a care who they are. It's not my business-only he, the man he had the affair with, and his family need to be concerned.

Angela

he should resign now and let the legal process take place... an election in november and a new governer based on the will of the people. waiting until november to resign reeks of politics... if he really wants to do this for the good of the state, then he should step down now and let the people of the state decide who replaces him.

An affair is an affair wheather it's with a man or a woman. I hate how so many people (not pointing fingers here) are so much more sympathetic to gay men.

Come on people, a gay guy who fools around is just as much of a jerk as a straight guy. He's putting his family through hell and he knows it. He chose to do that.

JOFO said:
well, all I can say is maybe we'll get a govenor who'll pave the roads and have faster construction projects in this f*!ckin state.

driving in n.j.:down:

Yeah...right.

Not since the roads were originally paved in NJ has there been a governor who could keep the highway system up.

shart1780 said:
An affair is an affair wheather it's with a man or a woman. I hate how so many people (not pointing fingers here) are so much more sympathetic to gay men.

Come on people, a gay guy who fools around is just as much of a jerk as a straight guy. He's putting his family through hell and he knows it. He chose to do that.

I didn't say I condoned it, but I do have some understanding of it that prevents me from completely condeming him either. It's in no way a black and white issue. The thing is he shouldn't have felt pressured to get married (to a woman, that is) in the first place. I can't imagine living my whole life trying to be what society told me I must be, but not feeling that way, no matter how hard I tried.

Back
Top Bottom