New Jersey embraces civil rights for all couples - Page 34 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-31-2006, 07:39 PM   #496
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 04:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
8 more posts till the thread is closed!
Let's see how many I can fill up singlehandedly.

Melon

Old 10-31-2006, 07:40 PM   #497
Blue Crack Supplier

i do think that there are many people in here who would benefit greatly from knowing gay people, and seeing their relationships and understanding that they are every bit as magical, maddening, euphoric, depressing, messy, and human as any heterosexual relationships. homosexuality is EXACTLY the same as heterosexuality.

i find it odd that people who will wax about man's essential spiritual nature and metaphysical relationship to the incarnation of a diety, and then turn around and reduce marriage to penises and vaginas.

so, yes, i do think it comes down to simple prejudice. not hateful prejudice, not spiteful prejudice, but ignorant prejudice.

go meet some gay people.

no, that's not me and Memphis

Old 10-31-2006, 07:42 PM   #498
Blue Crack Supplier

i also want to toss out the slippery slope argument in the other direction -- when we say that the races can marry, what's next? if they say that race doesn't matter, are they going to say that gender doesn't matter either?

keep marriage traditional!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #499
She's the One

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511
no, that's not me and Memphis
Old 10-31-2006, 07:44 PM   #500
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by INDY500
Opinions, one line or otherwise.
If "heteros" (since they seem to take offense to being called "breeders." But hey...it wasn't me who said that marriage was all about making babies...) are willing to call their conjugal partner a "civil union," legally, I'm more than willing to accept a wide-scale version of domestic partnership.

However, just to clue you in on it, the gay community isn't like an extra special episode of "The Golden Girls." We're as much capable of love as the penis/vagina equivalent. I'm not about to accept "separate but equal" treatment, merely because you want to feel superior.

Unless everyone is ready for the title, "civil union," I'm not about to accept such a demeaning title. My future same-sex marriage will be as blessed by God as everyone else's union.

Melon
Old 10-31-2006, 07:45 PM   #501
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 PM
I imagine many people who oppose gay marriage and/or civial unions would say "some of my best friends are gay."

They just don't finish the sentence: "but I don't like them enough to want to allow them the basic rights I take for granted."

Woo Hoo!!! I got post #500!!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #502
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
The graph is fairly straight forward, it just doesn't show causation.
Ah yes. Isn't that the flaw of every right-wing argument against same-sex marriage?

Melon
Old 10-31-2006, 07:46 PM   #503
She's the One

Local Time: 01:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

Unless everyone is ready for the title, "civil union," I'm not about to accept such a demeaning title. My future same-sex marriage will be as blessed by God as everyone else's union.
I can't stand the term "civil union." It implies second class status. I take such joy, comfort, and solace from my marriage that I want everyone to be able to experience what I've got.

(Now watch someone jump all over my use of the term "everyone" while completely ignoring the context.)
Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 PM   #504
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:

I can't stand the term "civil union." It implies second class status. I take such joy, comfort, and solace from my marriage that I want everyone to be able to experience what I've got.

(Now watch someone jump all over my use of the term "everyone" while completely ignoring the context.)
OMG Animals???

jk. I agree wholeheartedly. I don't understand the justification behind denying people in love the peace, stability, and comfort that a marrige can bring to the relationship.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #505
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 03:53 PM
Goodbye thread.

I can't say I'll exactly miss you.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:51 PM   #506
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

you know we're TOTALLY cuter.

Old 10-31-2006, 07:53 PM   #507
Blue Crack Addict

What puzzles me most is that we now do have jurisdictions around the world where gay marriage is legally acceptable. So you can use those places as pretty good models of what has happened post-introduction of gay marriage rights.

And seriously, nothing has changed for 90% of society (or whatever the number is) who aren't personally going to marry someone of their own gender. Nothing has changed socially for us, nothing has torn apart our moral fabric, and frankly, nobody even thinks about it that much anymore.

So these speculations of how terrible this would be for the society at large are rather easily debunked.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:54 PM   #508
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:53 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by melon

If "heteros" (since they seem to take offense to being called "breeders." But hey...it wasn't me who said that marriage was all about making babies...)
Melon
Melon, I've never called you or ANY other homosexual person any intentionally derogatory name. NEVER. I can sympathise with your anger, but never truly understand it as I'm not homosexual. you, however, are also not heterosexual nor are you female, so you cannot fully understand why the term "breeder" pisses me off. Can't you at least realise that? If not you are every bit as bad as the people you despise.
Old 10-31-2006, 07:55 PM   #509
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar
Goodbye thread.

I can't say I'll exactly miss you.
Ah just think? This thread was about New Jersey embracing civil rights. And it turned into a free-for-all gay bashing thread.

I know what I'm going to do the next time there's a thread on Christianity. There's enough skeletons in its historical closet to make for a nice Christian-bashing thread. After all, it's only fair that I return the favor in kind.

Melon
Old 10-31-2006, 07:58 PM   #510
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by indra
I can sympathise with your anger, but never truly understand it as I'm not homosexual.
You're right. You know, same-sex marriage is one issue, but just getting people to recognize that gay people exist is an insurmountable task in itself. That's what makes these threads piss me off to no end.

I am not perfect, and anyone who claims to be is lying. So you have my apologies for offending you.

Melon