New Jersey embraces civil rights for all couples - Page 21 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Lypton Village > Free Your Mind > Free Your Mind Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-30-2006, 02:11 PM   #301
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:50 AM

Old 10-30-2006, 02:32 PM   #302
She's the One

Local Time: 09:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by AEON

I have re-read this several times and I can't seem to make any sense of it. I take the blame. Could you please re-phrase this for me? Thanks.

Quote:

I do not want to enable or encourage an activity, institution, or relationship which I believe will only keep people from truly knowing the healing power of Christ. That’s my sole motivation.
So gay married people won't know the "healing power of Christ." So how come this is any of your business? Unless you somehow feel it's become your job to protect them from their evil decisions?

And if this isn't smug self-righteousness disguised as Christianity!

Old 10-30-2006, 02:35 PM   #303
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Local Time: 10:50 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Irvine511

so by denying me marriage, you're going to bring me closer to Jesus?
I view gay marriage as an "endorsement" of homosexual behavior. Since I believe homosexual behavior a sin (and have given my reasons in other threads), and because sin keeps us distant from God, I will not vote for something that I believe perpetuates the distancing.
Old 10-30-2006, 02:36 PM   #304
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by martha
So gay married people won't know the "healing power of Christ." So how come this is any of your business? Unless you somehow feel it's become your job to protect them from their evil decisions?

And if this isn't smug self-righteousness disguised as Christianity!
Seriously. So AEON, given your line of reasoning, you'd support banning and criminalizing divorce and adultery? Honestly, I'd have to think you a hyprocrite unless you'd support banning other "sinners", such as alcoholics, greedy people, smokers, etc from ever getting married.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:45 PM   #305
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

I view gay marriage as an "endorsement" of homosexual behavior. Since I believe homosexual behavior a sin (and have given my reasons in other threads), and because sin keeps us distant from God, I will not vote for something that I believe perpetuates the distancing.

So you´ve never "sinned" in your life? You´re not being fair. You´re basically a pot calling the kettle black.

OUR Jesus said that he who is free of sin may throw the first stone... Why are you passing judgement and condemning someone whom you are no better than? Why are you throwing a stone?

Love your neighbor, my friend. Even if he is a liar, a thief, a homosexual ...a sin is the same sin in His eyes.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:46 PM   #306
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by Liesje

Seriously. So AEON, given your line of reasoning, you'd support banning and criminalizing divorce and adultery? Honestly, I'd have to think you a hyprocrite unless you'd support banning other "sinners", such as alcoholics, greedy people, smokers, etc from ever getting married.
I do not equate keeping the definition of marriage the way it is with criminalizing homosexual acts. My larger point, as I mentioned earlier, is that everyone votes their morality. We impose our moral views on each other in every action we perform, whether we intend to or not.

Also, endorsement and criminalization are separate ideas.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:49 PM   #307
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by BrownEyedBoy

So you´ve never "sinned" in your life?
Lol. Where in the world did this come from? When have I ever claimed to be sinless?

It seems you may have jumped in on the last page of this thread. I encourage to read the entire thread.
Old 10-30-2006, 03:52 PM   #308
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

so don't be a homosexual and don't marry a homosexual.

why do you have to use the government to control my non-criminal behavior and deny me rights?

i can see you trying to convert me to Christ and then i'll be free of my homosexuality; i can see how your understanding of the Bible might lead you to believe it's wrong; i can see how you might want to encourage me to live a more sinless life; but i cannot understand why you need to deny me financial rights and incentives and the tools to create a stable relationship in order to do so.

i don't see why the legalization of something means that you, AEON, personally endorse the behavior. simply because one supports the legalization of marijuana, for example, does not mean that one thinks it's a good idea to smoke up. do people who abstain from any alcohol feel as if they need to fight for another era of Prohobition lest they be seen as endorsing the behavior?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:01 PM   #309
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Love your neighbor, my friend. Even if he is a liar, a thief, a homosexual ...a sin is the same sin in His eyes.

see, this is irritating too.

why mention homosexuality in the same breath as lying and stealing? those specific actions harm other people; a sexual orientation harms no one.

no one.

and it is not chosen. sexual orientation is totally involuntary, and isn't part of sin choosing to defy god?
Old 10-30-2006, 04:05 PM   #310
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:

why mention homosexuality in the same breath as lying and stealing? those specific actions harm other people; a sexual orientation harms no one.

no one.

and it is not chosen. sexual orientation is totally involuntary, and isn't part of sin choosing to defy god?
The guy said he viewed homosexuality as a sin. Just trying to disprove that argument.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:15 PM   #311
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Since I believe homosexual behavior a sin (and have given my reasons in other threads), and because sin keeps us distant from God, I will not vote for something that I believe perpetuates the distancing.
Then why not vote and outlaw all the other sins? Ban divorce, don't allow churches to hire women in teaching roles, jail time for not honoring your mother or using the lord's name in vain... Come on be consistent!!!
Old 10-30-2006, 04:16 PM   #312
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:

So logically you have to say that straight marriage is an endorsement of hetero behavior. How could you not? Straight marriage is full of sinful behavior- straight people sin in their marriages all the time. They cheat, they abuse, they neglect-and on and on and on. So unless you will admit that you insist that straight marriage is inherently "sinless" regardless of the behavior of the man and woman, just by virtue that it is between a man and a woman (which is a belief not rooted in logic and reason but in the religious beliefs of SOME religious people), how could you endorse straight marriage? Granted we have never voted on straight marriage, but that is a logical question based upon what you have said here.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:20 PM   #313
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

The guy said he viewed homosexuality as a sin. Just trying to disprove that argument.

oh, okay. understood.

Old 10-30-2006, 04:25 PM   #314
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:

no one.
Irvine, I refer back to the idea that we are all cracked and weak and depend on God for healing. One of my favorite stories in the Bible is where Jesus heals a blind man. However, before He heals the man, He asked him if he WANTS to be healed. It seems like a strange question doesn’t it? You would think that this man obviously would love to be healed.

However, so often (too often), our identity is wrapped around our brokenness. And I am just as broken as you are, and I also have to struggle to keep my identity in Christ – and not on my old, broken self.
Old 10-30-2006, 04:32 PM   #315
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

So now being gay is a disease or defect? Wow...